A Rare Victory

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I often bemoan the shocking prevalence of irrational thought and the general lack of healthy skepticism in popular culture. But this article:

http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/08-06-04.html#feature

puts a little empirical shine on the steady defeat of one particularly disgusting brand of hoo-doo.

It's nice to see at least one bright spot out there.

GB, THHotA

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Breaking News:
Tinfoil company stocks going down,
experts baffled.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I knew this was going to happen when Google Trends became final. :D

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Now if only the "Moon Landing Conspiracy" people will shut up, we can finally have a happy world.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't think the dragon of the 9/11 CT has been slain, only repressed for now. In the future I imagine it will crop up again.

bujin

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't think the dragon of the 9/11 CT has been slain, only repressed for now. In the future I imagine it will crop up again.

Aye, these things are never killed off entirely.

You'd have thought that after convincingly showing the world that "Intelligent Design" was a pseudonym for "Creationism" in the Dover trial (and therefore, religious) that attempts to get it taught in the science class would be dead and buried by now, but no, they simply change their tactics and try a different method - the one that's rearing its ugly head now is to "teach the controversy" and "teach the flaws" of evolution.

:censored: off! :mad:

I'm with Greg on the "bemoaning the prevalence of irrational thought" thing!

Good to see a good victory for scepticism for a change!

(Granted, the creationism thing isn't a big problem in Britain at the moment, but that's not to say that if it does sneak in in America that it won't spread...)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Aye, these things are never killed off entirely.

You'd have thought that after convincingly showing the world that "Intelligent Design" was a pseudonym for "Creationism" in the Dover trial (and therefore, religious) that attempts to get it taught in the science class would be dead and buried by now, but no, they simply change their tactics and try a different method - the one that's rearing its ugly head now is to "teach the controversy" and "teach the flaws" of evolution.

If they would at least address the flaws and controversies of evolution. They don't even know a bit about evolution, that's why they can never even tell at which points evolution becomes a tiny bit unscientific. ;) Just ask them about evolution - as long as they can't explain what evolution is, they also can't tell, what it is not.

The only way, you can teach at a school in a state of religious freedom, is keeping true to a strict naturalism. They can teach the supernatural stuff in religious classes - after all, which religion is now correct with their explanation of the world?

Just ask the Shinto-Buddhists about their knowledge of the creation of the world... you might be surprised. Or the many African tribal faiths, which have a genesis, which would make even Hugh Hefner blush.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Or the many African tribal faiths, which have a genesis, which would make even Hugh Hefner blush.

Go on.... :blink:

Religion is nice, as long as everybody is free to choose and is allowed to live happily without religions comming his way and trying to tell him what to believe. After all it is all about believe. And if you believe that slaying everyone who does not think as you do will get you something, somewhere, sometime, then you are just a morron (in every religion). And if you believe everybody has to learn what you believe, well, then morron doesn't even cover it.

As for 9/11, Moonlandings or Bielefeld, there will always be a majority, a minority and the truth. What is what, everybody decides for themselves.

BTW: I am a self proclaimed possibilist. Believing in the possibility of everything. After all, it is much more likely that we all are a simulation instead is real. Or we might be plugged in the matrix, or in that drawer over there waits a midget with a flamethrower for you.
I later found out that there already is a name/religion which basicaly believes the same thing but has a funny name I can't remember, so I stick with what I came up with.

Happy Orbiting

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
(Granted, the creationism thing isn't a big problem in Britain at the moment, but that's not to say that if it does sneak in in America that it won't spread...)
I think that the teaching of creationism is already a serious problem in schools in the UK today (see e.g. http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2006/nov/27/controversiesinscience.religion, http://www.independent.co.uk/news/e...eationism-debate-moves-to-britain-478576.html, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7028639.stm). This may at least in part be due to the (government-supported) steady rise of "faith schools" (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6986398.stm) and a general rise in religious fundamentalism on all sides. And creationism is by no means marginal in general public opinion either (see for example the statistics at the end of http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4757357.stm)

So no reason to be complacent here in the UK ...

bujin

Reaction score
Agreed. It's sort-of expected that creationism in one form or another is going to be taught in a "faith school". I just hope that it can be kept out of the general public schools indefinitely.

