Yet another new simpit

Robb Bates

Reaction score
I'm taking pictures during assmebly for that very reason.

I've thought a little about portability. I doubt I'd have to move it from where I'm building it, but my design will take into account that I might need to move it through a bedroom door which is 28" wide max. I've kept one dimension at 26", so if I MUST move it, I can break it down and slide it sideways through the door. Not an easy feat, but a possible one.

It's more likely that I'll want to show it off or use it for educational purposes with the YES (Young Engineers and Scientists) group here at work.

Robb

Robb Bates

Reaction score
Well, here's the progress so far. I have the base and main side walls assembled. I've also mounted the car seat. '90 Nissan something. Very space-ish looking. $28 at a junkyard. Also attached is a Google Sketchup 3D model. It's not going to be a very big pit, but big enough. And last is a shot of my Thrustmaster F-16 TQS and F-16 FLCS. $5 and $3.98 at a thrift store. What a steal!!! I've converted the joystick to USB. Still need to do the throttle. In the middle is my touch screen LCD which I'll use as an MFD or TouchBuddy interface.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbates/3814869168/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbates/3814869136/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbates/3814869104/

More to follow as I make progress.

Robb

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wow! Didn't waste any time, did ya!

Just one comment. . . I think you'll need to beef up the side supports to keep them from racking.

Robb Bates

Reaction score
When I say I'm going to build a project, I mean it! Oh, wait, no I don't. I talk and plan and dream and plan and talk and almost never do anything about it. This one for some reason has really lit a fire under my butt.

Don't worry about the sides. Although there's nothing in showing in the pictures or 3D model, the sides will be well supported.

I'm taking Friday off so I can put a whole day's worth of work into this. :D I'm hoping by the weekend that I'll have pretty much what you see in the 3D model plus the throttle, joystick and touch screen.

The base panels are going to be 1/4" (maybe 1/2") plywood and the switches will be mounted panel modules made of either plastic or aluminum plate (haven't decided). Although I have my own CNC machine (it has a very small work volume), the guy here in the CNC shop has (I think) agreed to cut my panel modules. I'm going to cut blanks and then populate them when I finally decide how to interface everything and how many and what switches to put on them.

One dilemma, where to put the groups of switches. e.g. Autopilot. Left above throttle or on right near joystick? Landing gear? Doors? Life Support? Fuel and Engine? Is there any kind of standard? Obviously critical flight controls should be near the joystick and throttle. Less critical can be is less easily accessible spots like far back panels near my sides.

One option I think I'm going to try is to put some MFD button groups at the top left and top right of my front panel. No screens, just hardware buttons. Two columns of six plus the three on the bottom. The MFD displays will still be on the glass cockpit, but the interface buttons will be physical buttons. Thoughts?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbates/3815256954/

Robb

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

I'm looking up switch prices. I've decided to go with the MOM-OFF-MOM toggle/rocker switch and LEDs next to them for status.

But which one? Toggle or rocker? Toggles with the U shaped switch protectors looks very Space Shuttle-y, but the rockers match the Delta Glider class ships. Hmmm, decisions, decisions.

Robb

bpops

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Website
picasaweb.google.com
So you're planning on having the controls for the Left/Right MFD underneath the monitors, and then a third MFD screen with controls embedded on your dashboard?

I think that sounds like a fantastic idea. Did you solve the problem of the controls 'changing' depending on which MFD is used?

And I'd say as long as this project has 'lit a fire under your butt', roll with it. Sometimes I can't think about anything but making progress, and I'll spend all weekend in the garage. Then sometimes a month or two goes by and I don't even think about it, let alone work on it (I'm in one of those spells right now, actually).

Mine's been a work in progress for over 2 years now, but if I had worked on it every weekend since I came up with the idea, I probably would have been done in a few months.

Also, what is the seat you're using? I bought a couple of video game chairs at target, but I think they're too bulky.

Robb Bates

Reaction score
It's a passenger car seat from a 1990 Nissan something or other. I had to search for just the right seat. And I wouldn't call it non-bulky. It's a car seat. But it was from a sports car which usually have compact bucket seats, so I would have to say it's less bulky than something out of a luxury car.

I haven't even come close to figuring out how to interface everything. Right now that's still in the planning stages, but that shouldn't keep me from building other stuff, like the wooden structure.

As far as the MFD buttons, I think (through some very limited research) that I can call oapiGetMFDMode to figure out which MFD is running (orbit, surface, etc), or set the MFD and then send the pre-determined default keystrokes (LShift-T for target). With the standard MFDs, this should work. I wonder if there is an API call to figure out what each of the MFD button shortcuts are.

Robb

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

Nice work on your pit Kilo. I saw yours right after I cut the wood for mine. I liked your side vertical-ish panels, so I added that to my design. Though mines a bit more square. (It's hip to be square!)

Stay in touch, we're probably going to run into the same problems.

