General Question Are virtual space agencies still out and about?

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
Hey guys, since i've been gone for i can't remember i've sort of fallen out of touch with everything orbiter.
So my basic question is are virtual space agencys still around?
Also try not to make this a recruitment drive thread:facepalm:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There are plenty. Three sprang up in the past month, two this week. ORIon, Cavradyne and FSATGMADOE. They are all private, one-man affairs, though. It seems that if they get any bigger than that they crash and explode.

Alexw95

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Me and Fireballs had one ready to go at one point but he had other prioitys and it kind of fell apart it might go again one day though...

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Me and Fireballs had one ready to go at one point but he had other prioitys and it kind of fell apart it might go again one day though...

Yea I was gonna mention this, but didn't really see a point. If for sone reason you are curious as to how it worked, you can view my blogs. It highlights some of the problems with VSAs, and probably why you don't see many multi-manned ones.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Seriously? - http://www.orbiter-forum.com/search.php?searchid=969800

The short answer, no. In all the time I've been playing Orbiter, I've never seen one successfully get off the ground.

:hesaid:. The single person private VSA seems to work well (Gary's ISA, for example, and my own as-yet-unnamed one) because when you work on your own in a VSA you can run things at your own pace and drop it if you become otherwise busy etc. As soon as it becomes a public thing it seems destined for failure, I'm afraid.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
:hesaid:. The single person private VSA seems to work well (Gary's ISA, for example, and my own as-yet-unnamed one) because when you work on your own in a VSA you can run things at your own pace and drop it if you become otherwise busy etc. As soon as it becomes a public thing it seems destined for failure, I'm afraid.

Classic example - with me, I always get busy with work at the start of November and it tends to go on until early December so I've not touched ISA or Orbiter for a month. If this was a public accessible VSA people would be getting upset but because it's a one man band no one is nagging at me for updates.

If people were nagging I'd start to wonder if it was worth it.

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Xyon said:
As soon as it becomes a public thing it seems destined for failure, I'm afraid.
Well, you can do things the Soviet way and keep things secret until you have a success... :shifty:
And if not, say it was a success...

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, you can do things the Soviet way and keep things secret until you have a success... :shifty:
And if not, say it was a success...
Until you get to the bit where you're starting to think the N-1 is a good idea... :shifty:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Always wanted to start my own one-man VSA, just don't have the time to commit to it.

And the N-1 was a success, wasn't it? A successful test of the self destruct mechanism designed to keep cosmonauts from defecting...yes, that's what it was.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I think Revio might still be the only mission focused "VSA" that's out there and still active.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I rather enjoyed the Orbiter-Forum Space Station missions. Was fun to see it grow as other members contributed flights and took up hardware.

squeaky024

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
I think that the problem is that it is a lot of effort to (edit: plan and manage a calendar for mission times, launches, and people who are responsible for what part) load up a scenario, do a flight and accomplish whatever it is that you need to do, save and shut down orbiter, and then upload your scenario file to other person somehow. It is a lot of effort to just get one thing done so unless there is some kind of stable multiplayer for orbiter I doubt VSA's will be able to get up and running effectively. And then of course for those of us (including me) who are occupied with school, work, errands, etc., will probably loose interest because of these things.

There's my 2 cents worth..

Last edited:

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
I think that the problem is that it is a lot of effort to (edit: plan and manage a calendar for mission times, launches, and people who are responsible for what part) load up a scenario, do a flight and accomplish whatever it is that you need to do, save and shut down orbiter, and then upload your scenario file to other person somehow. It is a lot of effort to just get one thing done so unless there is some kind of stable multiplayer for orbiter I doubt VSA's will be able to get up and running effectively. And then of course for those of us (including me) who are occupied with school, work, errands, etc., will probably loose interest because of these things.

There's my 2 cents worth..

Thats part of it, but moreso setting up the logistics. Once you have a relatively automated system in place, you don't constantly need to check every file, upload every scenario etc. Anyone attempting a VSA should strie for a automated system- its the only feasible way. I honestly don't see how multiplayer would solve that problem, but it doesn't matter. Orbiter just isn't a good platform for VSAs.