From that last link,

But there is an increasingly vocal group who argue that it is no more than a theory, and should not be taught to our children as if it were scientific fact.

This "increasingly vocal group" should be beaten over the head with sticks until they learn the scientific definition of the term "theory" and shut up.

It's quite a worrying statistic that 39% of the population of Britain believe in creationism - but then I suppose that would probably include YECs and OECs. But for more than half of the population to not "believe" in evolution must surely show a serious problem for academic standards.

I saw a discussion between Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss a few weeks ago where they discussed briefly how science should be taught in school - specifically, the order in which it is taught. I don't recall ever learning about evolution in biology class in school. I found biology extremely boring and hated every class. It's only within the last few years when I've started reading up on the subject of evolution that I've begun to see just how fascinating it all is. Evolution underpins all of biology, and should be one of the first things that is taught. If that was the case, there probably wouldn't be so many people who are ignorant of the facts.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The only way, you can teach at a school in a state of religious freedom, is keeping true to a strict naturalism.
Problem is, this would mean taking a neutral point of view. When I look at the recent work of mister Dawkins, Scientists cannot really escape the accusation that their point of view isn't really neutral. The conflict has been polarised so much that it really gets difficult sharing a scientific perspective without hurting any feelings, because in the minds of most believers evolution is now viewed as another religious doctrine, not as science. An assumption that is not too far of when reading the aforementioned book and related works. I have yet to see a biology teacher (yes, it is taught in biology over here) that admits to his students that the theory of evolution is still in evolution and will probably still change alot in its details and has still alot of holes. Holes that will be filled over time, I'm confident, but still... It's not a neutral stance.

After reading some of Dawkins statement and related works (since the book was a bestseller there are allready some clones) you cannot help but notice that the Man is rather ignorant despite his inteligence. The result is that similiarly ignorant people on the other side now have their perfect bogeyman to drive their anti-science propaganda. I'm afraid there won't be an easy way out after such a flamewar. Especially not since the stances of BOTH parties have become esencially doctrinal.

Anyways, bujin, you bring up creationism, you get your debate... :cheers:

back to 9/11, I don't quite understand what the 9/11 denial actually is. I mean, it just happened, and an official proof that it did is that the world trade center is not standing anymore... It's nt like someone could come forth and just say "it didn't happen"... so I guess the debate more about who did it?

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A blog post I made on this subject a few weeks ago:

http://gregburch.net/burchismo.html

EVOLVING?

Some time back, I made note that Ben Stein was working on a Michael-Moore-style "documentary" about how "creation science" was being discriminated against in academia. The film's been released now, and it's as terrible as I expected it would be. There are a number of good web sites devoted to debunking the riches of ridiculousness in Stein's film. Here's a good one.

I have to admit that when I started reading about just how deeply wrong-headed Stein's film was, I spent a few days in a deep funk. How could someone as obviously intelligent and accomplished as Stein be so deeply stupid about something so obvious and important? If someone that smart can be so wrong about something as easy to grasp as biological evolution, how many other things do smart people get dead wrong? How can people be so stupid? These questions kept rolling around in my head, and I must say that the conclusions I came to aren't pretty. Our ability as a species to believe nonsense -- and to do it passionately -- seems to have almost no limit. Societal progress toward establishing some kind of floor on ignorance appears to be very fragile, indeed.

Naturally, I sought out my friends who are religious believers that I have respect for to talk about these things. How, I asked, does this happen? One thing these folks pointed out to me is that there is an on-going reaction against what is perceived as the "arrogance" of scientifically minded people. Now I've spent my whole life in "cross-cultural studies" -- most generally, the effort to try to understand how people who think in ways that are very different from my own see the world. The comment about "arrogance" really made me think: I don't perceive "evolutionists" as "arrogant:" To me, they're just right. There's a question of fact; there's a theory that can be tested; it's been tested tens of thousands of times; and it turns out to explain the phenomena we observe in the world every time. To me, at that point you accept the truth and move on. What's wrong with the people who don't see this? And how do they perceive the people who do see this as "arrogant?"

