Project WIN Ascension Ultra BETA test thread

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
WHAP, you could probably drop me from the list of beta testers. As much as I love being privy to new software, I haven't had the time recently between work and my own projects. Sorry. :(
Don't apologise dude, life is life, I know that right now, hence why there's no ore for you to test anyway.
I'll keep you on the list and if you can test, you can test. If not then no worries. Your being in isn't keeping others out or anything like that, so it's not a seat wasted so to speak.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
A little update on proceedings. I know, I know, a day late! ;) pretend it's Tuesday.

Beta 0.3 is now released and I've sent the download link to the current testers.

I've also sent it to a handful of new testers to expand the team, so if you've asked for access, check your PM inbox!

Not a huge amount new this release, no new meshes or texture work. But face has implemented beacon groupings, so the animation process for beacons has begun. Check out the Vertical Launch animations now.

As ever, thanks to all the testers, apologies for delays, and please post all feedback in this thread.

WHAP

TerraMimic

Reaction score
Figures. I finally get in on the beta AFTER my computer blows up. At least now I have some motivation to rebuild my orbiter install. (I was just planning to wait until I could rebuild my computer before just continuing with the old one.)

Just to check, are there any required addons that need to be installed before AU? OrbiterSound? UMMU? UCGO?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Figures. I finally get in on the beta AFTER my computer blows up. At least now I have some motivation to rebuild my orbiter install. (I was just planning to wait until I could rebuild my computer before just continuing with the old one.)

Just to check, are there any required addons that need to be installed before AU? OrbiterSound? UMMU? UCGO?

UMMU is supported ATM, but not needed. All three should be support in the end, though.

isantop

Reaction score
Looking great so far!

One note: on my computer, I need to use the d3d9 client to get decent framerates. Within the client, the taxiway/runway markings flash, and the windows aren't transparent. If I switch to the normal client, everything looks good...but my framerates are awful... :facepalm:

That's the only thing so far! Excellent work!

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
it's not dead, jim.

Thanks for the feedback isantop, sorry for my lack of reply... RL has been a distraction.

AU Beta isn't currently compatible with any of the _ng clients. This is something face will address in the future, after the meat of the project is on the bones of the design.

A little update.

I started work on the dockyard today. This should be done for the next release, along with some other new stuff.

Here's a little overview of the Dockyard. More pics and info on my blog.
au35.png

Cheers for the patience gents, I will get there! ;)
WHAP

EDIT: Thanks to Loru for letting me include his dock crane mesh, saved me a job!

Last edited:

Marvin42

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Will the two cranes actually move or will be static? In the picture are the shadows of the cranes are drawn only in the water (or maybe also underneath the hole pier) or is just an effect from the angle the picture was taken?

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Will the two cranes actually move or will be static? In the picture are the shadows of the cranes are drawn only in the water (or maybe also underneath the hole pier) or is just an effect from the angle the picture was taken?
At the moment the dockyard will be static, in so much as it won't be functional. However I do plan to have the monorails animated. There is always the chance it could become functional at some point, but that really depends on how far face can be bothered to push the cargo management stuff.

Shadows are only cast on planets or meshes loaded in the base's base.cfg file. Since AU is loaded as a vessel for the most part, things like the dock can't take a shadow. In theory it could be loaded as part of the base.cfg, but that limits future ability to interact with it for things like animations and LoD.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Shadows are only cast on planets or meshes loaded in the base's base.cfg file. Since AU is loaded as a vessel for the most part, things like the dock can't take a shadow. In theory it could be loaded as part of the base.cfg, but that limits future ability to interact with it for things like animations and LoD.

Animated (vessel) crane casting shadow :p
sts3.jpg

You can always split "foundation" meshes from base vessel into one static defined in base.cfg file. Then shadows will be cast on those "ground elements".

In this picture you can see building casting shadow on ground - rear door and on it's floor defined as separated mesh.

g-ops.jpg

Last edited:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A solution is to use asmi's D3D11 Client ... But As I read, the new Wideawake is not (yet) fully NG compatible ...

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
A solution is to use asmi's D3D11 Client ... But As I read, the new Wideawake is not (yet) fully NG compatible ...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this is reversed... NG is not (yet) fully Orbiter inline compatible.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
You can always split "foundation" meshes from base vessel into one static defined in base.cfg file. Then shadows will be cast on those "ground elements".
Yeah I have considered that option, and it's what we have done with the taxiways, roads and hangar floors, for exactly that shadow-casting purpose. So in theory I could split the docks into a baes.cfg mesh and the animated/shadow-casting parts as a vessel. The reason I avoided this so far is that the textures look much rougher in a base.cfg load. That said, it's less of a concern with the lower detailed things like the docks, as opposed to the hangars, so I may do this for the docks.

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
There is a possible bug when switching control between the base and the vessel, It will CTD. I will try to replicate later tonight.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
There is a possible bug when switching control between the base and the vessel, It will CTD. I will try to replicate later tonight.
If you can replicate it, then please do share what you find, including other addons installed and etc... It's not a bug that has come up so far, so be good to know if you've found something new.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
No update today unfortunately. I'm ill with flu and face isn't running at full steam either. So we've decided to delay the next release until we have something significant and substantial to test.

Cheers to testers for continued patience.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Don't worry about it. Quality is more important than quantity :)

Hope you get well soon and that Face loads his coal furnaces and gets his steam turbines powered :)

Last edited:

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
If you can replicate it, then please do share what you find, including other addons installed and etc... It's not a bug that has come up so far, so be good to know if you've found something new.

Looks like it is time for a clean install