Rant 1 thing that I truly admire about the US

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
All this talk about politics quickly makes us forget, or some of us atleast, that there's so much more to the US than terror-laws and flying killer-drones in arab countries.

If I should list 1 thing that I truly admire about the US, and wish we had more of here in Denmark, then it is the CUTE kind of patriotism.

United States beats everybody on that. Here's 4 I found today. If these can't melt your heart, then your not human :)

Kaitlyn Maher (4yo), "the land of the fwee"

Cactus Cuties, harmonizing vocals

10 Year old Julia Dale, articulation beyond belief

Athena Creese, talent and power

We DO sing the national danish anthem also, here in Denmark, at sporting-events etc, but even though people sing along and really enjoy it (and all the more power to them for doing that, singing is good for you) we just don't have the same tradition for this type of singing. I don't know any european country, or even any other country in the world, that has that. It seems to me to be a special US thing. I really do wish this type of patriotism wasn't frowned upon outside the USA.

Anyway, here's an example of how the great danes do it for comparison (no, not the dogs :p )

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
This is how we in England do it. This one I remember well because we got our ass kicked by the Germans, AGAIN. And they tell us not to mention the war dammit. I got reaaly drunk dureing and after this game and still waved the flag while I tried to get home. Hense posting an old one.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Well, it's pretty much impossible to render this anthem in a "cute" way, but a Chinese guy who probably doesn't speak a word of Serbian managed it somehow:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Not sure how he did that.

In theory, with a tachymeter, the help of the engineers & good musical knowledge, maybe he did a chart like "A = ... Hz = 13000 rpm, A# = ... Hz = 13300 rpm, B = ... Hz = 14500 rpm, etc...".

Or maybe he is just skilled !

:rofl:

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
The guy isn't in the car, the engine is being entirely controlled by the laptop visible in the center of the screen for most of the video.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Unfortunately, no-one can sing the national anthem of bosnia. It's got no text. They couldn't agree on what language it should be in. So much for bosnian "patriotism" and cutness... :facepalm:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Unfortunately, no-one can sing the national anthem of bosnia. It's got no text. They couldn't agree on what language it should be in. So much for bosnian "patriotism" and cutness... :facepalm:

A small chunk in each native language...derp :p

Jarvitä

Reaction score

Because nobody wants to sing about an artificial state that was forced on them.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Something in the European style. We sing our anthem ourselves.

Also, it is much better having a peaceful drinking song as national anthem, as a head-born militarist composition, that requires years of indoctrination for remembering the lyrics. :p ;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The tragedy is that if you did that, it would be hard to tell the difference...

Then make it like the Swiss - one anthem, multiple lyrics. :lol:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That's actually the same lyrics, only in three different languages, but the german version is "canon". I guess it works because people haven't shot at each other recently...

Jarvitä

Reaction score
That's actually the same lyrics, only in three different languages, but the german version is "canon". I guess it works because people haven't shot at each other recently...

It works because the people of Switzerland have at some point agreed to identify as a single nationality. Bosnia is just a miniature Yugoslavia waiting to blow up again. Excuse me if I don't feel patriotic about that.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It works because the people of Switzerland have at some point agreed to identify as a single nationality. Bosnia is just a miniature Yugoslavia waiting to blow up again. Excuse me if I don't feel patriotic about that.

There are good historic reasons to be not so negative... just look what Germans had been able to do against each other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty_Years'_War

Compared to this, the Balkan wars had been just a tiny incident.