I think much of the explanation comes from the nature of faith. The creationists are religious. Religion is and must be a matter of faith. So these religious people have a large part of their world-view that is supported by something that is fundamentally different from the scientific world-view: They see the world as premised on the need to make a mental leap in which skepticism is not only not a virtue, but is an outright vice. Just as I have to exercise an explicit act of will to make myself understand this, the religious creationists would have to take an extra step to understand scientifically-minded people: They would have to come to the realization that the acceptance of biological evolution as a fact is arrived at by a completely different process in the mind than the acceptance of what fills the same place in their own minds. They don't do this. Instead, they map their own mode of thinking onto the evolutionists. Thus the criticism of evolution as a "dogma," and the condemnation of scientifically-minded people as "Enlightenment fundamentalists." They don't understand that the truth assertions of science are a qualitatively different sort of thing from the truth assertions of religion. They react to "evolutionists" as they would react to an intolerant religion other than their own.

So what Ben Stein is saying is "I have my faith and you have yours. You should let me preach my faith in the same way you preach yours and in the same places. Your opposition to this is intolerance." Would they feel the same way about flat-earthers? Would they make so-called "documentaries" about the "persecution" of "scientists" who want to teach their theory that the earth is flat? No, because they have accepted the actual truth of the assertion that the earth is spherical in a way that doesn't require faith -- but also that doesn't require them to recapitulate in their minds the process of scientific progress that led to the realization that the world isn't flat.

I'm sorry that religious people perceive scientifically-minded people as "arrogant" when it comes to the fact of biological evolution. But there's not much we can do about it. To us, rejection of biological evolution at this point is not really different from rejection of the fact that the earth is roughly spherical: If you don't get it, you're just not even in the game and there's nothing we can really do about it except to say that you need to go back to school.

bujin

Reaction score
The conflict has been polarised so much that it really gets difficult sharing a scientific perspective without hurting any feelings, because in the minds of most believers evolution is now viewed as another religious doctrine, not as science.

That is because they believe the religious propaganda. Evolution is most certainly not another religious doctrine.

What is the 9th Commandment again? You shall not bear false witness...?

Shame that so many ID/Creationism proponents ignore this one, isn't it?

I have yet to see a science teacher that admits to his students that the theory of evolution is still in evolution and will probably still change alot in its details and has still alot of holes. Holes that will be filled over time, I'm confident, but still... It's not a neutral stance.

This isn't a failure of evolution. It's perhaps a failure of science teaching on the whole, as what you say isn't unique to the theory of evolution.

There are holes in evolution, of course. But most of what is (or should be) taught is fact, not hypothesis. That we humans evolved from earlier forms of life on the planet is in no more debate than the idea that the earth is in orbit around the sun.

After reading some of Dawkins statement and related works (since the book was a bestseller there are allready some clones) you cannot help but notice that the Man is rather ignorant despite his inteligence. The result is that similiarly ignorant people on the other side now have their perfect bogeyman called to drive their anti-science propaganda. I'm afraid there won't be an easy way out after such a flamewar. Especially not since the stances of BOTH parties have become esencially doctrinal.

But Dawkins isn't the only person against creationism. And Dawkins is interested in what is true based on the available evidence, and from his point of view, the idea of God (and certainly the idea of the major monotheisms) is not true. No-one has ever come up with any form of evidence (that holds up to any form of scrutiny) that the doctrines of the various theistic religions are true. That's not really ignorance, IMO. It would be very easy for someone to say, "look, Prof. Dawkins, you're wrong. Here's the evidence as to why we think that God exists...".

So many people have tried, and every time, the arguments simply do not hold any water.

That is very different to the creationism argument, where you have people like Ken Ham, Kent Hovind, etc... who are wholly ignorant of the genuine science that has been done over the past 150 years on the subject of evolution. The difference here is that even informing Ham, Hovind, etc... so many times of where they are wrong, and pointing to the wealth of evidence in favour of evolution, they stick their fingers in their ears and shout "la la la, I can't hear you", then proceed to say the same things over and over again.

