Project Wideawake International: Ascension Ultra

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Currently there are issues with AU and the _ng client, but nothing Face can't solve apparently. But making it _ng compatible it's not a priority atm. But Face can give you a better perspective on that stuff.

IIRC, the shadow problem in D3D9 comes from orbiter_ng.exe not respecting UNDERSHADOW flags. IMHO, the orbiter_ng clients (together with orbiter_ng) should work towards displaying addons like in the inline client. Making addons work for a specific OVP client that is still in development is a somehow reversed approach to that.

There are several problems with AU in OVP clients ATM, the shadows being the least of it. One major bummer is transparency. It just doesn't work in D3D9 or D3D11, giving the base a completely crippled look in OVP. Another one is texture troubles, causing certain texture resolutions to be displayed in freaky colours on my rig.

Of course those issues should be addressed, just not in the AU project, but in the OVP project(s). Therefore my priority as AU coder is on features and not OVP compatibility.

regards,
Face

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
IMHO lights are looking too light :lol: I would like normal, not yellow windows, but anyway they look great! ;) Great job :thumbup:
Yeah, the lights and textures are something I'm continually working on, getting the materials balanced for good day and night visuals is tricky. And some textures are still place holder atm. Window colour also. atm I like the colour contrast with the blue, but am not totally happy with it, so am planning to try some different options until I settle for the final one.

Cheers for your thoughts.

theshhh

2 year orbiter player
Reaction score
YouTube - Taxibot

If it was clamped to the main gear, the animation would be easier.

Funny, when i first got fsx i thought that this was supposed to always be in the game! :lol: didnt know i had to taxi on my own! :facepalm:
Just wondering, WHAP, when do you think the release date is?

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Yo gentlemen,

Release date is always a Tuesday, you should all know that by now.

Seriously though, the first beta release date is kinda up to Face atm, as most of the road mapped meshwork and texturing targets have been met, so it's just down to the code really. We had talked about doing something at the end of June, whatever we have goes out kinda thing. So hopefully only a week or so and a bit before something is up for testing.

TBH, what we have atm is perfectly playable, just a bit feature-lite. So it's worth waiting for.

Oh, luki1997a,
The lights/windows were the first draft really, I had planned to experiment a bit with them... and I have done. The current build has almost completely transparent windows, with just a hint of blue in them. And indoor lighting has been softened a bit... and I've replaced the grass texture... and other bits and bobs too... :)

---------- Post added at 13:40 ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 ----------

Had a chat with Face and the 0.1 beta release target is the first week of July, so not long to go now!

au25.jpg

au26.jpg

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a silly question, but why does everyone release things on Tuesdays??? Is there something special about that day that Im not aware of?

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a silly question, but why does everyone release things on Tuesdays??? Is there something special about that day that Im not aware of?
There's a lot special about Tuesday that you're not aware of :p

The best answer is, "Why not Tuesday?"

It's a long running joke in the community, when someone asks when something will be released the answer is Tuesday. No specification on which Tuesday it will be.

Oh, and WHAP, glad to see this project alive and kicking. Between the updated Wideawake and CSSC, I've got tons on new and exciting places to waste my time with.

PeriapsisPrograde

Wannabe addon dev
Reaction score

When the DGIV was released, dansteph said that it would be released on Tuesday. The next Tuesday came and went with no release however, since he didn't specify which Tuesday. It's an inside joke now that, if you don't know when you will finish, you will finish on Tuesday.

:ninja:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hey WHAP, I saw you kept the old billboards from the other WIN. Is the AstraSpace banner still there? :p

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
When the DGIV was released, dansteph said that it would be released on Tuesday. The next Tuesday came and went with no release however, since he didn't specify which Tuesday. It's an inside joke now that, if you don't know when you will finish, you will finish on Tuesday.

:ninja:

Only part of the story. It also refers to the beginning of Star Trek: Generations. The new Excelsior-class Enterprise B is out for its maiden training run when it gets called into action. Problems arise however, due to the fact that several key pieces of equipment are not on board, but are scheduled to be installed...on Tuesday...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HG_Hx-0ulQ"]Tuesday? - YouTube[/ame]

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I always thought the "Tuesday" referred to the tradition of releasing albums and movies on Tuesday.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Hey WHAP, I saw you kept the old billboards from the other WIN. Is the AstraSpace banner still there? :p
I ran another thread a year or so ago regarding reuse of the old sponsors. So there are some old and some new now. And yes, yours is in there.

This pic is not the best, but Astra Space is the one next on from the DigTech on the right side of the shot. It's repeated around the base.
au22.jpg

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
The base is looking great! Can't wait to test it out on Tuesday :p

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Only part of the story. It also refers to the beginning of Star Trek: Generations. The new Excelsior-class Enterprise B is out for its maiden training run when it gets called into action. Problems arise however, due to the fact that several key pieces of equipment are not on board, but are scheduled to be installed...on Tuesday...

Tuesday? - YouTube

Hmm, well whenever I finally get around to finishing my Shuttle-D, I'll release it on a Monday... without engines! :lol:. Then Ill release the real one on Tuesday maybe

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yay I see my logo. Thanks WHaP...