Discussion Your Venus/Mars mission concepts/proposals

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
Well, the drop tank I did has a bulkhead in it; also, you can make it any shape you want, so long as the area of the circle's cross-section equals that of what I did.

It doesn't have to look like a doughnut, but that's the typical torus...

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

A bit premature, since I'm still working on VESPA, but remember MITO?

Decided to make it have a VESPA derived bus:

JPzXiFc.png

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
Still finalizing the instrument for VESPA-O, but after that, the essential specifications of the probe will be complete. After that, I'm gonna start the actual modeling.

While that's happening, I'm gonna switch focus to VESPA-A; that one still needs a lot of work to it. And, after a long hiatus, I'm going to resume work on the IPSA LVs addon too.

Nicholander, how's PADSL going along?

Nicholander

Reaction score
I apologize, I just haven't had enough time to start modelling it. I'll start either later today or tomorrow.

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
Got addicted to a frikkin' game (can't believe it myself), so progress kinda slowed a bit, but still doing it.

Not sure when I will do Post #2, that one's gonna be long. I'll probably continue work on VESPA-O/A, and then maybe start on MITO. Finishing the IPSA LVs addon takes priority over that, though.

And then I want to continue work on ISP, haven't post something there in over a month...:(

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
Instrument baseline is almost finished; the design of Giovanni is still under formulation, as well as any instruments it will/may hold.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

Also working on the official mission patch.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
The design of the VESPA orbiter, incidentally, looks pretty much like a project of mine involving another orbiter for Jupiter, that I would add to the Galileo II package for giving to the orbinauts the possibility of a different mission path: the MOVE spacecraft (Magnetospheric Orbiter and Volcano Explorer). I have a detailed description of the spacecraft and of the rationale of the mission, and I can share it if may be useful.

Returning to Venus, I want say that the Venusian environment on the cloudtop, recently, is emerging as one of the most potentially habitable of the entire Solar System. Exploration of the upper atmosphere, even in search of microbial life, could be interesting for a flagship-class mission to our sister planet.

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
On the progress of the VESPA-O model, I don't feel inclined to get into too much detail until the design is more final, but here's what it looks like right now:

gD4VMaL.png

Compared to a older spacecraft model which is more complete:

Pdj6yC7.png

I have a detailed description of the spacecraft and of the rationale of the mission, and I can share it if may be useful.

That would be great. :) I don't suppose we will need to start a Jupiter/Saturn thread too now? :justkidding:

---------- Post added 03-23-15 at 04:37 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-22-15 at 11:19 PM ----------

Following on from this post, the instrument baseline is almost complete.

The UVI instrument has been deleted; instead, there is UVIS (Ultraviolet Imaging Spectrograph), which will preform similar functions. This also means the SPECTRA is deleted as well; still looking into that.

There is now a Public Dust Counter (PDC), which will measure the dust spectra of the spacecraft's environment from cruise to VOI, and possibly, while in orbit.

A single Langmuir Probe will be included, attached to a dedicated boom.

Additionally, a Ultra-Stable Crystal Oscillator (ICO) will be used to conduct radio science investigations; this is a relatively compact instrument, and it is possible there will be TWO redundant copies of this instrument onboard.

Older instruments that have not been mentioned as of now, and are included in the older post, are still part of the baseline payload.

Depending on how the design(s) for Giovanni and/or VESPA-A turn out, I want to include some "drop sondes" in their payload.

Still trying to picture the main focus of VESPA-O's mission, afterwards the instruments should become more specialized.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Well, I never included the ultra-stable oscillator in the list, because it's not really an autonomous instrument: it rely on the high gain antenna of the spacecraft. Good addition, though.

---------- Post added 03-24-15 at 08:01 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-23-15 at 03:09 PM ----------

Compared to a older spacecraft model which is more complete:

Pdj6yC7.png
Excellent model! Reminds me Rosetta.

I don't suppose we will need to start a Jupiter/Saturn thread too now? :justkidding:
:lol: Why not? :lol:

Nicholander

Reaction score
That older spacecraft model looks great! What was it made for?

And there should also be a Mercury and... uh... [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcanoid_asteroid"]Vulcanoid Asteroids[/ame]? :lol:

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
Well, I never included the ultra-stable oscillator in the list, because it's not really an autonomous instrument: it rely on the high gain antenna of the spacecraft. Good addition, though.

If I'm correct, the only "dedicated" hardware for the ultra-stable oscillator would've been a small "card"? I mean, isn't it like, really small?

And there should also be a Mercury and... uh... Vulcanoid Asteroids? :lol:

Not that we couldn't do it, but...that makes a lot of threads, especially if we start aspiring for the KBOs or the asteroids/comets. :lol:

Wait, do Vulcanoids actually exist? :confused:

Excellent model! Reminds me Rosetta.

That older spacecraft model looks great! What was it made for?

