One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
new fonts...

Yo folks,

In an effort to get the general dev stuff back into this thread and away from the BETA thread, which should just be dealing with beta stuff, I have a new question for ya'll.

I've started to play around with some new fonts around the base and would like some feedback please.

These new ones are more 'scifi' than the alpha ones, but I'm not sure if they are too scifi for signs. Face made the good point that logos and such signs can be stylish, but perhaps the hangar signage should be functional (or maybe in Chinese ;)). I'm undecided.

So here's a few shots, please lend me your thoughts.

au45.png

au46.png

au47.png

Thanks.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
For me the information signs are enough readable with that TNG looking like font.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Maybe just a bit more contrast in the colors, but I like the font.

Indeed - font fits very nice to overall look of the base. It need a bit more contrast IMO

boyan3001

Reaction score
...Face made the good point that logos and such signs can be stylish, but perhaps the hangar signage should be functional...
Face indeed have a good point. I'am pretty sure no one will ever experiment with stylish sings, markers, road sings, attention stickers or similar stuff like we see often in Sci-Fi movies. It is just not practical.
Take 2001: Odissey for example. That movie look astonishing realistic, even for today points of view. And that's just because Stanley insisted for details that are not fancy Sci-fi ones, but rather something practial.
Honestly, I'll rather see such realistic aproach.
Still logos should be stylish.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Face indeed have a good point. I'am pretty sure no one will ever experiment with stylish sings, markers, road sings, attention stickers or similar stuff like we see often in Sci-Fi movies. It is just not practical.
Take 2001: Odissey for example. That movie look astonishing realistic, even for today points of view. And that's just because Stanley insisted for details that are not fancy Sci-fi ones, but rather something practial.
Honestly, I'll rather see such realistic aproach.
Still logos should be stylish.
Thanks for the other side of the coin there boyan. I'm still undecided. I know I'm not going to start using a fancy font on the taxiway/runway signage for example, but am still tempted for some others... It all comes down to a balance between sci-fi and sci-real. The XR/DG type vessels are clearly sci-fi, yet maintain enough sci-real to be somewhat feasible, and I want AU to reflect that also. The hangar signs may be a little too sci-fi, but have also been well received by some, so we shall see.

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For my 2p's worth
I concur with the need for high contrast.

I also think the font should be just that bit out of the ordinary as it would reflect a corporate feel to the place. While some may have a "down" on big business, somebodies got to come up with the billions to pay for this place and they would want to put their stamp (font) on the place

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yo folks,

In an effort to get the general dev stuff back into this thread and away from the BETA thread, which should just be dealing with beta stuff, I have a new question for ya'll.

I've started to play around with some new fonts around the base and would like some feedback please.

These new ones are more 'scifi' than the alpha ones, but I'm not sure if they are too scifi for signs. Face made the good point that logos and such signs can be stylish, but perhaps the hangar signage should be functional (or maybe in Chinese ;)). I'm undecided.

So here's a few shots, please lend me your thoughts.

au45.png

au46.png

au47.png

Thanks.

Its good, but it doesnt look real enough. I find the new wideawake a bit too fanciful for my liking, but Im sure that wont ruin it. It just needs a bit more tweaking to look right. Maybe a bit darker & a bit more contrast on those textures?

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
I do like the fonts.

One nitpick though...the letter "G" looks a lot like "C". Reference the 2nd screenshot.

Just my $0.02 worth.

:cheers:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Another vote for liking the signage, and another vote for more contrast on the hangar sign. Keep up the great work!

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Its good, but it doesnt look real enough. I find the new wideawake a bit too fanciful for my liking, but Im sure that wont ruin it. It just needs a bit more tweaking to look right. Maybe a bit darker & a bit more contrast on those textures?
Yeah I am aware that AU will not be stylistically to everyone's liking, but that is only half the project. The other half is the code base. Most of my work is cosmetic, so my taste obviously, but the code base will enable others to use all the base's functionality with their own meshes. I was always aware that my artistic style, whilst tempered by feedback, would not appeal to all Orbiter users.
But thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated. And the contrast issue has been noted, I'm gonna work on that.

I do like the fonts.
One nitpick though...the letter "G" looks a lot like "C". Reference the 2nd screenshot.
Just my $0.02 worth.
:cheers:
Hadn't really thought on that, but think you are perhaps right, I can always post-edit the Gs to increase their crossbar a touch. Thanks.

For my 2p's worth
I concur with the need for high contrast.
I also think the font should be just that bit out of the ordinary as it would reflect a corporate feel to the place. While some may have a "down" on big business, somebodies got to come up with the billions to pay for this place and they would want to put their stamp (font) on the place
That's spot on. Fictionally of course, AIA is a private enterprise, funded by the lease/use of its facilities by whoever wants to use them, private or otherwise (though no military use is permitted). Plus, since it's sci-fi, we can include a little extra 'cool' in there ;)

Cheers again chaps.

I00I

Not from this world
Reaction score
Looks great a bit more tweaking but on the right path..:idea: