World of 2001

Chupacabra

Reaction score
Haha, I think we inflated your ego a bit!:cheers:
Well your work is pretty nice, my only complaint is that it doesn't show a astronaut on the car. But it shows what can be done by a little imagination and a little work. This is your first project right woo482?

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
yes I got some help from gattispilot and me and some one else are working on a ummu compatable astrovan
EDIT1: I might make my rover in to the first custom XR2 payload when it comes out

Linguofreak

Reaction score
yes I got some help from gattispilot and me and some one else are working on a ummu compatable astrovan
EDIT1: I might make my rover in to the first custom XR2 payload when it comes out

Why not make it an XR5 payload, if this hasn't already been done?

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I dont know how to do that do you know how ? if you do Know how Pm me so we can talk

andymcdonald

Reaction score
Hey im new, just one little question

Hey i know that this may not be the correct forum to this but u seemed to know a lot of Orbiter, so i have a question wich ships can perform an EVA i mean i only can do an EVA with the DGIV and the Atlantis!!! but i would like to do it with a DG-S because it has a 3D COCKPIT wich the DGIV doesnt have, so thanks for your help.

andy

PD: this is the best simulation game i ever played!:speakcool:

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi sputnik, I don't have any suggestions to make, as I have not fully explored WO2001 quite yet.

However, I must say that only rarely will I make a clean Orbiter installation for a great series of addons, and WO2001 made the cut. Excellent work. :)

Chupacabra

Reaction score
Hey andymcdonald!:welcome:I got your PM but I'll answer here.

Anyway of the default vessels only Atlantis has EVA.
There are a few Add-ons which have it. Notable ones are (XR-series, DGIV, Shuttle Fleet) However there are more.

Please note: There is a project underway to allow UMMU capability for multiple vessels called UMMUFA. However it is currently under Beta and I haven't heard of progress for a while. You can find the thread here.

BTW: I assume you want the UMMU Capability on the DG-S because it has scram engines. You might want to download the XR1 by dbeachy1. It has both the scram and the 3d cockpit, with UMMU support. You can find it at his site here.

On-topic: Sputnik, I remembered that there was an issue with UMMU CTD if there existed a large number of vessels in that scenario. I have yet to verify that though. I'll post back. BTW, when I say large I mean 30 or more vessels. Let me check still.

EDIT: Alright after testing with a clean install+UMMU. I was able to add up to over 75 vessels without a CTD. My test had included mostly of module1 spawned into default LEO with the Scenario_Editor. (I can't begin to say how useful that tool is.) Sorry for the false alarm. The problem probably had to do with an add-on or a ridiculously large number of vessels.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I note in passing that, with the Wo2k1 EVA, you can already grapple things, strap into things (although only the Paracone actually does this), and enter/egress. What we CAN'T do is:
- Transfer from one vessel to another
- Display the mesh once onboard (though this would be easy to add now, to the Moonbus)
- Monitor vitals of the passengers (in which I have about zero interest, but I realize not everyone feels this way).

How hard would it be to get the first two features implemented into the Astro2001 class? The third one might get harder, but it is maybe also the most useless feature unless you want to go storytelling.

Let start brain-storming with adding a Wo2001API.dll, which could offer secure interfaces for all special objects you might need (is IMHO better as a base class, which requires you to recompile Wo2001 completely when the version of the base class changes). The crew handling and EVA could be done by a container class just like UMMU, maybe tailored a bit more specific to Wo2001.

Adding the crew meshes to the spacecraft would be a bit more complex, but still, possible with the container class. You would just have to remember which mesh index is used for which crew member. Swapping, translating and rotating the meshes is possible, but I don't want to predict the performance when you use this system on a (star) base.

Interceptor

Reaction score
A more detailed docking bay in the space stations, and the aries ships could be more easily manually landable. my2cents but love this addon nice job thanks

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This is probably being too picky, but it drives me insane when I get a roaring main engine sound from the OMS of the Orion/Titov. It would be nice if the sounds of the OMS firing could be downplayed (or even left out altogether).

I believe that the Ares is compatible with Lola MFD (the successor to Land MFD by Dennis Hare), but the MFD itself was never fully completed, so I'm a bit cautious about using it. I think perhaps it would be worth considering making the Ares/Gregarin more "Lola-friendly" for those who cannot land manually on the moon to save their life (such as myself).

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
This is probably being too picky, but it drives me insane when I get a roaring main engine sound from the OMS of the Orion/Titov. It would be nice if the sounds of the OMS firing could be downplayed (or even left out altogether).

You're a lot pickier than I am, but...good one! That's an easy fix, and (at least) one less person who's bugged.

Docking arm animations are planned, though that one's going to be a lot of work for not much reward.

I really don't know how to make the Aries any easier. It's a tailsitter, after all. I too recommend LolaMFD; shame it wasn't finished, but it works well enough for me.

