Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Mmm, big scale. I love the huge model Saturn V rocket I saw once too.

That must be considerably expensive to put together (and fix if you crash it).

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
I think that's the same model that I read about in popular science, very cool.

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
It's not thew largest, Ii know about an 1:2 model of the biggest sailing-plane of the world (it has a small motor, too). The model is 15.1 m big.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
i've fealt so many emotions in the 3 minutes i've been looking at this thread, i think i just need to go to bed now.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Looks like a precise reenactment of the B-52 crash on the air show.

Negative dihedral can be really terrible for RC pilots...

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Amazing. The guys are really good, smoothly landing that B29 the way they do it must be quite difficult ! I would be curious about the whole mass of the thing, and how much fuel it carries.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Amazing. The guys are really good, smoothly landing that B29 the way they do it must be quite difficult ! I would be curious about the whole mass of the thing, and how much fuel it carries.

My guess would be the mass of the engines alone is 20 kg. The plane could easily be 50 kg or more...

As for the fuel, it must carry a few liters. Most small engines to about 20 ccm are nitro engines, but this is most definitely petrol. A two stroke usually burns unleaded fuel with lubricant oil mixed in at 1:25 to 1:40. A four stroke doesn't need oil in the fuel...

golden_eye

Reaction score

Not sure about the fuel load but according to the caption the whole thing weighs 210 kg!

Kendo

Reaction score
I remember seeing that B52 in another video a while ago. They said the miniture turbines were made for this model at a cost of £8000 each.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That has to be an exaggeration. Maybe 210 pounds?

Don't be so quick to underestimate the the weight of such a plane...

Keep in mind, each of those engines easily weighs 5 kg. Then throw in all the fuel load and a 1 to 2 kg per engine isn't overestimating it. I know peeps usually put a 1 to 1.5 l tank on a plane with 50 ccm engine.

Even my small DGIV weighs just under 3.5 kg...

Here's another large model. A 70% size 3D plane...

Look at the servo mechanism under those wings. The servos alone must cost a fortune. We're probably talking like 1000 Ncm torque.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Also, the mass/power ratio of that B-29 seems very good just seeing the way it accelerates and takes off ! The 4 props seem to deliver a lot of power.

I'm pretty sure that, provided a flat concrete runway, the model could takeoff with only 2 engines running, though it would be difficult to avoid stalling.

Another thing, do they have any instruments on their radio controllers ? I noticed they were 2 "pilots", maybe 1 for the engines management ? I guess it would be possible to put something like an artificial horizon in such a big plane, and to transmit the data to the controller ?

Here's another large model. A 70% size 3D plane...

At some point, I'm wondering if we should call these things models or drones :hmm:

The biggest ouch in RC plane history...

In the first seconds after takeoff, you can feel that something is wrong with the flight model / roll control. The plane rolls constantly on the Z axis. After the turn, it accelerates to high speeds, where it gets uncontrollable... Well, it's the way I see it. :p

BTW, there is a serious safety concern when you put in the air such big and fast things, could probably have destroyed a small house !

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
In the first seconds after takeoff, you can feel that something is wrong with the flight model / roll control. The plane rolls constantly on the Z axis. After the turn, it accelerates to high speeds, where it gets uncontrollable... Well, it's the way I see it. :p

That is caused by the negative dihedral of the wings, it is pretty instable around Z, since small roll angles cause a roll motion that tends to increase the roll (Positive dihedral works opposite, but makes the plane less agile).

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
AAnother thing, do they have any instruments on their radio controllers ? I noticed they were 2 "pilots", maybe 1 for the engines management ? I guess it would be possible to put something like an artificial horizon in such a big plane, and to transmit the data to the controller ?

It's either a backup radio in case the primary lost control or the amount of channels on the plane (roll, pitch, yaw, throttle, gear, flaps, bomb bay,...) is too much for one radio.

I doubt engine control would be in the hands of the second pilot. When you're flying, the plane becomes an extension of your arms. You feel every turbulence and every bump. Any time the plane's doing something it's not supposed to be doing, you feel that...

Idk, seems pretty stable and under control to me, at least to around 1:20...

BTW, there is a serious safety concern when you put in the air such big and fast things, could probably have destroyed a small house !

I've heard stories from fellow RC pilots of crashing their small planes into buildings (accidentally, of course). Usually they leave a hole in the wall and the plane in bits...