Poll Would you play Orbiter Racing League Multiplayer If someone was hosting it?

Would you play Orbiter Racing League Multiplayer If someone was hosting it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Only if I can take part with my own constructions. :cool:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Not sure how that would work . But Im not saying no either

If you could see what I mean with "own constructions", you would say "NO NO NEVER!". :rofl:

deltawing777

Reaction score
Website
omp.dyndns-server.com
lol yeah I was thinking it though. :p But yeah I mean It dont have to be "Racing" just go in and mess around and fly around. Practice your skills Etc..

I am kind of hesitant calling it "ORL" because I dont want people to think its just about racing. You can do whatever as long as you realize there is not time accel.

Last edited:

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
Now, a racing multilplayer is a rather interesting concept!

Racing would eliminate the good ol' time acceleration paradox, as you say, and it wouldn't just be a Red Bull Racing rehash. For instance, you could do ballistic trajectory racing on the moon, seeing how quick people could get to the right base and land - with no autopilots!

Without going into all the "why-we-don't-do-multiplayer-in-Orbiter" megathread stuff, I'd love to see this work.

deltawing777

Reaction score
Website
omp.dyndns-server.com
Im in the process of setting it up. I think I will try to run it out of a virtual machine. Im experimenting with stuff. I got a dyndns account. I have Kriss's code on a simple webpage to see who is online in game.I have verified it is working on my lan. Now just need to make sure it can be reached outside my lan and copy and paste everything to my other computer. Not sure what kind of upload bandwidth it will need but im on a cable connection. I think it will be ok. Depending on the load maybe a simple voip server but we can do that later. I may ask you guys to test it tonight. We will see

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
lol yeah I was thinking it though. :p But yeah I mean It dont have to be "Racing" just go in and mess around and fly around. Practice your skills Etc..

Well, I just wonder how many other people can lift-off from the SLF, pass LC-39, make a sharp turn around the VAB and land at Patricks AFB intact in less than a minute... ;)

deltawing777

Reaction score
Website
omp.dyndns-server.com

Racing would eliminate the good ol' time acceleration paradox, as you say, and it wouldn't just be a Red Bull Racing rehash. For instance, you could do ballistic trajectory racing on the moon, seeing how quick people could get to the right base and land - with no autopilots!

Without going into all the "why-we-don't-do-multiplayer-in-Orbiter" megathread stuff, I'd love to see this work.
This will be a wideawake airport (see orbiter hanger) earth racing/flyarround thing. Using deltaglider xr1 and xr2. There are ways of changing the scenerio and ships. But lets take it slow. It is a learn-as-you-go thing for me also.Main thing is to have fun :). As far as the moon is concerned without time accell you can only get there in realtime. There maybe jump commands or other ways. I has been so long I have to relearn all of this again

deltawing777

Reaction score
Website
omp.dyndns-server.com
To be perfectly honest I haven't tryed. But even if I did, Probrably not. Im not that good a flyer. But thats ok watching you and others I will learn a thing or two im sure. Right now my main concern is getting it running and stable for everybody. Can't do anything from here,has to wait untill I get home

At home now pulling out computer and getting ready for virtual machine

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

I am getting closer. Going to redo OS on server.

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think I would give this a go if it weren't too much of a PITA to get running. I don't think I'd be a regular though. :shrug:

Linguofreak

Reaction score

The biggest issue might be preventing cheating. Enforcing a "no autopilot" rule might be difficult.

I could also see "Slingshot races" in a custom system with a small, dense, planet with a system of small, dense moons. (Think a "planet" several miles across with a surface gravity around 1 g, and several moons orbiting it with periods of several minutes to an hour or two).

deltawing777

Reaction score
Website
omp.dyndns-server.com
UPDATE: Was home sick today sorry about the wait. Uploaded files to mediafire...almost ready (148mb) These will extract to a clean orbiter 2006 install..Will post link shortly

---------- Post added 12-15-10 at 02:01 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-14-10 at 07:03 PM ----------

Orbiter multiplayer is up. Make sure to read the READ ME.txt file
Server: omp.dyndns-server.com
Get omp/orl from here: [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5013"]Orbiter Multiplayer[/ame]
In either case read the README.TXT file for further instructions

To see who's online go here to a simple webpage I made (you can set browser for auto-refresh for latest "Who's Online" updates)
http://omp.dyndns-server.com/

THanks face for the help testing :)

Last edited:

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
I would, if the hoster allows me to make missions for my simulation group in that server, or explains me how to make a working server and if this is improved for 2010 or 2010P1