Robb

Kilo

Reaction score
Website
www.Kilo-Soft.de
Yes I think so.
Well I wondered first as I saw your design :) It's like my pit.
So I decided to cut the space shuttle cockpit into one...
But the shapes of the design is very very hard to build.

If I can give you a tip, when you make the plan with dimensions...hold on to it. One centimter blend and the shapes of your buildes model wouldn't fit. :)

I also made the sides (where your arms could lay down) inclined. Like in the shuttle. But it was a torture to fit it all.

Robb Bates

Reaction score
I guess there's only so many general ways to built a cockpit. Putting the instrument panel behind the seat just doesn't work for some reason. XD

If I didn't make a plan and stick to it, my pit would end up looking like a wood scrap bin!

Robb

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Tonight's progress.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbates/3815901279/

Robb

Kilo

Reaction score
Website
www.Kilo-Soft.de
Looks great..
ehm, how do you solve the problem with getting in?
I noted (with my simpit) that the panels left and right are higher and to much getting outwards that you can't get in from the side, like in a jet.
So I have to get in from behind, over the seat!

Robb Bates

Reaction score
Well, I designed my pit to be low profile so the sides are only going to be 26" high, so I should be able to step over them. If that proves difficult, I'll have to come up with something else.

Robb

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 AM ----------

My kid was sick today so I had to bring her home. She's fine, but fortunately, that gave me lots of time to work on my pit. I made some awesome progress on the panels.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbates/3819611930http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbates/3819593224
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbates/3818819339http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbates/3819593128

Just need to add the corner panels, attach the main panel and put a top on it. Any additional woodwork is going to be skinning it. That can wait until after the electronics are in place. You can see where I plan on putting the throttle, joystick, keypad and screen. Though I think I may move the screen to the top of the main panel so there's less eye travel between it and the exterior view. My HUD controls will probably by moved to the right side of the touch screen at the top and on the left will be my webcam to be used with FreeTrack.

Coming together quite nicely. And I have all day tomorrow to work on the remainder. Expect to see the above items installed by then.

Robb

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

Oh, and it is a bit tricky to get into and out of. I can still step over the sides, but it's a bit ... uh ... threatening to my manhood, if you get my drift! I'll probably add a step somewhere.

Robb

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have a couple questions about your layout. What are the dimensions of your MIP? It looks like you could fit a 22" monitor in it and still have room for switches. Then the touchscreen could go on one of the corner panels. I know I like to fly with lots of MFDs up, so what arrangement are you thinking of?

Looking good :speakcool:

Robb Bates

Reaction score
The main panel is 24"x14", but there are supports under there, so usable space is only 10.5"x23". I could probably get 12" vertical if I swap out the 2x2s for 1x2s which I'm already thinking of doing. My touch screen is 800x600, so I can get two ExtMFDs on there. That plus the standard left and right MFDs would be four total. Shouldn't that be enough?

Oddly, I don't have a whole lot of actual flight time in Orbiter. I'm very much an electronics hardware guy, so building the pit is in itself my main project. Then I'll get some real flight time in. I say that just so you'll understand that I don't quite know the "ideal" (if there is such a thing) simpit layout. Obviously what I have now is a good start. The rest is yet to be determined. Any and all advise is welcome!

Robb

Last edited:

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
OK, so you're going with a 'synthetic vision' approach using the generic view. That should be ok, then. You'll just have to redesign when you install your three projectors and wraparound vision :)

I'm like you. I started planning my flight deck two weeks after I found Orbiter. I think the only flight time I have is when testing some hardware or software.

Robb Bates

Reaction score
When I have enough money for three projectors, I'll definitely redesign!

Robb

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Robb, what did you work on for SWIFT? I worked on that project too!

Also, if you work on any projects that fall under ITAR then I'd suggest you request you change your usename to something that doesn't contain your name. :)

Robb Bates

Reaction score
I worked on the UVOT and XRT. Yes, I do work on ITAR stuff, but as long as I don't export classified data, it's OK. The only thing I've done so far is just mention the projects I've worked on. I don't think they'll throw me in jail for that. I've worked on some only things a bit more sensitive, but I'll keep those details a bit closer to the chest.

Robb

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Interesting, we were part of the XRt package too (focal plane CCD). I was only an undergrad at the time so didn't get to do much interesting stuff, though. Nice to find someone else who worked on it.:cheers:

Robb Bates

Reaction score
Well, I have pretty much finished the woodwork. Still need to paint it. I've installed the joystick and throttle but I'm holding off on the touchscreen until I decide for sure exactly where to put it. I've wired up most of the stuff. Still not the throttle. I did a test flight. The joystick is a bit rough and doesn't recenter. Probably a bad wire job. I'll have to investigate that. For rudder pedals, I'm currently using the pedal from a Logitech Driving force steering wheel. Another $5.98 steal from the thrift store.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbates/3821293227/

Robb