What would you name a space shuttle?

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'd name it "Nelly". Nelly is a good name for a (white) elephant.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Why not "Titanic"? I mean...aside of it sounding a bit imperial, what could go wrong? ;)

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
Why not "Titanic"? I mean...aside of it sounding a bit imperial, what could go wrong? ;)

Hmm..
Maybe some people don't want to fly with it.
But an inerestiong name though.

ijuin

Reaction score
No more so than Virgin Galactic, which also currently has no plans to go beyond LEO (and won't even reach THAT till SpaceShipThree is ready maybe a decade from now).

Lunar_Lander

Reaction score
I'd say in honour of the man who helped to find out what really happened on Challenger, I would name a Shuttle "Richard P. Feynman".

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
impodent - kinda tells the whole story about the STS.

.-.. --- ... -
Reaction score
how about...
Xenos

i like it

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Producers of Space Cowboys should be sued. Naming a spacecraft Daedelus is a copyright infringement, IMO. Virgin Interactive got there first when they released the game The Daedelus Encounter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daedalus_Encounter .

One of my favorite ship names comes from the Star Trek universe. It's a vessel name as well as a vessel class name. I'd have liked to see it on the side of a shuttle.

Excelsior

RocketMan_Len

Reaction score
Just curious... but why bother with names AT ALL...? How many airliners do you know that have names? Sure, there's romance involved in the naming of a ship - nobody will forget something like 'Spirit of St. Louis' - but how many times do you hear "Airliner Wilbur Wright now boarding at Gate Three"...? :rofl:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

tylor2000

long time orbiter fan
Donator
Reaction score
Чайка (Sea Gull) ;)

Is the translliteration cha-ee-ka? That's not quite a transliteration but maybe how it is pronounced?

---------- Post added at 07:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 AM ----------

How about naming the shuttle after one of the engineers?

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Just curious... but why bother with names AT ALL...? How many airliners do you know that have names? Sure, there's romance involved in the naming of a ship - nobody will forget something like 'Spirit of St. Louis' - but how many times do you hear "Airliner Wilbur Wright now boarding at Gate Three"...? :rofl:

All of the airliners I know have names. KLM and Scandinavian both name their aircraft. In some cases they name 'em after destinations or places, in other cases they name them after famous historical people. In some cases I've seen 'em named for famous pilots.

RocketMan_Len

Reaction score
Interesting... I did not know that - thank you. :speakcool:

It's not something you realize, listening to the airport boarding calls or landing announcements...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is the translliteration cha-ee-ka

That should be about right, but writing it like that tempts you to put the emphasis on the "ee", while I think čay would be one syllable and the emphasis is on the whole (pronouncing CHAnge in cockney should sound very similiar). At least I would pronounce it like that if the word was in a south slavic tongue (russian is east slavic, if I'm not wrong)...