A rant.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Recently, I did something unusual.

During a routine shopping trip, I came away with a new PC game. It's been years since I delved into the PC gaming market, and I felt it was time to do something for myself for a change.

That was the high point.

Installation process was as defined:

* Click on product installation link.
* Redirected to Origin installation dialogue box instead.
* Sign Origin TOS.
* Install Origin.
-- Uncheck "Add shortcut to desktop and start menu"
-- Uncheck "Receive special offers from partners"
-- Uncheck "Monitor system usage"
-- Uncheck "Engage in posterior core monitoring"
* Forcibly update Origin (no way out of this process)
* Create Origin account.
* Register hardcopy serial number with Origin.

By this time, we're about two hours into the process.

* Presented with game installation dialogue box.
* Configure game path and more items unchecked.

Now . . . I did some bizarre things during this whole process that I, admittedly, shot myself in the foot with. Number one, I wanted no part in this company knowing anything about me or my usage preferences, so I fudged a lot of identifying information. Secondly, I conveniently forgot my password to this game launcher after the fact, because I came to learn one could launch the game without the launcher, so I felt I had no need for it.

Enter in another two days of fighting with the whole smash in my off time -- including a reinstallation and failed reregistration (with quasi-legit information this time). That was frustrating enough.

The topper on the cake though?

A brief search on the problem resulted in a handful of incontrovertible facts:

1. The launcher has been updated: It can not be circumvented regardless if you have a legit physical copy of the game -- the launcher HAS to be active, with access to the internet even if you don't intend to play online at all.

2. Technical support was directly asked about this exact phenomena. Technical support replied that the launcher was not required, and one could play the game offline. This information was current as of no more than three months ago.

3. Technical support essentially lied to the customer. Or, in less strident language, they provided false information.

So . . .

I'm done with that noise for right now.

That's essentially what has been frustrating me beyond belief for the past few days -- a game is a luxury, not a cause for a marked increase in blood pressure. Nor should it require an undue amount of effort and logo viewing before things even begin to come together.

Total tally: 4 days of fighting with rather draconian, user-unfriendly software, punctuated by about two hours of gameplay. :dry:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A brave new world... full of Digital Restriction Management.

I decided that no game EA could produce is worth the torture, that they inflict on their customers.

First of all, EA was never known for quality gaming. It was bulk produced, often just the same as last year sold under a new title with small modifications to the game data. No effort, high price. Lots of stupid customers. They should make it as easy as possible to give them my money - instead they make me think first and decide to not buy this software.

Next, my experience with the history of computer gaming is quite simple: You have to accept a small amount of illegal copies for making many more people buy your software. You have to make it hard to copy your software, but not so hard that it annoys the customer. Better have 200,000 crackers, than 200,000 unhappy customers. It is easier to make somebody pay for your next game, who didn't for the current one, than getting an unhappy customer back. And in the modern internet, unhappiness with your software is viral. 200,000 really upset customers can become 2,000,000 upset customers, who are already disappointed if you just make their life a bit harder.

But the EA manager have likely NEVER played any computer game in their life, nor have they likely ever had to install the software on their PCs themselves. They are email printers.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In a few words: What Urwumpe said. If I buy a PC game, it's from Amazon or a local pawn shop, and chances are it's about 5 or more years old. The installation process was nice back then: a CD or three, a few boxes unchecked, and a polite declination to register online. Actual gameplay within the hour, and probably no more bother from the publisher again. One satisfied customer who would be willing to buy the next release, had it not already come out and been unplayable because of what you just described, and probably also an inferior product.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, in Bosnia, you have as good as no hassle with any game you buy. Install, copy crack provided on game disc, profit!

It's even legal here to sell pirated copies (since originals cost a rather significant fraction of a month's salary...), and any qualms I might have had just melt away by the incredible effort you have to spend to play an original.

Still, It's a loooong time ago since I actually played an AAA title. Most of my gaming money goes to GoG. Good service, no DRM, no kidding around. Give the money, get the game, and we're done. No silly programs to install.

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
If I might ask, what game was it? Or are they all like that nowadays?

The last new title I purchased was FSX and the last game...was some FPS named, F.E.A.R., I believe.

Quite awhile ago.

But I've a (fairly) new gaming machine (that I plan to keep internet-free), and I've been thinking of 'expanding' beyond Orbiter and FSX.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
The last game I paid for was Borderlands. I might get Borderlands 2, my daughter plays it and she wants us to team up on some things (I'm the sniper type, while she more rough-and-tumble).

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Heh. Yeah. DRM used to be an acronym in my lexicon: "Doesn't Really Matter."

I guess the biggest thing I've taken away from this whole thing -- and it really did start right at the installation process -- was how utterly ridiculous the whole affair was. I mean, no explanation or rhyme or reason was given for the necessity of the bloatware, and the fact said bloatware ended up being absolutely required (without ever being glossed over, and in fact outrightly denied) was just too much for me.

At this point, I'm more disappointed than anything, really. I could have spent good money on the entire Sims 3 franchise had this worked out (that should answer your question, Aeadar). It didn't, and I'm all kinds of 'ugh' on the whole thing; I don't even know where to begin.

I suppose the next step is DRM on console games -- and I've heard they're already well on their way to achieving that dream. Imagine if your console gets busted, or (heaven forbid) you mouth off to the wrong person on a social forum -- that $60-70 you just spent is effectively spent for no reason and you've just bricked your game.

