Question Addon Developer "Job Description"

joertexas

Reaction score
I am working on a project that would benefit from virtual prototyping in Orbiter, and I don't have the programming skills to develop the needed addons. I have the models (and an excellent modeler), the scenarios I want to simulate, but not the programming part.

If I were to approach someone for help, what skills or experience would I ask for in developing Orbiter addons?

Thanks..

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I guess programming skills. Depending on what you want done. sc3/4 might be your ticket

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
sc3/4 might be your ticket

Given that SC3/4 is not beta compatible and vinka (again) went dark for 2 month, I would not give that advice.

As for job description: every programmer/software developer that has some C++ experience should suffice for the coding part IMHO. If he has Orbiter addon experience, this is a huge plus, of course. But if not, he should be able to pick the API up soon enough (say 1 month) to start working on even sophisticated addons.

If you are talking "job description", are you talking payment, too?

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If I were to approach someone for help, what skills or experience would I ask for in developing Orbiter addons?

You realize that all people with necessary skills are already on this forum, right?

Just put up your job ad here.

joertexas

Reaction score
Given that SC3/4 is not beta compatible and vinka (again) went dark for 2 month, I would not give that advice.

As for job description: every programmer/software developer that has some C++ experience should suffice for the coding part IMHO. If he has Orbiter addon experience, this is a huge plus, of course. But if not, he should be able to pick the API up soon enough (say 1 month) to start working on even sophisticated addons.

Well, right now it's just "two guys with an idea" that we've been working on for a few years now. We could come up with a modest budget, but we'd need to scope the project to know how many work hours would be needed.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
We could come up with a modest budget, but we'd need to scope the project to know how many work hours would be needed.

You see, if you'd just spill the beans we could give more specific comments. Here you will find many programmers that are willing to join an interesting addon project in their free time, but rest assured that nobody will do so as code monkey for mysterious "ideas". "Job description" suspiciously sounds like the later :lol:.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, and if the project sounds interesting, you'll get addon developers here willing to work for not a single penny as well. But you need to be clear about the project and what you want from the developers.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, right now it's just "two guys with an idea" that we've been working on for a few years now. We could come up with a modest budget, but we'd need to scope the project to know how many work hours would be needed.

Let me answer this for you. Number of work hours: LOTS.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
we'd need to scope the project to know how many work hours would be needed.

To answer that, we'd have to know what is asked ;)

Last edited:

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
To answer, that, we'd have to know what is asked ;)

what-the-customer-actually-wanted.jpg

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I guess programming skills. Depending on what you want done. sc3/4 might be your ticket

I would second that, if the limitations of the tool is acceptable.

And even if not, it's a good start for prototyping your prototype. You are not required to keep using SC/4 forever. ;-) (to tell you the true, I would advise to use SC4 for probing the mesh and the raw ideas, and when satisfied, consider porting it to a DLL module).

There's a "problem" on using developer's free-time - this is a scarce resource. I'm working on a vessel of mine for what... 9, 10 months for now. When all you can spare is twice hours a week (at best), the mythical man/month became a real mammoth sitting in your hall.

Another problem is the real-life itself (I'm talking meta-reality already? without beer?? :cheers:) . Last job I took was troubled, and I'd gone M.I.A for two months, what's a nuisance at best when you are part of a team while developing a vessel.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Heard from Vinka a week ago. SC5 WIP.

joertexas

Reaction score
You see, if you'd just spill the beans we could give more specific comments. Here you will find many programmers that are willing to join an interesting addon project in their free time, but rest assured that nobody will do so as code monkey for mysterious "ideas". "Job description" suspiciously sounds like the later :lol:.

Please forgive my reluctance to discuss what we are doing in detail - my partner and I have been burnt before by attempting to work with people we weren't able to meet in person. My intent is to find someone in central or north Texas, where we can meet face-to-face to discuss what we are working on in depth. Not that it's a state secret - we want to simulate and evaluate assembling a spacecraft in LEO - but we've learned the hard way to be circumspect about who we actually bring in to help.

If there is someone here who lives in the general area of central or north Texas, then please feel free to inquire further.

joertexas

Reaction score
You could do that using Space Station Building Blocks...

Orbiter has a wide variety of addons already made. You can find them at Orbit Hangar Mods. Here is a list of recommended addons for Orbiter 2010.

Wow, that's really nice! I know the tools and resources are out there - it'd be great to have someone who actually knows what they are doing to help set up our test scenarios.

joertexas

Reaction score
I suspected that much already. Good luck in your endeavor. Especially if it is the same stunt you tried to pull here before: http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=26780

I figured you'd get around to that sooner or later, which is why I only asked about qualifications for a developer, not for anyone on this forum to actually help. You (the forum's admin and a few regulars) have amply demonstrated that you aren't interested in anything except dumping on people you decide you don't like. And, of course, you haven't changed in the four years since that last thread.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I figured you'd get around to that sooner or later, which is why I only asked about qualifications for a developer, not for anyone on this forum to actually help. You (the forum's admin and a few regulars) have amply demonstrated that you aren't interested in anything except dumping on people you decide you don't like. And, of course, you haven't changed in the four years since that last thread.
:rofl:That's funny. I didn't even post back then. And I was the one giving you a first concrete answer on the question of "job description". But your play on having "a plan" and the overall secret agent theme made me wonder and eventually research your post history. Soon enough I found your scheme, but even then wished you luck. If everybody who doesn't like you is dumping on you this way, you sure are a very lucky person ;) .

But of course you have to personally attack me for this "revelation", and in a sweeping statement the admins and others, too. :facepalm:

It seems like you are the one who hasn't changed in the four years. You are still trying to get help for free for no information in exchange, and resort to attacks if people dare to question your motives. BTW: asking how to formulate a job description is also asking for help, you know?

I seriously hope nobody here falls for this "job".

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

I don't understand. Asking for help but not wanting help?

Well I live in North Texas but not great on scenario setting up. My flaw is being too helpful

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

As always, it depends on what you need. And that "what you need" should not only contain development time, but also design, quality assurance, management, etc.

Basically, you first of all have to decide what kind of job you need. Do you need a specific add-on, that is fulfilling your already known requirements and you don't need to change the requirements? Then you could look for a "contract to produce a work", like it is defined in German law and which also has equivalents in less civilized countries. There you only pay for the product and it is the responsibility of the development to achieve your goals. But you can't change your goals afterwards, you have to pay if it is according to the contract.

If you have no idea what you want and can't define requirements that are passing the SMART scheme, your only hope is hiring somebody to do a work for you, a usual employee, which you pay for his time and effort and not for his success, because you can't fulfil your contract obligations in a "contract to produce a work" then.

Generally, it is recommendable to do a mixture of both kinds of work. For the more creative work and for establishing concrete requirements, you employ somebody skilled. And for the known requirements with low technological risk, you offer a contract for creating this specific product and select the lowest bidder.

I am already employed, so the only way to hire me directly is to make me do it for free... which is extremely expensive, since you can't buy it. Of course you could ask my employer. But don't expect anything before 2017 right now.

Last edited: