Question Which Buran is better?

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
So there is three Buran addons at Orbit hanger: C[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=755"]VEL-Buran[/ame], [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2181"]BURAN2[/ame], and [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=458"]Buran3.03Beta[/ame]. The question is which is the best. I read on the forums that none are fantastic, and there seems to be a group of Orbinauts out there that have asked for a good Buran to use. I found that I can hook the stock Atlantis up to a Energia and if I squint it almost looks like a proper Buran... from about a km away.:lol: So thats what their competing with, and I would like it if people respond with comparisons between the stock Atlatis and the three Burans, as Atlantis could pretend to be a Buran and fly as one on a Energia. Although I tried Atlantis on a Energia and it works, I would like the thing Energia was built to use. For one thing, the Buran doesn't have to lug around those darn SSMEs...

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
I looked at all of them myself. They stink. Almost makes me want to make my own Buran.:dry:

The Above is henceforth retracted by me and I apologize to all for saying it. I feel very guilty for saying the above and I will sincerely think harder about what I write before I post.

Last edited:

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
It was asinine of me to say that. The people that made those Burans had to work at making them, and since I haven't done a damn thing I should hold my tongue.

Three cheers to those who contribute to Orbiter!
:cheers:

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
It is pretty rude to say that an addon sucks without even understanding how to make one.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
As creator of one of them, I am truly sorry, for not making an addon to your liking and promise a full refund, ... oh wait.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
As creator of one of them, I am truly sorry, for not making an addon to your liking and promise a full refund, ... oh wait.
Well, your Buran mesh is starting to show its age compared to the current US shuttle meshes. It could benefit from a modernization.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The Buran program itself could benefit a modernization :p

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
orbitingpluto, a nice option would be to create a simple Buran using one of the meshes and configuring it using spacecraft.dll . You only need notepad for that and you can use Atlantis as reference :).

One thing that I'd like to see on a Buran would be a nice VC. There are detailed images of the instrument panels. It's something I wouldn't mind doing as part of a larger effort.

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Since OP is obviously sorry, I think there's no need for further bashing from me. Anyway, getting the thread back on track...
As a question of "Which is better," I think the only real advantage of any one Buran is the CVEL support on CVEL Buran, and that doesn't amount to a whole lot of difference. None had working RMS. That was some time ago, so maybe I'm forgetting something...
What aerodynamic models do they use? I think that's one major difference that might change the answer.

Also, where is there detailed information on the cockpit? I searched before and came up kind of empty. I don't know Russian, so yeah.
Either way, Buran 1.0 never got fitted for manned flight (although it was close), and most of the the photos I found were low res shots of the stripped down OK-TVA. Ayayayaya...

Last edited:

andrew

Reaction score
http://www.buran.ru/
3d-bur05.jpg

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Last edited:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
4throck said:
No Russian needed (I know 0 Russian) but Google is your friend... just search for Buran cockpit for example.
:facepalm: Wow. I could've swore I did that. I guess I didn't account for the fact that the Internet is a series of tubes. Thanks for the prod of "look again, doofus!" :p

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
Donamy has every right to be mad, and so does every person who has contributed a addon and feels that this forum should be a place where a work should be given its due and not bashed without a detailed and thoughtful analysis that at least tries, if a addon really had shortcomings, to offer constructive criticism. I did not offer my best, and stooped to a low level; giving only a two word and very uninformative assessment that lumped all the Burans together and told next to nothing about the individual merits/faults of each. I even used a sense organ that couldn't possibly have been used for testing the Burans, as software has no smell! I didn't even comply with what I asked in the starting post; that all judgments on which is the better Buran include a comparison to the stock Atlantis. These failings are wholly mine, and worse still I type a long and perhaps incredibly boring wall of text that doesn't even come close to making up for my shortcomings. Though I will eat my words and say I am going about learning how to make my own Buran. I do believe that the Burans we currently have on OrbitHanger are lacking compared to the stock Atlantis, and since there is no body else doing anything either I can man up and fill the need or whine like a damn teenager. I feel like its time I man up.

I want to close by saying that I do not think that this round of bashing was undeserved, or that I should be forgiven. I really would like to thank those members how stepped out and called me on what I said. If they didn't I wouldn't have decided to try my hand at this. As to whether or not anything worthy comes of it,:shrug: It will have to be seen.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I look forward to trying your addon. :tiphat: