Spacecraft Arrow Freighter for Orbiter2016. Merry Christmas!

Cougar

Reaction score
Hip hip hooray!!!
Fantastic - Fantastic - Fantastic!
Finally we got the ARROW back!
Thank you so much, Dimitris!
Everything is working fine so far.
I tested crew egress and ingress, cargo pick up and deployment, landing and departing on moon.
All MFDs are working fine.
Radio chatter is not implemented so far, like the announcement on the radio says.
Maybe there is the possibility to implement a button/switch to turn on/off the hover engines in one of the next updates. But this is just a personal problem related to my Thrustmaster Flightstick.

Best regards
Cougar

pushkin

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Ok, so I have the latest version with crew and cargo ready.
I did some testing on my own, so I think we can go ahead with a test release.

Requirenents:
Step 1: Clean Orbiter2016 installation with no addons installed. (I don't want to have to chase any bugs that may be caused by other addons).
Step 2: Download and install the D3D9 client from here: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/resources/d3d9-for-orbiter-2016.5493/
Step 3: Download and install the UCGO 3.0 + UMmu 3.0 - 2014 edition addon from Dan's Orbiter Page: http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/index.php?page=download
Step 4: Download and install the OrbiterSound 5.0 for Orbiter 2016 addon from the same page.
Step 5: Download and install the GeneralVehicle addon from here: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/resources/generalvehicle.3158/
Step 6: Download and install the XRSound Official 2.0 addon from here: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/resources/xrsound-official.5455/
Step 7: Download and install the Sound Bridge OS addon from here: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/resources/sound-bridge-os.1377/
Step 8: Download and install the XR2 Official 1.10 addon from here: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/resources/xr2-official.5457/

Activate BOTH OrbiterSound5.0 and XRSound in the modules tab.
Once you have these requirements, download and install the latest Arrow from here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/y6csp2itluwaarg/Arrow_10032023.zip/file

Arrow keys:
Gears - G
Bay door - B
Gravity Wheel - W
Rover Lift - U
Crew Lift - C
HUD toggle - keyboard 0
Attach/detach Azure Rover - J
Move to front windows - ALT-CTRL-UP_ARROW
Return to default position - ALT-CTRL-DOWN_ARROW
Move to left display - ALT-CTRL-LEFT_ARROW
Move to right display - ALT-CTRL-RIGHT_ARROW
Go to captain's cabin - CTRL-DOWN_ARROW
Return from captain's cabin to VC - CTRL-UP_ARROW

All the VC buttons are self-explanatory. The ones not working return a "Sorry, this feature is not available at the moment" message.
You can click on the book in the VC to change its cover.

The Arrow needs at least one crew member to operate it. You will get a message to press the ADD button in the Crew section of the right display panel (VC).
Enter a number following the prompt of the dialog box. You can select a full random crew by entering 43. Enter -1 to remove all crew.
Press ADD again to confirm your choice.

Azure Rover buttons:
Move Forward - Numpad 8
Turn Left - Numpad 4
Turn Right - Numpad 6
Brake/Stop - Numpad 2
Reverse - CTRL-Numpad 2
Attach/detach to/from Rover Lift - J (need to be within 10 meters from the lift).
Operate the Rover Lift - Enter (need to be already attached to it).
EVA crew member - CTRL-E (at least one crew member needs to have already entered the Rover).

MMU buttons:
(landed/on ground)
Move Forward - UP_ARROW
Turn Left - LEFT_ARROW
Turn Right - RIGHT_ARROW
Brake/Stop - DOWN_ARROW
Move Backward- CTRL-DOWN_ARROW
The autopilots cannot be engaged

(in flight)
Normal use of RCS Thrusters and orientation autopilots
With a turbopack attached you can use the default hover thrust controls

(both landed and in flight)
Attach/detach cargo - C
Pack/Unpack cargo - Enter (the same key will turn on/off an unpacked cargo light).
Attach/detach Turbopack - G
Toggle helmet - F --attention, results in death if you are in an airless environment.
Toggle suit light - PAGE_UP
Enter docking port/airlock - CTRL-E

The MMu will die if:
You are in an airless environment without a helmet (androids excluded [Bishop or Mr Data]).
After a hard surface impact (vertical speed more than 10 meters/sec).

XR2 Crew:
You need to run the crew.lua script. You can do that in the following ways:
1. By editing a scenario file:
Open a scenario file with a text editor and enter the line "Script crew" (without the quotes) in the BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT - END_ENVIRONMENT section.
Example:
BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT
System Sol
Date MJD 59952.418220
Script crew
Help CurrentState_img
END_ENVIRONMENT
Save and exit. The script will run as soon as you launch that scenario.

2. From the Lua Console window:
Activate the LuaConsole in the modules tab. In game, access it by pressing the function button in the top menu bar and select Lua Console Window in the menu popup.
Once it's open, type run('crew') and press enter. (with the quotes and parentheses).

