Status
Not open for further replies.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I'd like to see an interlock or some kind of arming switch, so it's possible but just hitting the button to disengage won't work.
A guarded switch like on the NASSP panels? There you can undock the CSM if the hatch is open but you need to unguard the switch first - makes you think twice ;)

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
well the idea was that in real life you'd have to press both switches to undock, the button being duplicated on either side... of course in the VC its impossible to click in two places at once so you'd have to assume that kara or Lee is pressing the other undock button at the same time that you are from your station... still, it would be even safer if you had to arm each switch before undocking, other features that will open the ship to vacuum have safeties so its probably worth adding.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I'm all for a undock-arming switch, or any other system that keeps you from undocking with an open airlock...happened to me once: was undocking from ISS, I had already checked that retro doors and radiator were open, and I press the big red button.

PSHHHHH was the only thing I heard, followed by a nice, big, red text spelling "You and your crew are DEAD!!!!"...

EDIT: in case I did forget...thank you very much to Doug and Coolhand and anyone who contributed to this and the other XR series vessels!

EJ316

Reaction score
A guarded switch like on the NASSP panels? There you can undock the CSM if the hatch is open but you need to unguard the switch first - makes you think twice ;)

I think this sounds good. I love the feature in NASSP so it would be nice to see it here.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Or to make it more funny, stick a piece of paper with "NO!" beside the undock button :lol:.

Kemo

Reaction score
Will the Ravenstar have a glowing heatshield? It would make the flight look even more interesting. :p

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
The Ravenstar already has a seperate heatshield mesh that glows when hot...

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
some further mods to the ship for mk2, fixing some things that have been bugging me for a while... they're in a pretty rough state at this point but you can make out the new shapes. The wing has now a curved shape - similar to the shuttle or concorde, it's lost the old dogtooth, fence and anhedral outer section so the elevon can run to the end of the wing. The cockpit also has a re-design with a lower, sleeker profile, revised glazing pattern and the whole blister blends into the fuselage in a smoother way.

Attachments

• MkII_09.jpg
    MkII_09.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 182

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I really like the changes.
It looks like there went more high tech and high science in it than before. It really adds to the realism of the look.

dutchpirate

XR Fleet Skin Designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is is just me or is it looking suspiciously like the F19 Stealth Fighter (Microprose). OMG, I'm referencing a DOS game, someone find my walker!

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Wow, that looks real good! Do you think you could add a GAU-8 Avenger onto it? :p

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm sorry about the loss of the anhedral of the wing. I thought it looked cool and from what I've read about the x-planes, that should have helped at hypersonic speeds. I like the more blended cockpit. You keep raising your own bar.

I'll pretend I didn't understand the F-19 reference.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
I'm sorry about the loss of the anhedral of the wing. I thought it looked cool and from what I've read about the x-planes, that should have helped at hypersonic speeds. I like the more blended cockpit. You keep raising your own bar.

I'll pretend I didn't understand the F-19 reference.

That was the idea with the wings, like how the valkyrie progressively drooped its wings as it gained speed, one of the many really cool things about that ship... in the end though i wanted to show more elevon area and the crank in the wing - particularly where it was, made that difficult. Perhaps i'll have a think about putting that feature back in somehow... perhaps even a hinging wing is possible.

Willy, the avenger would make a handy retro engine, just don't use it to undock.;)

dutchpirate, before my time of playing sims sorry mate, it's not a design i'm familiar with but it no shares some of the same inspiration.

Ts, thanks bud, thats exactly what the changes are intended to do.

Attachments

• MkII_12.jpg
    MkII_12.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 142

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Hey i have a question is there a document having the limitations of the XR2, eg: 5 dynamic pressure limit to open gear.

Technical specifications for all three XR vessels are detailed in Appendix B: Technical Data on pages 72-24 of the XR Flight Operations Manual. Dynamic pressure and temperature limits are also listed in-sim on the 1600- and 1920-pixel-wide lower 2D panel.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I just crashed a low flying XR-2 again, no time left to open the Nose Cone, crew is lost, I think it would be nice if an EVA through the upper cabin hatch is possible in the next version, as this opens much faster.

wolfast

Fear is the Mind Killer
Reaction score
I just crashed a low flying XR-2 again, no time left to open the Nose Cone, crew is lost, I think it would be nice if an EVA through the upper cabin hatch is possible in the next version, as this opens much faster.

agreed!!!:) this way you can EVA the crew in the atmosphere if you have a major problem with the craft.

pattersoncr

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score

agreed!!!:) this way you can EVA the crew in the atmosphere if you have a major problem with the craft.

Seconded :hesaid:

Please see my earlier post on the subject (way back on page 27):
http://orbiter-forum.com/showpost.php?p=33021&postcount=535

Sorry if I come off sounding a bit caustic. I'm just tired of seeing this dead horse beaten yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.