It was inspired by Rosetta. It was a dual asteroid/comet rendezvous mission, but it wasn't exactly realistic, since I now understand that such a mission wouldn't be possible without electric propulsion. Realized this many months after I posted the story, unfortunately. :(

K_Jameson

Reaction score
If I'm correct, the only "dedicated" hardware for the ultra-stable oscillator would've been a small "card"? I mean, isn't it like, really small?

In this image you can view an oscillator. The connector can give you a sense of scale.

essential-parameters-of-space-borne-oscillators-for-satellite-based-augmentation-system-sbas-31-638.jpg

Anyway... small or not, isn't an instrument that you can normally recognize in the external mesh of the spacecraft.

Wait, do Vulcanoids actually exist? :confused:
No one was discovered so far...

It was inspired by Rosetta. It was a dual asteroid/comet rendezvous mission, but it wasn't exactly realistic, since I now understand that such a mission wouldn't be possible without electric propulsion. Realized this many months after I posted the story, unfortunately.

90 Antiope could be an exciting target...

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
90 Antiope could be an exciting target...

Well, I'm actually working on a binary asteroid mission; the destination, however, is currently set to be 65803 Didymos. Though that destination is still under evaluation... ;)

The dual asteroid/comet mission was called ARCHIMEDES, and due to my naivity at the time, the actual targets for the mission were more or less made up. If I had known as much as I do now then, I probably wouldn't have posted it. For some damn reason, I'm still kinda proud of it, since it's a template for how I intend to do the VESPA posts, when I get around to doing them. :)

Would link it, but can't, as I'm in school right now.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
I don't suppose we will need to start a Jupiter/Saturn thread too now? :justkidding:

Actually, I think that would be a great idea--it would allow me to merge in some discussion of ASM (Arroway/Sharapova/MINOTAUR) and contribute to you gentlemens' discussions:)

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Exploration of the upper atmosphere, even in search of microbial life, could be interesting for a flagship-class mission to our sister planet.
You know, you're right:hmm:
Wow, who would have ever expected Venus to be a possible colonization target?:lol:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Actually, I think that would be a great idea--it would allow me to merge in some discussion of ASM (Arroway/Sharapova/MINOTAUR) and contribute to you gentlemens' discussions:)

Glad to open a Jupiter/Saturn thread... I have various concepts to show, that hopefully can be interesting for those that are in search of some inspiration in this field of developing... the danger is to be too "redundant"...

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

Well, I'm actually working on a binary asteroid mission; the destination, however, is currently set to be 65803 Didymos. Though that destination is still under evaluation... ;)

The dual asteroid/comet mission was called ARCHIMEDES, and due to my naivity at the time, the actual targets for the mission were more or less made up. If I had known as much as I do now then, I probably wouldn't have posted it. For some damn reason, I'm still kinda proud of it, since it's a template for how I intend to do the VESPA posts, when I get around to doing them. :)

Would link it, but can't, as I'm in school right now.

An exceptionally valuable science mission would be a flyby or orbiter spacecraft to 16 Psiche: our only chance to directly explore an exposed metallic core. But Psiche is not featured on Orbit Hangar...

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Glad to open a Jupiter/Saturn thread... I have various concepts to show, that hopefully can be interesting for those that are in search of some inspiration in this field of developing... the danger is to be too "redundant"...

I edited the OP of the ASM thread to open it up for Jupiter/Saturn discussion, but I can withdraw the invitation if you'd rather make one yourself?

K_Jameson

Reaction score
I think that can be used your topic, but would be better to move it in this section of the forum...

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
I edited the OP of the ASM thread to open it up for Jupiter/Saturn discussion, but I can withdraw the invitation if you'd rather make one yourself?

Well, any decision is up to you guys; I have a Jupiter mission concept, but it's preliminary and I refuse to go into more detail until VESPA and MITO have had some work.

I wouldn't mind seeing any potential concepts, but I won't have anything to contribute. :(

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

An exceptionally valuable science mission would be a flyby or orbiter spacecraft to 16 Psiche: our only chance to directly explore an exposed metallic core. But Psiche is not featured on Orbit Hangar...

16 Psyche, I think has a Discovery-class mission proposal to study it. I agree it would be a very interesting target for exploration; I think it may be possible to integrate Psyche in Orbiter as long as the .cfg file is right.

But I don't think Psyche has a launch opportunity in Trajectory Browser, so I can't braindump on a potential concept.

Might you still present the MOVE spacecraft as mentioned earlier?

K_Jameson

Reaction score
I have a Jupiter mission concept,
Interesting.
Jupiter is my favorite target. Not coincidentally, Galileo II, the first and so far most complex and expensive FOI space probe, is targeted to this planet.
I hope that your concept isn't too similar to mine. It's good to see different ideas :) For example, I have thought about a Jupiter atmospheric multiprobe similar to Pioneer Venus 2.

Might you still present the MOVE spacecraft as mentioned earlier?
Surely.
Anyway, further analysis and a reading of this article, is convincing me that the genre of mission that I wanted for the MOVE spacecraft can be conducted by Galileo II, so this concept is currently on question. But the spacecraft can be redirected on other targets. Anyway, I can provide some insight on the spacecraft...