What music are you listening to?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Its a new year again and the wheel of time brings us back to the same procedure as every year: Selecting the German song for the Eurovision Song Contest. After some error last year by the responsible manager to select full-time conspiracy theorist Xavier Naidoo without "democratic" vote and the resulting public reaction (Who really wanted to send somebody to a competition to represent a country which existence the artist rejects in interviews), a classic selection process had been chosen again, with the usual mixture of old novelty songs, boring casting show winners, stars past their prime, many rather unknown pop bands and an alibi rock song. Which this time is by metal supergroup Avantasia:

Am I the only one who feels reminded on a famous Texan vocalist/actor and his musical-composing love-hate buddy? (Not just because of the length of the song title)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Rob Scallon again... this time with Bach :rofl:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h7LW3FKjBY"]Bach Metal - YouTube[/ame]

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As Urwumpe pointed out in the Random Comment thread, Jimmy Bain, bassist for Rainbow, Dio, and several other acts died yesterday. This was his last band, "Last in Line", which consisted of the original 3 musicians from Dio: Bain, Vinnie Appice, and guitarist Vivian Campbell, and singer Andrew Freeman. This lineup of Dio was my favorite and Jimmy Bain will be missed. Why do our rock stars have to get old?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8t-9o-jyrI"]Last in Line - Devil in Me (Official Video / Studio Album / 2016) - YouTube[/ame]

Bibi Uncle

50% Orbinaut, 50% Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks Andy for sharing, I didn't know this band, but it sounds really great.

I've been listening Brain Salad Surgery for the past few days. This album is wonderful. Karn Evil 9 must be listened once in a lifetime. But Jerusalem is less known, but still great :
https://youtu.be/iFbJQ65xJSg

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Some modern AiC. I love this vid and think this tune is as good as anything they did back in the day:

And speaking of back in the day with Layne Staley:

steph

Reaction score
Heard a thrash song yesterday but couldn't find which one it was. I'm pretty sure it's something by early Sodom/Exodus/ maybe Kreator. The encore had some quite mournful wail by the vocalist, and I couldn't really get the lyrics. Then in the second half of the song came a very heavy , long and groovy riff which completely blew me away.

It was definitely something out of the early thrash albums. Think late 80's , at most early 90's. Now I'm stuck sifting through thrash mixes to find it. It's pretty known, I've heard it before , so it can't be THAT hard :lol:

Edit: might be Testament actually.

Last edited:
E

ex-orbinaut

And it just keeps raining. Paul Kantner, founder of Jefferson Airplane, RIP.

And apparently so did Signe Anderson, on the 28 of January, singer on this, one of my favorite tracks sung by the 'Airplane. RIP.

Last edited by a moderator:

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Liv Kristine is very talented. She can sing both New Norwegian and Old English.

Dessert: Liv doing Mike Oldfield's cover.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO7--KBgpAQ"]Equinoxe 5 - YouTube[/ame]

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Saw Slayer live tonight. Awesome show. So I'm kind of deaf for the next few hours because I forgot my earplugs. But this is what was listening to a few hours ago.