It's either profound ignorance of the facts, and idiocy on their parts as they cannot grasp the basics of evolution, or they are breaking the 9th Commandment because they know what it is science is saying, but they are spreading lies about it in order to fool people who don't know any better.

Anyways, bujin, you bring up creationism, you get your debate... :cheers:

Always good to have a debate! ;)

back to 9/11, I don't quite understand what the 9/11 denial actually is. I mean, it just happened, and an official proof that it did is that the world trade center is not standing anymore... It's nt like someone could come forth and just say "it didn't happen"... so I guess the debate more about who did it?

It's not whether 9/11 happened or not. It's who is responsible for it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
This "increasingly vocal group" should be beaten over the head with sticks until they learn the scientific definition of the term "theory" and shut up.

I think, this will not help them, until you threaten them to let them show you the flaws in the theory of gravity. How high the tallest building in the UK?

I saw a discussion between Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss a few weeks ago where they discussed briefly how science should be taught in school - specifically, the order in which it is taught. I don't recall ever learning about evolution in biology class in school. I found biology extremely boring and hated every class. It's only within the last few years when I've started reading up on the subject of evolution that I've begun to see just how fascinating it all is. Evolution underpins all of biology, and should be one of the first things that is taught. If that was the case, there probably wouldn't be so many people who are ignorant of the facts.

I even think, evolution, while abstract, is still one of the simpler things to teach in school, especially, since we now have tools with our computers which can visualize evolution very well. Does somebody remember SimLife?

You can even show evolution in the history of british motorcycles...

bujin

Reaction score
I think, this will not help them, until you threaten them to let them show you the flaws in the theory of gravity. How high the tallest building in the UK?

"I don't believe in gravity. The bible doesn't say anything about it..."

;)

I even think, evolution, while abstract, is still one of the simpler things to teach in school, especially, since we now have tools with our computers which can visualize evolution very well. Does somebody remember SimLife?

You can even show evolution in the history of british motorcycles...

The basic principle of evolution (by natural selection) is incredibly simple. So simple, in fact, that you wonder why it took until the 19th century for people to work it out... :rofl:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What is the 9th Commandment again? You shall not bear false witness...?

Shame that so many ID/Creationism proponents ignore this one, isn't it?

I salute you on this one :lol:

This isn't a failure of evolution. It's perhaps a failure of science teaching on the whole, as what you say isn't unique to the theory of evolution.

Of course not. But it's one of the things where the whole ostility emerges. And, it is not a neutral stance. Which is the major problem.

But Dawkins isn't the only person against creationism. And Dawkins is interested in what is true based on the available evidence, and from his point of view, the idea of God (and certainly the idea of the major monotheisms) is not true.

Of course he is not. He is just the most prominent at the moment, and life is a game of chess: you allways try to get the king down. Also, what I called ignorance is not his statement that there is no evidence of god... I am a believer, but have to agree to that, having spent a bit of time to search for naturalistic evidence and don't finding any.
What I call ignorance is his pretty blatant attack on religion in general, making it the bogeyman of history. Making Bogeymans is allmost allways a sign for a grudge (psychology is science too, by the way...), and grudges lead to ignorance towards otherwise obvious facts. Such as the historical fact that religion is not responsible for all the bad in the world.

Dawkins did not write his book for a scientific purpose. Instead he took science as a lever to launch his very own, and as i believe quite personal, attack on religion and christianity in particular. He played the emotional card, not the empiric one. And he got emotions back, not arguments. It's all a matter of action and reaction.

No-one has ever come up with any form of evidence

No, no one has... and it hurts me that so many of my brethren still don't understand the concept of a scientific proof. Because they still think they got one. But Dawkins actions broke any hope for a solution for this misery. Not his rethorics, not his science, not his proofs, but his attacks. It's alot harder learn from someone who lashes with a whip at you.

so many times of where they are wrong, and pointing to the wealth of evidence in favour of evolution, they stick their fingers in their ears and shout "la la la, I can't hear you", then proceed to say the same things over and over again.