SlyCoopersButt

Reaction score
I use always Computerx's latest Thruster Control MFD (See his forum) for tail sitters like that by controlling vertical speed with main engines. It's the only Auto-pilot I've ever used of the kind so I don't know how Lola works but it makes it easy enough to me.

XonE32

Reaction score
Oh no, this threads been dead since July and here I am all jazzed up because as Sputnik will confirm; I've had a borked install of WO2001 probably from the get go 2 years ago. Now it's fixed it's like discovering it all over again from anew (cue the choir music). But like a sad panda I see no one's been yappin' here for months. GET TO WORK... kiddin.

I can't think of anything massive I'd like to see in 3.2, but off the top of my head, I wouldn't mind seeing the cockpit interior lighting (from external view) to be red if possible.
Kubrick was smart, he knew that red interior lights would only make sense while landng in the dark on the moon, just in case of an instrument failure. Haven't watched the movie in a while, but I'm pretty sure it was red in there.

With regard to the rcs "smoke" that some have asked for a reduction in...
DaveS has a pretty good exhaust_atrcs.dds in the Space Shuttle Ultra thread that I'm using right now and I quite like it for the Aries. I haven't had time to look at it on other ships yet. the large amount of "smoke' never bothered me before so it's a moot point for me, but if it bugs you, you might check it out. Give me a cpl minutes to dig up the post, although most of you are probably already aware of it.

Cheers

XonE32

Believe this is it for anyone that wishes to try it.

http://orbiter-forum.com/showpost.php?p=43850&postcount=49

clickypens

Orbinauta
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying that I absolutely love this addon. I play it all the time. StationV is a work of art, it truly is.

One thing I've noticed, however, is that it doesn't work in the beta release. I know it's just a beta and everything, but I'd like to have 2001 in 2009. The meshes don't show up but everything else seems to work (I just can't see any of the vehicles)

Also, could it be possible to have a Titov V like the one shown on this page: http://www.planet3earth.co.uk/ilyushin titov.htm ?

Again, thanks for all your hard work put into this marvelous addon!

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
Clickypens,

Thanks for the tip! I hadn't tried Wo2k1 on 2009 RC1 yet, and it does indeed fail to display. Very odd. Starclipper, which is very similar code, DOES show up. I'm not sure why, but I'll have to find out.

I squinted at that model in the Hilton office on my copy, and I'd concluded it was an SST, not a Titov V. I'm not likely to change now because:

1. My model is already built.
2. This other model is quite ugly, IMHO.
3. This model is far too similar to the Orion III (no rudder, two engines offset high...sheesh. Are we sure it's not an Orion variant?)

So I'm not real big on changing the Titov V to correspond with that model.

clickypens

Orbinauta
Reaction score
Yeah, I totally understand why you wouldn't change it. Plus, it does make a more sense that the Russians would go with something more like what you designed, being Spiral-based and all.

As far as the beta goes, I'd love to help but I really don't know a thing about coding, but I hope you can get it fixed. Cheers!

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
Actually, my previous answer made it sound a bit like laziness. I wouldn't mind re-meshing, but I really don't think I'd like the result. I worked hard to make the Orion and Titov similar but different. The Titov being a lifting-body instead of a wimg-body, and the wraparound tank, I think contribute to the charm. This proposed layout makes the Titov a wing-body again, with no discernable difference from the Orion. The wraparound tank would probably have to go, too....

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I like the Titov like it is... actually all Russian vehicles are stylish.

The only thing I dislike a bit, is that all space stations and moon bases look very nice, while Earth looks a bit dull.

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
The only thing I dislike a bit, is that all space stations and moon bases look very nice, while Earth looks a bit dull.

Well, the new textures for Orbiter 2009 should more than take care of that.

Or are you suggesting a bluer Earth texture, as seen in the movie? I think it'd be a let-down after the Orbiter 2009 textures, but...I think someone has already done this (for Celestia?). So it may be possible to add for not too much work.

Blacklight

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
World of 2001 could use an update. The time is ripe for one ! :)
How about some more missions like "Bowman's Journey", His training for the Jupiter (training flights to the Moon and Mars), and how about a full scenario re-creating the Discovery's flight from Earth to TMA2 in orbit around Jupiter (I've set up a scenario for this but I'll bet you guys would do it a LOT better as I have no clue what the hell I'm doing with scenario editing). I also saw in another thread that the "Discovery II" is being worked on. That would be a cool ship to get permission to include.

How about also setting up the mission that were in the books 2061 (The mission to land on Halley's Comet and then the rescue mission on Europa), and maybe the retrieval of Frank Poole from 3001 (even though it's not cannon).

World of 2001 is my favorite addon ! It's definitely the best put together "mega-mod" for Oriber that I've ever seen ! While it's wonderful, it could also use a little update. :thumbup:

Last edited: