Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Fascinating, the way of the meat...

From Romania to Southwest France, to central France, to the UK. Maybe the late revenge for Agincourt.

Keatah

Reaction score
Well that certainly backs up the reason behind wet-utility-brush smell that emanates from me 24 hours after burger. A putrid rotting odour, that's for sure.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Fascinating, the way of the meat...

From Romania to Southwest France, to central France, to the UK. Maybe the late revenge for Agincourt.

And everyone says "That's not me!" ...
Here in France, even if we are "not touched" by this, "customers" associations (I don't have the right word) wants to add labels on the enveloppes to know where comes all the ingredients.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just general renditions. Like "We decided to keep you one year longer here, because we believe you are not cooperating with us."

Ah, I think the term got lost in translation a little bit, but I think it could be applied in this case. Instead of beating the prisoners, they're forced to listen to karaoke night with the guards :lol:. (Better context for the word)

Mister Mxyzptlk

Reaction score
Actually, because horses aren't raised in a feedlot environment and dosed with hormones and antibiotics, the meat is most likely healthier for humans.

Correct me if I am wrong.

FADEC

Reaction score
While I was working for a big German forwarder 13 years ago, which operates Europe-wide, I had "French" beef on my forklift which came from GB even during the BSE crisis. But you could only know it when you knew and talked to the trucker. The end-consumer couldn't know it.

Maybe it was the late revenge for the V2 :lol:

But France seems to be a big hub for European meat.

Spaced

Reaction score
While I was working for a big German forwarder 13 years ago, which operates Europe-wide, I had "French" beef on my forklift which came from GB even during the BSE crisis. But you could only know it when you knew and talked to the trucker. The end-consumer couldn't know it.

Maybe it was the late revenge for the V2 :lol:

But France seems to be a big hub for European meat.

Nah we would have used a super sheep or a banana bomb. Far more effective than 3 mad cows.

I ate British beef all through the 'crisis'. It never did me or my imaginary friend any harm. ;) :blink: ;) ;) ;) ;) :blink: ;) ;) ;) :thumbup:

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Didn't affect me either, moo, :censored:-a doodle doo, quack...neigh!

N.

FADEC

Reaction score
I ate British beef all through the 'crisis'. It never did me or my imaginary friend any harm. ;) :blink: ;) ;) ;) ;) :blink: ;) ;) ;) :thumbup:

I did eat it as well :)

Back then I already expected that the BSE crisis was one of those exaggerated epidemics anyway, dramatized by experts and the media as usual. The prophesy was that up to 50% of the European population could suffer from it in 10-15 years... /yawn

Just as ridiculous as the last swine flu panic. It was foreseeable that it would silently disappear from the TV screens and newspapers, not causing more deaths than any other flu epidemic. It even was less. Good I never got a flu shot. That was really the only intention behind that panic.

By the way: in this case it's only horse meat. It's fraud yes, but aside from that it actually should be considered a healthy fraud. Horse meat contains less fat than beef, and it's more delicate :thumbup:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's only the beginning. One day it will be cheaper to grow steaks from in-vitro cloned cells... from undefined species... :shifty:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
By the way: in this case it's only horse meat. It's fraud yes, but aside from that it actually should be considered a healthy fraud. Horse meat contains less fat than beef, and it's more delicate :thumbup:

and phenylbutazone which is barred from the human food chain and is harmful to humans. So it's not the horsemeat as such but rather the drugs they've been giving the horses that have ended up on our plates.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/11/horsemeat-bute-very-low-risk

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
When they already start using cheaper natural ingredients secretly, it can only be expected that they will also save money on other ends, like quality assurance and the use of chemicals or antibiotics.

If we don't watch out, we will soon be paying enormous amounts of money for the worst kind of junk, without any chance to tell, what we are buying.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
If we don't watch out, we will soon be paying enormous amounts of money for the worst kind of junk, without any chance to tell, what we are buying.

I'd say we are there. What the hell are half of these things?

hot-cheetos-ingredients.jpg

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score

I don't think that's a great example. Especially if you just want the top half. :p
All that stuff is common in most anything!

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score

They appear to be a collection of chemical compounds and biological products derived from organisms on the planet Earth. :p

MattBaker

Reaction score

The same like everything else: Hydrogen&time...

But you also have to see one thing: The use of antibiotics and chemicals (in the widest sense) is one of the reasons you can go to the supermarket and buy 50 different kinds of meat for a relatively cheap price. So we end up at the normal "Is all the luxury really needed"-debate and everything has another answer for that one. And of course the vegetarian-debate, but if you want to buy cheap meat in the future (Which I want. Surely not daily, but once a week would be nice.) it's most likely not produced without antibiotics, chemicals and mass stocks.

The scientist in us could figure out a chemical-use-costs-diagram, but I guess you wouldn't have enough information about the topic, you don't talk about the stuff you feed the animals and how expensive it was.

FADEC

Reaction score
and phenylbutazone which is barred from the human food chain and is harmful to humans. So it's not the horsemeat as such but rather the drugs they've been giving the horses that have ended up on our plates.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/11/horsemeat-bute-very-low-risk

But that's the case for supermarket meat anyway (antibiotics, bacteria, germs etc.). One might think it's better to buy meat from a butcher. But not necessarily. I know people which worked for a butcher, and they even prefer supermaket meat...

When I still worked for the food industries I realized that even some dog food has a higher quality and is treated with much more care than our meat (they don't even bother to interrupt the cold chain, even for fish, for 24+ hours if necessary). My personal consequence was to become vegetarian. I would still eat meat however, for example if I would be invited by a citizen in the Baikal region, which slaughters his own animals and processes the meat. But I refuse our industrial meat. These days you have to know a good farmer if you want good meat, and if you want to know where it comes from.

That's why I don't buy such foods anymore. There is a lot of ingredients which actually don't have to be in it. And not everything is listed.

Nothing beats a homemade bean soup, just as one example. No need to buy a can.

---------- Post added 02-12-13 at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-11-13 at 11:56 PM ----------

All that stuff is common in most anything!

In processed foods, yes. But not in case you buy potatoes, vegetables and spices to make your own meal.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Nothing beats a homemade bean soup, just as one example. No need to buy a can.

Bean soup can have repercussions...

N.