News Where are you on the global pay scale?

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Your wage is 110% of the United States average and 242% of the world average.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
And some tritium for some extracurricular activities :thumbup:

There's got to be some flaw with this graph though. I'm middle-middle class, in someplace like NY or LA I'd be scraping by...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And some tritium for some extracurricular activities :thumbup:

There's got to be some flaw with this graph though. I'm middle-middle class, in someplace like NY or LA I'd be scraping by...

Same here, in Munich, my salary would be considered darkest poverty, just 50 km away from my city, I would be considered damn well-earning.

For my Ferengi parents, it is of course not enough what I earn by honest developer work... :lol: ... but well, parents and girlfriends. I work on it. One day, I will have my own rocket engine manufacture.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Sure, still in the junior developer salary range as job starter. :yes: But I don't plan to start the next year with the junior prefix attached.

(17,777th post)
I'm a bit surprised that you're still a junior Urwumpe. I've 'known' you to be coding for at least as long as I've been on these forums (since the m6 days) so quite surprised you're only a junior. Most people I know start as a graduate/junior for 2-3 years only.

Ahem. 192% of UK, 397% of World. That's why I don't have much time to spend on these forums these days :-(

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm a bit surprised that you're still a junior Urwumpe. I've 'known' you to be coding for at least as long as I've been on these forums (since the m6 days) so quite surprised you're only a junior. Most people I know start as a graduate/junior for 2-3 years only.

I graduated :lol: last year. (Can't really say that my life was boring so far.) And while I have seen quite a lot of stuff since I joined the professional IT world in 1999, I am technically a junior developer with self-claimed senior skills.

Initially I was "software developer" without junior, but with a junior salary and job description, but this summer my company had structured the salaries into fixed categories and career paths and in the process, I had received the junior tag since I am at the beginning of the application development career path.

But I don't expect this annoying junior to stay for long on my card... I want to read "Senior developer to Pitr" on the door sign ASAP. :cheers:

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I graduated :lol: last year. (Can't really say that my life was boring so far.) And while I have seen quite a lot of stuff since I joined the professional IT world in 1999, I am technically a junior developer with self-claimed senior skills.

Initially I was "software developer" without junior, but with a junior salary and job description, but this summer my company had structured the salaries into fixed categories and career paths and in the process, I had received the junior tag since I am at the beginning of the application development career path.

But I don't expect this annoying junior to stay for long on my card... I want to read "Senior developer to Pitr" on the door sign ASAP. :cheers:
Fair enough. I didn't realise that you'd only recently graduated. And to be fair, I've seen a fair amount of 'Senior' developers with far less clue of how to structure code and how C/C++/compilers work than you, so hopefully that 'junior' will drop off soon enough.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Fair enough. I didn't realise that you'd only recently graduated. And to be fair, I've seen a fair amount of 'Senior' developers with far less clue of how to structure code and how C/C++/compilers work than you, so hopefully that 'junior' will drop off soon enough.

Sadly it is less about C++, than about Java, Python, ASP.NET and HPC in general. Otherwise, I would have no doubts about my skills. :lol:

Also I have customers to deal with now... :uhh: ... leaving my comfortable lab...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
WHAT? NO INDONESIA IN THE DATABASE!!!??? :rant:

Don't be too angry, they don't have Switzerland either... I'm not sure if it would come in before or after Norway, but somewhere around there.

Anyways, the list can't be trusted too much. They state the average salary for Bosnia and Hercegovina as 1338 $. That sounds pretty high, even if you consider that this is only official wages, and don't forget that 50% of the freakin' country is unemployed, and the rest is either employed by the state, the Mafia or a private company that doesn't really pay what it writes in your contract. If they pay you anything at all. :shifty:
Might just be the dollar gave in some more, though.

flytandem

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.flytandem.com
61 of usa, 135 or world. but notwithstanding a life of few dollars, has allowed not having a real job (I have taught hang gliding since late 70s) and managed to save up what is equal to 11 years wages. Wealth is having few "needs" IMO. Started out by hitchiking from Canada to USA in '79 at age 24 with $80 in my pocket after leaving an engineering career. I was searching for the elusive California hang gliding dream life. I found it. Not even legal to work for my first 10 years in the USA and that was a tough time. I have lived on 50% of wages since 1990 (which allowed the savings to start building in about 1990) I could retire now with current spending rate and survive for at least 22 years with no assist from the gov. But just can't imagine retiring because I love my work too much and have vowed never to grow up.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
I could retire now with current spending rate and survive for at least 22 years with no assist from the gov. But just can't imagine retiring because I love my work too much and have vowed never to grow up.

Beware of inflation. Especially when Chinese decide to dump all their dollar reserves (for now they've decided to dump only 1/3rd of them and slowly).
http://www.shadowstats.com/
http://www.shadowstats.com/article/no-414-hyperinflation-special-report-2012

I myself don't want to work until my 70s. Being an engineer lets you find a job easily, although for the complexity of my tasks I should be getting at least 5 times more.

Last edited:

Ark

Reaction score
Wow, I'm within like 50 bucks of the exact average.