News Yucca Mountain canceled

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Might as well start a whole new thread to talk about Obama, neo-cons and sundry criticisms. ;)

With nuclear reprocessing I think its probably better to have a few centralized locations than at every nuclear plant. Partially for economy of scale reasons regarding size and cost of equipment and the small fact that nuclear chemistry can be dangerous if not done right (radiation and heavy metal dangers, both the heavy metals and chemicals needed are quite caustic).

Omhra

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
If you read again... and I suggest you do... it is not about Dems, Neo-cons, or Reps... Is about the stupidity of getting drawn into a sea of ideas without waiting enough time to make an intelligent call...
Its about Politics.
Again your response is normal, but if you start that thread in it I will make it a great deal more clear for you.

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

And I don't mean you Eagle...
Just in general.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that reprocessing spent fuel violated some treaty or other?

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Nevermind, it was the anti-nuketards who drove the stupidity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_reprocessing

wiki said:
In October 1976, fear of nuclear weapons proliferation (especially after India demonstrated nuclear weapons capabilities using reprocessing technology) led President Gerald Ford to issue a Presidential directive to indefinitely suspend the commercial reprocessing and recycling of plutonium in the U.S. This was confirmed by President Jimmy Carter in 1977. After that, only countries that already had large investments in reprocessing infrastructure continued to reprocess spent nuclear fuel. President Reagan lifted the ban in 1981, but did not provide the substantial subsidy that would have been necessary to start up commercial reprocessing.[4]
In March 1999, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) reversed its own policy and signed a contract with a consortium comprised of Duke Energy, COGEMA, and Stone & Webster (DCS) to design and operate a Mixed Oxide (MOX) fuel fabrication facility. Site preparation at the Savannah River Site (South Carolina) began in October 2005.

BTW, I love how the article says Reagan "didn't provide the subsidy", as though it's the president's job to appropriate money. We have way too much belief and emphasis on the executive power these days.

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Nuclear plants should have their own on site processing... they are not looking at the whole picture and not completing their business and it has become too easy to dump it in a politically hot center...

Politically driven moot-point-issues...

Which brings me to the off-topic section of this post.

[off-topic]
it is amazing how well structured the "republican rhetoric" is.
They are accusing the new President with exactly the tactics the Neo-Cons employ.
It really is a genial thing they do.

They used 911 to scare us and mold our mass consciousness to fear terror, then Afghanistan, then Al Qaeda, and then finally Iraq. All by the power of repetition and forced association.
There by spent (inexplicably) 700+billion in a war that was unrelated.
They had previously allowed Enron (party contributors) to rip off millions upon millions from the west of USA, but every one, instead, got focused on "Wold Crossing" ... They destroyed the constitution with the obscene "patriot Act..." which if you read it you will know it is obscene.
Disposed of the Geneva conventions etc...
And then they ran up a deficit that made history...
and bugged out leaving the world economy in ruins and tethering on the verge of mass war.

Now a new guy comes in with "idealism" like JFK, or Dr. King... or that other misfit Lincoln... And Limbaugh (how novel) rallies up the reps by attaching all the labels they themselves carry, across the alley.

Not new, not seamless... very expected.

---Politics!---

If you believe in just words you are an idiot - no-matter whose words you buy into... but if you look just at the facts,,,

and yes I expect the Neo-cons to be annoyed.

I enjoy it.

[end off-topic]

Wow, I just read what you posted. Let me guess, you're really into political rants. I will let the administration's own actions speak for themselves. Obama is a green newbie and is over his head right now. To think otherwise is not looking at just the facts that have occurred up till this point.

Omhra

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Bhawthorne; thats what I said... let the actions speak... too soon to tell... k?

unless you just read the last post... in which case you don't know what we ( I ) are talking about...

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, this forum has its share of confiscatory hyper-lefties, as well as waterboarding war-mongering righties and libertarian wack-job gun nuts like me. It's only a forum, we're all mostly harmless here. Have a beer and relax. (Unless you're a member of the Women Christian Temperance Union, in which case you can take a flying leap.)

Omhra

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
indeed Andy44;
I am a gun lover.. I have quite a few.
I like centrist government.. where some things are socialized and most things are private... I love freedom and the right to say anything...
I dislike Republicans and Democrats both... at the same time I like things of both parties.. but above all I like intelligent talks... ...on these forums I mostly read, until something sparks the bug to chatter... I have learned so much here.
I wish, tho, some would take more care when reading the posts here... instead of hanging on the last line and generalizing.

Those booties and gowns, tools and scrap that make most of the "nuclear" waste could be incinerated anyplace and mostly it makes the news to rally some political mood... the rods could be reused for airport runway lights and other things... besides ammunition for the Warthog and the Abrams M1A...