XR2 replacing DGIV (poll)

What do you think about the rplacement of DGIV by XR2?

• Total voters

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Same setup as PhantomCruiser.

In fact, I posted a screenshot of my just landed DGIV being attached to a TX for a flight back to Ascension.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I don't like the XR2 very much, I pefer the DGIV because it seems more...plausible.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I don't see the DGIV going anywhere any tiime soon. I voted that both are important, but I'll add a few specifics toward my complete opinion.

I love the XR2 for LEO/ISS ops. But, as has been said before, the DGIV is a workhorse, and it's my ship of choice for lunar trips and long haul flights. I'm taking one with me to the Jovian system on my current mission.

I must admit though that I am a bit biased toward the DGIV, since I was part of the beta test team. I've learned a lot from it, and its a great craft.

The XR series are also magnificent craft and are useful for a lot of missions (payload transfer with the XR2, station building with the XR5, etc.).

I use them equally, although I do hope a solution can be found to allow the DGIV to be used in the D3D9 client. I'd hate to have to switch back and forth to the inline client just to fly a DGIV mission.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I use the XR2 for LEO or moon flights and the DG IV for interplanetary flights (coupled with the arrow). Why?Because I don't like dragging a couple of SCRAM engines to Mars/Jupiter/Saturn etc. But this may change when the XR2 MK II and the G42-200 comes out.

well then, i have in plans to add a "magic mode" for G42 fuel supplies... so with a tick of a checkbox or something, it can go from realistic to educational just like that...

i even though of a number of options;

"realistic mode" (default) - flies like depicted in WIP-1 and 2, tops out just over LEO
"unobtainium mode" - more like the XR-1, can make TLI, LOI, deploy a lander and go home if flown properly
"magic mode" - like the DG, makes space your personal playground :lol:

but that's a low-priority assignment, since for ships that run on "startrekkium" the XR2mkII looks mighty promising :cheers:

krashkart

Heliosynchronous Debris Field
Reaction score
I think that as long as there are Orbiter newbies there will always be a place for the Deltagliders. I didn't learn how to fly within the limits of the simulator by crashing Soyuz capsules; I learned by crashing the ever-forgiving DG and DGIV. The nice thing about the stock DG, as I remember, is that once it had hit the ground* I could open the scenario editor, add fuel and take off for another try. :lol:

*my first few approaches to ISS were "hit-or-miss", so to speak. :embarrassed:

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
I love the XR2, shes fun to fly, just not when you get a horrible lag. Thanks old computer. I have an attachment to the DG-IV, she was what i learned to fly in. Both are just as fun to fly, but I see the DG-IV as a more plausible platform and easier to use and like PhantomCruiser said, I see it as a workhorse.

marcheenek

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
You can't replace apples with oranges :)

I have tried to convince myself to XR2 since it was so jazzy and praised by everyone, but I just couldn't. I was annoyed by the APU deal - first I shut it down due to annoying prompt, then in the crucial moment I cannot perform orbital maneuver, because some damn doors are closed - because of course - APU is off.
Then, I couldn't really work out the scram engines, so finally I ended up back in my DGIV plushy seat, with everything I need handy and continued to have fun.

After reading the topic "Getting to know Ravenstar" I feel like giving the ship another chance though.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
BTW to disable the APU feature just set APUFuelBurnRate=0 in your Config\XR2RavenstarPrefs.cfg file:

Code:
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# APU Fuel Burn Rate : this is the rate at which APU fuel is burned in kg/sec.
# The Auxiliary Power Unit (APU) provides hydraulic power to the ship.
#   0 = unlimited : (runs indefinitely)
#   1 = very low  : 0.90718474 kg/minute (2 lb/minute)    (3.7 hours runtime)
#   2 = low       : 1.81436948 kg/minute (4 lb/minute)    (110 minutes runtime)
#   3 = moderate  : 2.72155422 kg/minute (6 lb/minute)    (74 minutes runtime)
#   4 = realistic : 4.08233134 kg/minute (9 lb/minute)    (49 minutes runtime)
#   5 = expert    : 6.12349701 kg/minute (13.5 lb/minute) (33 minutes runtime)
#
# The default value is 2 (low: 110 minutes runtime).
#
# NOTE: You can override this global setting for a given scenario by setting a value for it in your scenario file; 
#       Refer to the scenario file named "Configuration File Override Example 2.scn" for an example.
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
[COLOR="Red"]APUFuelBurnRate=0[/COLOR]

Then you can turn it on and just leave it on. If the runtime sound effect bugs you, delete or rename your Sound\XR2Ravenstar\APU Run.wav file. :tiphat:

optimusjamie

Reaction score
I've always found that comparing the DGIV to the XR2 is like comparing the AK47 to the (modern-day, at least) M16- the DGIV is an older design, but with the autopilot it doesn't take as much work to use. The XR2, on the other hand, is a sleek, sexy machine but it does require more work to be used properly.