Would anyone enjoy live voice chatting over Discord while flying Orbiter missions?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The IRC channel seems a bit dead, and there's no voice chat. So I've created a lil Discord for Orbiter discussion https://discord.gg/RBmUu9Z

Let me know if I should add any rules or anything.

What is the advantage of this over e.g. TeamSpeak3? We've run a TS3 server for OMP for years now, and it always served its purpose very well, so I'm curious what that new platform brings to the table.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Oh wow, we have a TeamSpeak? I didn't know that! I should probably use this.

Well, depends on what you mean with "we". It is no O-F service, just Ren's server dedicated to OMP.
However, nobody would mind people talking about Orbiter in general there. It was effectively dead since quite some time, anyway :lol: .

ElonSatoshi

Reaction score
What is the advantage of this over e.g. TeamSpeak3? We've run a TS3 server for OMP for years now, and it always served its purpose very well, so I'm curious what that new platform brings to the table.

I haven't used Teamspeak, but Discord is sorta like IRC, it has a nice, simple interface, and it doesn't need to be downloaded necessarily, you can just run it in the browser. I've already got a few people on my server, how many people are on Teamspeak?

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The User Interface, although not really that important, is a lot more visually appealing as well. But in terms of function, there's little difference.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I haven't used Teamspeak, but Discord is sorta like IRC, it has a nice, simple interface, and it doesn't need to be downloaded necessarily, you can just run it in the browser.

Teamspeak is a voice chatting platform, IRC is a text-based chat system.

I've already got a few people on my server, how many people are on Teamspeak?

On your server? You mean like on your physical machine that hosts the software, or more like a cloud service that calls itself server?

I'm trying to understand what's the difference between Discord and Teamspeak. I'm certainly not interested in a pissing contest.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Discord is aimed at gaming. It has a chat (either user to user or group chats hosted by servers) and an opt-in voice chat that IMHO has a very good quality/bandwidth ratio.

However it doesn't have more advanced features like 3D sound positioning or plugins. It's the simple and easy solution for the more casual players.

AFAIK you can create "servers" which are hosted by Discord directly, without having to setup anything on your own.

drgullen

Reaction score
The other big advantage to Discord is that it's free and you can create an unlimited number of rooms. So, we could potentially have one official Orbiter Discord server for everything and then OMP could have its own sub-section within the main Discord server, for example.

I'm also into Flight Simulation and have been involved with virtual airlines and have used Discord. I would recommend it over TeamSpeak.

Cheers,
Glen

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
AFAIK you can create "servers" which are hosted by Discord directly, without having to setup anything on your own.

So it is a web service, not a physical server. I guess it is a centralized thing where everything goes to Discord first.

The other big advantage to Discord is that it's free and you can create an unlimited number of rooms. So, we could potentially have one official Orbiter Discord server for everything and then OMP could have its own sub-section within the main Discord server, for example.

For the scope of OMP, TS3 is also free. I'm a bit sceptical about webservices that offer themselves as completely free. If you are not paying, you are the product. A quick look into their terms of services actually confirms that (emphasis mine):
https://discordapp.com/terms said:
Any data, text, graphics, photographs and their selection and arrangement, and any other materials uploaded to the Service by you is “Your Data.” You represent and warrant that Your Data is original to you and that you exclusively own the rights to such content, including the right to grant all of the rights and licenses in these Terms without the Company incurring any third party obligations or liability arising out of its exercise of such rights and licenses. All of Your Data is your sole responsibility and the Company is not responsible for any material that you upload, post, or otherwise make available. By uploading, distributing, transmitting or otherwise using Your Data with the Services, you grant to us a nonexclusive, transferable, royalty-free, sublicensable, and worldwide license to use Your Data, subject to the Company’s Privacy Policy. The Company does not guarantee the accuracy, quality, or integrity of any user content posted. By using the Service you acknowledge and accept that you may be exposed to material you find offensive or objectionable. You agree that the Company will not under any circumstances be liable for any user content, including, but not limited to, errors in any user content, or any loss or damage incurred by use of user content. The Company reserves the right to remove and permanently delete Your Data from the Service with or without notice for any reason or no reason. You may notify the Company of any user content that you believe violates these Terms, or other inappropriate user behavior, by emailing [email protected].

Not acceptable IMHO.

But of course for casual discussion about Orbiter it might be the right platform, given that it provides easy access.