3. From LuaMFD:
Activate LuaMFD in the modules tab. In game, open an MFD and select Terminal MFD. Press the INP button, type run('crew') and press enter. (with the quotes and parentheses).

Once the script is running, you can do the following when the focus vessel is an XR2:
Press Backspace to toggle the crew helmets.
Press CTRL-E to access the crew menu (The nose cone and the outer airlock door need to be open. You get an audio msg if they are not).
Follow the on screen instructions to add/remove/EVA/Ingress etc.

Other notes:
Breathable areas:
The cargo "base" modules have breathable areas, so you can remove the helmet if you are inside an inflated one. If you go out without your helmet you will die.
Making a vessel "accept" crew.
You can add the line "MaxCrew = x" in the config file of any vessel with a docking port. x = an integer from 1 to 42. i.e: MaxCrew = 5
This will turn the vessel into one that can "accept" crew that tries to enter it by pressing CTRL-E.
You can even do this while the scenario is running.
EVAs ("exiting" from a vessel) for vessels other than the Arrow, XR2 and Azure rover have not been implemented yet.

There are a few more things that I want to add to the Arrow, but for now I am a bit burned out developing it, so I'll take a little break. If the testing phase goes ok, without any major bugs, I'll release the source code for everything in the coming weeks.
Have fun, happy testing.
Yes! I will do some testing over the week. Thanks again for all your hard work providing us with this wonderful vessel again!

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It really looks very promising!
despite a may have clicked the wrong button at some point => oops.png => sorry for that;

more seriously, I accidentally (again!) pressed Ctrl+E from the VC while displaying the crew list and it started scientillating like hell... until I clicked on something and then it calmed down.

Also I remember there was a way to go to various locations of the Arrow Freighter or to display camera views from various locations... was that some dream?

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
It really looks very promising!
despite a may have clicked the wrong button at some point => View attachment 32604 => sorry for that;

more seriously, I accidentally (again!) pressed Ctrl+E from the VC while displaying the crew list and it started scientillating like hell... until I clicked on something and then it calmed down.

Also I remember there was a way to go to various locations of the Arrow Freighter or to display camera views from various locations... was that some dream?
Poor Uhura! You'd think that Starfleet taught her not to remove her helmet in a vacuum.

Thanks for the bug report! :hailprobe: Was able to recreate it, by pressing CTRL-E when a display other than the crew display is active on the right panel. Should be an easy fix, I will include it in the next update.

You can see different views of the Arrow, using the Generic Camera MFD that comes with the D3D9 client. Press NA, PA, ND, PD, to see the view from the various attachment points and docking ports. If you are talking about this:
Unfortunately this was on DanSteph's unreleased Arrow version that we never got. Not included in this version and to be honest, I don't plan on implementing it in the near future.

Last edited:

WingC3

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Does this mean that all the associated EVA and turbopack functions are also restored for the XR2, or only for the Arrow? (i.e can one change the crew count on the XR2 and therefore the associated oxygen usage, or is it still maxed out at 14?)

Also, is there an upgrade path from previous versions? (Just unzip as usual and overwrite?) I'm mid-mission with the previous version and would love to not need to start all over.

Last edited:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Does this mean that all the associated EVA and turbopack functions are also restored for the XR2, or only for the Arrow? (i.e can one change the crew count on the XR2 and therefore the associated oxygen usage, or is it still maxed out at 14?)

Also, is there an upgrade path from previous versions? (Just unzip as usual and overwrite?) I'm mid-mission with the previous version and would love to not need to start all over.
The XR2 crew is run by a lua script. The crew's mass is added to the ship but nothing else. (o2 usage, crew count and EVA button's (non)fuctioning on the panel remain as they are.

The changes in this version are many and were made over a long period, so I can't guarantee that previous version scenarios will run. It should be ok, because the file structure is the same, but keep a backup just to be safe. Please keep in mind that this is a test release, for finding and correcting any major bugs that may exist.

hhaonn

Reaction score
I get this, when I click on "MFD" Button.

Attachments

• Arrow bug.jpg
    Arrow bug.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 10

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I get this, when I click on "MFD" Button.
Ok, that's a new one. You need to give me a few more details to go on. Hopefully, you've followed the instructions on post #40 and you are trying this out on a clean Orbiter installation with no other addons installed, other than the prerequisites.
Do the other displays work? (Left panel MFDs, Central panel, Right panel -CREW -SYST -CARG -HELP) ?
Can you record a video and give me a procedure on how to replicate what you are seeing?
Did you have this problem with the previous version?

