General Question Adding rotating attachment points

stevcast

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have an idea that I want to try, but in order to do so, I need a number of attachment points along with their corresponding ships to rotate(think of a circular, rotating space station (e.g., Luna 1)with attachment points and ships rotating all in unison along the periphery of the station). What would the set up look like for these attachment points?
Would they(attachment points) have to have an animation component that would correspond to the rotation of the space station?

Thanks in advance...

stevcast

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have an idea that I want to try, but in order to do so, I need a number of attachment points along with their corresponding ships to rotate(think of a circular, rotating space station (e.g., Luna 1)with attachment points and ships rotating all in unison along the periphery of the station). What would the set up look like for these attachment points?
Would they(attachment points) have to have an animation component that would correspond to the rotation of the space station?

Thanks in advance...

stevcast
For something like that, wouldn't it be easier to just have the entire station rotating, rather than just parts of it animating a rotation?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's a tough nut, I can tell you (well, it depends how good you are in 3-d trigonometry. If matrix rotations are no problem for you it's relatively easy). Attachment points do not get rotated along with individual meshgroups, you have to rotate them manually. The attached vessel positions should get updated as soon as you modify the attachment point, so if if you rotate the attachment points they should rotate with them.

Or you could just wait for IMS to come out, which will support rotating centrifuges.

stevcast

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's a tough nut, I can tell you (well, it depends how good you are in 3-d trigonometry. If matrix rotations are no problem for you it's relatively easy). Attachment points do not get rotated along with individual meshgroups, you have to rotate them manually. The attached vessel positions should get updated as soon as you modify the attachment point, so if if you rotate the attachment points they should rotate with them.

Or you could just wait for IMS to come out, which will support rotating centrifuges.

Is there any idea when the IMS is due to be uploaded to OHM?...oops!!

Just read the entire thread,... some time in August! I'll try to be patient.. Thanks jedidia.

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
First release candidate will be available during August, if no one uncovers a completely astonishing bug that has slipped us by chances are good that it'll be on the hangar by the end of the same month.