Problem 2D Cockpit display getting cut off

saturnx

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm new to this whole Orbiter Simulator thing (Like just found, and downloaded it like and hour ago) , so I'm still not quite sure what I'm doing, and may be missing something. Anyways, I was following the quickstart guide in the manual, but came across a problem. When switching into the 2D cockpit display, I noticed that a whole bottom section of the cockpit was getting cut off, and after seeing the picture in the manual, it seems like it's almost half of it. I have tried to mess around with the window size, and aspect ratio. But even if I set it to 800 x 600, with it being just a tiny little window, it still cuts off about half of the cockpit. This makes it pretty difficult to do much! If you can help me get this fixed, I can continue with trying to learn the game. Along with this, if you have any advice, for starting, and finding my way through the game, I will take it gladly! :) Thank you

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Are you using the default Delta Glider? IIRC, the cockpit layout was changed quite a bit. I think you need to press the down button to get the view to scroll down and see the rest of it. Not sure though, I'm at work and can't verify.

saturnx

Reaction score
I don't see anything eluding to being able to scroll down. What do you mean by IIRC?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 23

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
"IIRC" means "If I recall correctly". :) To scroll your view down (i.e., to scroll the panel up), press <down arrow> on your keyboard. Also, to switch between the DeltaGlider's upper panel and main panel, press CTRL-up-arrow or CTRL-down-arrow.

For more information about the DeltaGlider, take a look at $ORBITER_ROOT\Doc\DeltaGlider.pdf. :tiphat:

Marijn

Reaction score
Welcome to Orbiter. My advice is to ignore the stock Delta Glider and install the DeltaGlider-XR1 as your beginner-vessel to learn Orbiter. You can download it here: http://www.alteaaerospace.com/index-3.html

It has three panel sizes, 1280, 1600 and 1920 pixels wide which it will auto-select.

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Welcome to Orbiter. My advice is to ignore the stock Delta Glider and install the DeltaGlider-XR1 as your beginner-vessel to learn Orbiter. You can download it here: http://www.alteaaerospace.com/index-3.html

It has three panel sizes, 1280, 1600 and 1920 pixels wide which it will auto-select.

Yeah I agree, XR1 2D panel doesn't take up 1/2 the screen in widescreen which was my main issue with the DG. XR1 also has some easy to use useful functions in it's flight computer such as rate of descent, I think those are also in the DG or can be used by downloading a MFD.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Assuming you run Windows 10:

Go to Orbiter folder.
Right-click on Orbiter.exe icon --> Properties

Go to the Compatibility tab.

Change the High DPI settings to Application.
(Note: On older Win 10 systems: Disable High DPI font scaling.)
Click OK.

Explaination:
By default Window activates the "Scaling at High DPI resolutions".
This is to improve the readabilty of small text on high-resolution displays.
Unfortunately it does so by clipping off the bottom and right part of the screen and enlarging the remaining protion to this area.

You probably noticed this effect in panel mode only, but it is present all time while the application is runing.

saturnx

Reaction score
Thank you guys! Pressing the down arrow key seems to fix the problem, along with doing Ctrl-Up arrow to see the rest of the cockpit. But, changing the DPI to application, didn't seem to have any affect. Also, I will try switching to the Delta XR1, since you say that it works better. :)

Marijn

Reaction score
Also, I will try switching to the Delta XR1, since you say that it works better. :)

Download the XR2 and XR5 as well while you're at it. Make sure to check the prerequisites for the XR series. You need to install OrbiterSound and UMmu. These are installers, not zip files, which throw a few pop-up questions at you. Even though these downloads seem outdated (which they are if I am correct), but they're still the ones you need.

I am used to this step when setting up Orbiter, but I can imagine it not very clear for new users.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
BTW, if you're doing a clean install of the XRs anyway, I would recommend you check out the new beta XR versions that use XRSound (the beta versions also have fixed wheel braking performance) -- they will likely be released on my Web site within a week or so. :) Details and download links here: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=39204 You do not need to download OrbiterSound or UMMU (which crashes on use anyway in Orbiter 2016) in order to use the new XR beta versions.

saturnx

Reaction score
Ok, thank you! I'll do that! I already have OrbiterSound, so I'll have to install UMMU.:)