Seriously. It's a game. :dry:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The only really bad thing: Because EA bought Maxis, the new Simcity will also be ruined with Origin. Well, to quote a Hungerian:

I will not buy this record, it is scratched.

This one will get especially important because: Games that require me to be online for playing them are completely non-sense if you are using them in places where you have no internet. I could invest into a mobile data stick, but that would be expensive and quickly drained.

Last edited:

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
And that's just the thing -- Maxis (and Origin, to a great extent) used to mean something. That was an unintentional shocker right there.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
You're correct Scav, there IS DRM on consoles. Hell, Far Cry 3 has a 'user code' wherein if you didnt buy a code, or a new copy of the game, you can't play multiplayer.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
If I buy games, I buy them for my Xbox 360. The last game I bought was Borderlands 2. The last game that I've bought for my PC was... FSX.

I don't have much time for gaming, and the time that I have will go in Orbiter: planning missions, preparing for launches etc.

I used to game a lot (I had a couple of surgeries a couple of years ago, so there was plenty of time for that), but I have college now, a girlfriend, work.. just not enough time to spend on gaming. Besides that, I don't really enjoy it anymore as I did in the past.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
It's kinda sad. EA basically took a really good product and ripped it apart, then shoved dependancy on bloatware in it, and asks people to pay 60$. I can absolutely guarantee you, there'll be a cracked version, and it'll work better than the retail version.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Urwumpe;bt5146 said:
Looks like you are really not alone complaining about Origin:

Over 1000 negative reviews with very detailled text to explain, why Origin is responsible that they can't even play that game. In German law, it would be a reason to demand the money back from EA, because the claimed product was not delivered.

A PR disaster.

Aye. Heartily agree with you. First, the good:

plantos500 said:
You'd think I'd be mega unhappy like everyone else at the constant waiting and lack of actually being able to play a game I purchased.

Well, you'd be wrong.

The hours upon hours since launch that I haven't been able to log in, whether it be sitting in queues, or server busy messages, or just plain old not working screens, I've managed to do a heap of things that I never do when I'm locked in my man cave playing video games.

I've washed the dishes, the laundry, changed the oil in the car, mopped the floors, dusted, did a spot of gardening, greeted my children who I hadn't really seen since Christmas, walked the dog, asked how my wife's day has been and listened to the entire response, restocked the groceries and many more things! My family has never been happier that they've got a father and husband again.

In fact, I feel like Simcity has given me a new lease on life. This wouldn't have been possible without the seemingly crazy decision to have constant online connections and server side save points even for single player.

So I can only thank EA and Maxis. Your failures have been my rewards. 5 stars!

This about sums it up right there. I like this guy! :rofl:

In any spare time I have at work, usually after peak activity, I actually enjoy reading the customer reviews of the products I'm selling. I'll usually go for the worst/most flagrant reviews first; these guys know how to gripe, and they do it well. Plus, it's the fact they give a :censored: enough to say something, that's remarkable enough as it is.

Perusing the amazon site today was a walk down sheer pleasure, soaking in all the bile.

Now, the bad:

The plot is thickening with the whole debacle. I'm only going to post this (http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/...-refunds-threatens-customer-with-origin-bans/) once, and definitely as far out of public as possible, as this is getting way over my head. I'm definitely starting to run out of steam. I'm just going to eat that $30 I spent (of course, it could've been a lot worse!) and just stay away from this whole mess.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well it looks like I was lucky enough to wait until NET late this year to decide whether to buy SimCity '13 or not. Looks like I can simply scrap my plan and keep my second hand SC4...... :uhh:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Urwumpe;bt5141 said:
The only really bad thing: Because EA bought Maxis, the new Simcity will also be ruined with Origin. Well, to quote a Hungerian:

I will not buy this record, it is scratched.

:rofl:

And your hovercraft is full of eels!

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
Ubi brought out Silent Hunter 5. You had to have a net connection for that. You had to login everytime you wanted to play the sim and your gamesaves where kept on thier server. I complained to Ubi and got nothing back.
I dumped my disk and I never buy off Ubi anymore, I still use my old Silent Hunter 3 (internet leash free).

Funny how the reviews I read prior to buying it never hinted that the player was kept on a leash during gameplay. It's a monopolising world in which we live.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
PennyBlack;bt5186 said:
It's a monopolising world in which we live.

Aye, m8.

Through all of this, though, I'm glad we have what we have here: No DRM, a fluid, dynamic, EDITABLE UI and gameplay engine that was written by a guy who knows what they're doing, and an online community that is neither invasive nor nonexistent. Best of all, it's all free, no adware, and it all stands on its own merits. :tiphat:

Diamond in the rough, indeed.

:hailprobe:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Scav;bt5191 said:
Aye, m8.

Through all of this, though, I'm glad we have what we have here: No DRM, a fluid, dynamic, EDITABLE UI and gameplay engine that was written by a guy who knows what they're doing,

Yes we do :lol:

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5208"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5208[/ame]

Scav;bt5191 said:
Aye, m8.

Through all of this, though, I'm glad we have what we have here: No DRM, a fluid, dynamic, EDITABLE UI and gameplay engine that was written by a guy who knows what they're doing, and an online community that is neither invasive nor nonexistent. Best of all, it's all free, no adware, and it all stands on its own merits. :tiphat:

Diamond in the rough, indeed.

:hailprobe:

Damn straight. Orbiter is a stronger application because its free, and that will always be a source of strength for it. To anyone looking to replace it with something commercial, I say good luck! :p