NorbertWoller

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I have the same Problem!
I installed it as you suggested. A clean Orbiter 2016, all addons first, then Arrow. Everything works perfectly, except the right side in MFD mode. CREW -SYST -CARG -HELP are working well. In the previous version I didn't have this problem.
Apart from this problem, this is an outstanding work by you Dimitris. Thanks alot!

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the report guys! I'll check and post a patch to test soon.

NorbertWoller

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Here's a little Clip and a screenshot of the Lunchpad Modules.

Attachments

• Arrow MFD Problem.zip
    28.5 MB · Views: 7
  • Lunchpad Modules.jpg
    Lunchpad Modules.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 14

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks! That was very helpful! Please unzip this patch in your Orbiter root directory, give it a try and let me know.
This should fix both bugs reported so far (post #44 by Boxx [right display going haywire by pressing CTRL-E when a display other than the crew display is active on the right panel] and the one reported by hhaon and ACH0002 on posts #48 & #50).

Attachments

• Patch01.zip
    367.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

NorbertWoller

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks! That was very helpful! Please unzip this patch in your Orbiter root directory, give it a try and let me know.
This should fix both bugs reported so far (post #44 by Boxx [right display going haywire by pressing CTRL-E when a display other than the crew display is active on the right panel] and the one reported by hhaon and ACH0002 on posts #48 & #50).
Wow, that was fast. And now it works perfectly. Thank you again for this great work.

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Same for me: problem solved ;) I also noted the other bug and thought it was a temporary limitation :aga: ... fixed by me too. Thanks for the videos as well, I am considering an update / re-use of the generic camera MFD.

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Suggestion: would it be that difficult to use roof screens as supplemental MFDs? (e.g. for multiple MFD cameras)

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I also noted there is an optical aberration with the HUD: for instance, if you align your velocity vector on a distant planet (with that planet as the ref frame in the HUD, of course), then if you turn the vessel (with RCS), not changing the velocity vector, the HUD mis-aligns the velocity vector and the planet. Turn a little to the left and a little to the right, to understand what I mean... Meaning that the HUD is useless as a piloting support (or should be located much closer to the pilot's eyes?...).

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Suggestion: would it be that difficult to use roof screens as supplemental MFDs? (e.g. for multiple MFD cameras)
Yeah, I've thought about that too. Switchable camera views on the roof-screens would definitely look cool and also have ingame functionality (instead of having to take up space on the ship's actual MFDs). Perhaps not going through the MFD route, but making them native to the Arrow. I'll look into the Camera MFD code and see if I can adjust it, but it's going to take me a while.

I also noted there is an optical aberration with the HUD: for instance, if you align your velocity vector on a distant planet (with that planet as the ref frame in the HUD, of course), then if you turn the vessel (with RCS), not changing the velocity vector, the HUD mis-aligns the velocity vector and the planet. Turn a little to the left and a little to the right, to understand what I mean... Meaning that the HUD is useless as a piloting support (or should be located much closer to the pilot's eyes?...).
The HUD's distance from the default position is the culprit for the behavior you mention. But to my knowledge that's how it also behaved in the 2010 version and I don't want to change anything in Dan's original mesh, because I can't change and redistribute any of the original files. (Though now that I think about it, I could insert another mesh with a HUD closer to the viewport and disable the one in Dan's mesh). I'll give it a shot and see if it looks better.

drgullen

Reaction score
Hi, first off Dmitri, thank you so much for giving us a 2016 Arrow! I was hoping this would happen and I am loving it so far, but do have one question.

I've just read through this whole thread and didn't see any reference to this, so if I missed it, forgive me. I just tried to use the Autoland feature in the Arrow, attempting to land on DanSteph's OrcusPatera add-on. I believe I did everything right, but nothing happened. I believe I have the add-on installed correctly, I see the config files in /Config/Mars/Base and the VOR for the pad frequency lit up when I got within 1,500km.

I used BaseSyncMFD to get myself lined up with the base. When I was on the opposite side of Mars from the base, I lowered my PeA to 15k (in the documentation, it says to engage Autoland between 10k and 25k altitude and within 1,000km of the base, which is what I did). I tuned my NAV frequency to 127.8 which is supposed to be the VOR for PAD1 on OrcusPatera and it has a 1,500km range. I was level with the horizon and was about 650km distance and at about 20-22km altitude when I clicked the Autoland button. The center display panel lit up and showed that Autoland was active. It also showed my vertical speed, which at that point was about -30 m/s. But nothing happened. I flew directly over the base and no engines engaged to slow me/drop me down to the pad.

So either I did something stupid or this doesn't work on Orbiter 2016 (or both maybe lol)? Anyone know what I did wrong or what the issue is?

EDIT: I might have just answered my own question. I just saw a video you did where you land the Arrow at New Rome and you're using PursuitMFD and something called Base Land Autopilot which I've never used before, so I'm guessing Autoland is not implemented in the actual Arrow yet then?