I'll give you an insider information now: you hear the EXACT SAME argument over in the other camp. This could be a quote by allmost any pastor I know that tried to deal with scientists... ;)

The problem is, both sides have to learn to listen before they can talk, and maybe both would eventually come to the conclusion that they're not talking about the same thing. That's excluding fundamentialists of course, we'll allways have these. In that matter, all respects to Greg, who tries to understand what's going on in other peoples minds.

It's either profound ignorance of the facts, and idiocy on their parts as they cannot grasp the basics of evolution, or they are breaking the 9th Commandment because they know what it is science is saying, but they are spreading lies about it in order to fool people who don't know any better.

Again a sentence you hear at the christian front over and over again. Problem is, this is exactly what I mentioned before: Polarisation. Don't doubt that most of these people genuinely BELIEVE that what they believe is the truth. So it would be inapropriate to call them liars from an ethical point of view. While there is lots of ignorance, I seldom encountered idocity. They simply are not used to scientific thinking. It's not something that comes to you easily. Most associate science with logic, so if something is logical it is scientifical. The universe exists, so someone must have made it. There is an irrefutable logic behind this argument... there's just no science. And they don't get the difference. If you want to explain them that difference, it won't do any good to call them liars.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
I do not know if 911 happened as originally advertised or as conspiracy says.
But I know that everytime the president is losing popularity, his enemies strike or send a threat, and helps him to boost his image. Either the enemies are idiots or they are not really enemies or there is something else... That belongs to the hazy boundary of conspiracy theory, but let's see the implications.

How could they not be enemies? If a strike happens, that convinces public about the need of making war, and that means more profit for weapon manufacturers. So there is a strong economical incentive incentive to attack a developed country to convince population about the need of some government budget to make war, and then sell weapons and make profit.

If 911 was or was not as conspiracy theorists, I do not know. What I see is a dangerous incentive to weapons manufacturers and dealers that could be willing to support enemies of a country to sell weapons to that country and make profit, using taxpayers' money.

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If 911 was or was not as conspiracy theorists, I do not know. What I see is a dangerous incentive to weapons manufacturers and dealers that could be willing to support enemies of a country to sell weapons to that country and make profit, using taxpayers' money.

Pablo, you're a smart guy, but you're letting ideology get in the way of rational thought. There's a Latin term for the argument you are implying: cui bono -- who benefits? I'm a trial lawyer, I've been trained in rhetoric: How to use it and how to see it being used, and I know what's going on in what you've written. Cui bono is a rhetorical device, it's not evidence.

I'm not at all accusing you of trying to deceive by using this rhetorical device. Rather, I'm simply pointing out that you may have been deceived.

The evidence is overwhelming that the 911 attacks were the result of a plot by al Qaida that had been in the works for many years -- long before the hated George Bush was in power or had even thought about running for the presidency.

GB

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Most associate science with logic, so if something is logical it is scientifical. The universe exists, so someone must have made it. There is an irrefutable logic behind this argument... there's just no science. And they don't get the difference. If you want to explain them that difference, it won't do any good to call them liars.

Actually, it's quite easily refutable, once you identify the unstated premises in that argument. They are 1) agency and 2) the famous "uncaused cause" dilemma. The first is just anthropomorphism, and the second merely moves the issue of "cosmic causation" back one step to the question of "what (or who) caused god?"

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Pablo, you're a smart guy, but you're letting ideology get in the way of rational thought. There's a Latin term for the argument you are implying: cui bono -- who benefits? I'm a trial lawyer, I've been trained in rhetoric: How to use it and how to see it being used, and I know what's going on in what you've written. Cui bono is a rhetorical device, it's not evidence.
GB

I know it is not evidence. I do not pretend it to be evidence.

Economy rules and human behavior creates incentives.
And if there is an incentive, sooner or later there might be a chance that someone seize that chance.
So if 911 was or was not as conspiracy says, is not important to me, since those who died can't be returned to life.

What concerns me is that the incentive could be seized in the future.