GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Then you are strange..... :lol:

Indeed I am, but I've always preferred the taste of unsweetened coffee.

Caffeine doesn't have a tremendous effect on me since being a regular coffee drinker does build up something of a tolerance to it, but I've noted the stimulant effect when trying to wake up particularly early in the morning. I've never yet had any sort of stimulant response to the meagre amount of caffeine in Coca-Cola or non-drowsy antihistamines, and part of me marvels at those sensitive enough to caffeine to get one from so small an amount.

As for actual sleeplessness, the longest I spent was from 23:10 on a Saturday to about 00:45 on the following Tuesday, wherein I passed out after some rather extreme hallucinations. It is not an experience I would like to repeat, though the solid 23 hours of sleep I got afterwards were almost bliss. :p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And whats the max you have stayed up (most likley on this forum or playing orbiter( we've all done it:cheers:))

A bit more than 72 hours... I fell into my bed after 3 days...and it was in the army. Could have been less. I started with a Superbowl sunday, and instead of sleeping, I watched the superbowl, because I planned to see my bed at least on Tuesday morning, ideally already on Monday. On 3 am, we had departure for the division exercise. On monday noon, I got the order to do the doorman and telephone duty this first night together with a guy from another company. Who didn't arrive. While the machine rolled on finding the poor guy, I did the whole night alone, luckily nothing special happened. Tuesday was a repeat of the Monday, but with more joy, because I had the chance to see the other poor guy who did try to evade duty. But in my memory, from around 11 PM on Tuesday, everything went black, the next memory I had was waking up to the smell of wood and a small oil oven on Wednesday afternoon...somehow I managed to get hauled to the rest of my platoon and unroll my sleeping bag, before succumbing to sleep. As far as I had heard, I had been on duty until Wednesday morning, and was already as zombie when I was picked up. Around 10:30 AM, I finally found a few hours of sleep... strangely, I didn't need days of sleep in compensation then, I recovered from my sleep deficit after the two weeks in the heath... when I was home.

Was strange anyway... when I woke up, It was snowing, and the place was busy because people suddenly noticed that they had to train in tanks that had no functioning heaters at -15°C. On Thursday, after a few hours more sleep, I woke up to the strangely comforting vibrations of the artillery firing nearby (feels like a weak Earthquake)...and found much more snow out there.

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
23 hours on two different airplanes (I'm unable to sleep on moving airplanes, cars and buses), plus a whole day enjoying England under a warm sun. ~35 hours tops, and no need for more ;).

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've never yet had any sort of stimulant response to the meagre amount of caffeine in Coca-Cola or non-drowsy antihistamines, and part of me marvels at those sensitive enough to caffeine to get one from so small an amount.
Call me a marvel, then. :lol:

A glass of Coke and good company at 2300 can keep me up until nearly 0600 when I'd normally hit the sack at midnight...which I did last night.

adamb193

Lighting Geek
Reaction score
48 hours of working a show, that was fun. Nothing like working on I beams, 30 feet off the ground, carrying equipment hanging things generally monkeying around. Gets the adrenalin flowing. Like to avoid risking my neck, sleep is nice.

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
I really wonder what would really happen if this "Russian Sleep Experiment' really would be performed.

Anyway the most I've ever stayed awake wasn't too impressive. I mean hey, I'm tired enough in the morning, I don't need to be even sleepier.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My max was just under 80 hours, due to being sick and drinking gallons of tea that (I didn't know) had caffeine in it... the weirdest thing was that I didn't even feel tired and had to force myself to sleep...

count_volta

Ukranian space nut
Reaction score
The longest I have ever gone is only 24 hours. I do this, and then the next day I drop dead at about 3pm and alarm clocks have no effect on me. In Engineering school you don't sleep a lot. I would rather not sleep because I'm trying to land on Mars, than because I'm solving some complex integral that goes to infinity.

Axertan

Reaction score
My record is something around 60 hours. First 24 hours were fine. Second night awake was quite challenging, without all the tea and cola I would have fell asleep on the keyboard. Next day the LAN party ended. After regular ammount of sleep it was all fine.
Man, I must be an addict. :lol:

Solar424

Reaction score
My record is a comparatively small 20 hours. I had to get up at 5:30, but woke up at 4:30 and didn't fall back to sleep. After going west across 3 time zones, I finally went to sleep at 12:30 AM in the time zone I left.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Mine is really low,probably 18 hours. I struggle to sleep on a daily basis because I'm on ADHD medication. How I can't wait to get off of it during Christmas break.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
24 hours is my record. I worked three night shifts per week (2200 to 0600), so it really wasn't worth changing my biological clock. I just stayed awake the next day and went to bed early, unless I had a night shift the very next night. Those were interesting days.

Long periods of severe insomina can result in paranoid schizophrenia. If I recall correctly, it has something to do with dreaming when awake.

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
a couple friends of mine got some "survival kit" caffeine stimulant tablets... needless to say the contests began. we ran out after 30 hours but didnt have much trouble staying awake. i took second place at 77 hours and 23 minutes with first going to my friend who fell asleep 4 mins later when he turned off the clock and hit the pillow lol

slept for about 16 hours and felt amazing when i woke up. i dont plan on doing that again anytime soon though.