Question 3D Orbiter support?

rstr

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It's working already !

Hi.
True 3D with NVidia shutter glasses is already is working with the D3D9 beta client !

Just run the Orbiter_NG with the D3D9ClientBeta1 on a HighEnd GTX480 system with NVidia3DVision shutter glasses. The NVidia 3D driver automatically renders every scene twice, for left and right eye, provided there is a DX9/10/11 environment (see developers section on http://developer.nvidia.com/object/3d_stereo_dev.html) - no other change needed.
View is not at all comparable with the limited old red/blue stereoscopic glasses, as the shutter glasses transmit full color / full resolution images at 60 Hz (120 Hz monitor required). Just ran the Orbiter ISS scenario, with the ISS popping right out of the screen while drifting before our turning blue marble earth. No comparison to the already fine pseudo-3D standard display in Orbiter. You wouldn't believe what an impressive sight this "real" 3D is, unless you've seen the initial sequences of 3D movie Avatar with that space freighter drifting before Pandora. And all this just because of the D3D9 client for Orbiter-NG !!! Great work that should be supported. See appropriate thread http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=18431&page=1

Regards - Rob

Last edited:

HarvesteR

Reaction score
I've had the eDimensional glasses... they're ok I guess, but nowhere close to a perfect all-in-one solution for 3D...

Now nVidia has come out with their 3D vision kit, which I've tried out, and it does look great...

But the hassles of stereo 3D still apply, you still have to wear glasses, which for me is a big dealbreaker, since it will never feel natural if you have to strap stuff to your head...

And the Nvidia kit REQUIRES a monitor that can do 120hz... which is something most monitors don't do. So you'd have to get yourself new monitors... and if your on a Triple Head setup like me, that's even worse, since you'd have to get 3 new monitors, and that's provided Matrox will one day come up with a Triple Head device that supports 120hz...

Big no no, still...

I've heard Zalman has come up with a new monitor called TriMon, which is supposed to do lenticular 3D. No glasses required. It works like one of those cards you twist around and the picture animates... IDK how well it works though...

And about 3D in movies, well, it depends on the theater really... if they know how to do it right, provide big, comfortable glasses,, compensate for brightness loss, calibrate the convergences and all the works, it will look very good. If not (as is the case in the theater we usually go to here), then it's a waste of money...

The other day we went to see Pirates of the Caribbean in 3D, and felt a little ripped off... The movie doesn't gain anything from being in 3D, and you have to pay extra for a 3D movie... plus, the projectionists apparently didn't read the manual, and didn't compensate for brightness loss... the result, a dark movie in which you had to wear glasses to see something that would have looked better without. :p

I does look like a fad... and one that's wearing off at that.

Cheers

crim3d

Reaction score
I've heard Zalman has come up with a new monitor called TriMon, which is supposed to do lenticular 3D. No glasses required. It works like one of those cards you twist around and the picture animates... IDK how well it works though...
I have the Zalman. It uses polarized glasses similar to those you wear on the theater with the RealD system. It's a great stereoscopic display and the glasses are a lot more confortable than those bulky shutter-glasses.
I also have a 3D projector. It uses shutters, which for me is a drawback compared to the Zalman, but stereo in a 80" screen it's simply amazing, the closest thing to reality I have experienced by now.

I've tried Orbiter with the latest release of the D3D9 client but stereo doesn't work (3d vision driver, I'm yet to try the iz3d driver). I don't know why it's happening. :-/
By the way, Orbiter looks fabulous with this client. Great job!

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I've tried Orbiter with the latest release of the D3D9 client but stereo doesn't work (3d vision driver, I'm yet to try the iz3d driver). I don't know why it's happening. :-/
By the way, Orbiter looks fabulous with this client. Great job!

It should work but only in a true fullscreen mode. You need to uncheck the "fullscreen window" from the video tab.

Dkakaur

Reaction score
Orbiter in 3D-STEREO

Guys! I need your help!
Could you tell me how can I run Orbiter in Split-screen stereo.
This is very important for me :)