Idea Arrow Freighter Reentry Vehicle

rct3master44

Reaction score
Hello there,I was just thinking of how the Arrow Freighter can't perform reentry,so I thought "If an Arrow Freighter can't perform reentry then how about an ummu compatible reentry vehicle for the crew of the Arrow can land down on Earth and Mars with a cargo drop vehicle so the cargo can come down to the surface also.
:hailprobe:

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's called a DGIV. Available in stores now. :)

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
It's called a DGIV. Available in stores now. :)

Yup. That's the whole point of the docking port in the belly. It's also possible to land the Arrow on the moon, unload and load up an XR-5 which is exactly what my next lunar run is all about.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Actually I've been tinkering with a mesh for a lander for airless bodies. That way you don't have to land the whole ship, but restock it in orbit.

Ark

Reaction score
Yeah, there's a whole laundry list of reentry-capable vehicles that can fit in the bay. That's kind of the point.

spacemonkey81

lost in space
Reaction score
does anyone know if there's a better version of the arrow yet? i really like the concept only things like the retro thrusters and gear coming out of nowhere really bugs me...
and has anyone found a way around the orbiter bug of not beeing able to land with a docked vessel attached?
ive been away from orbiter for a while so im not really up-to-date anymore...

never mind...i should have read a little further throug the topics instead of posting questions right away...
just found the topic on the new arrow...

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Check out the thread that the Iron Hill guys have got going. They've developed a collar that is attached to the Arrow, this allows for a work-around (vessel isn't docked, it's attached). Check it out and it'll make more sense.

There is a beta that should be wrapping up soon for the Arrow, there is a bit more work to do (from what I gather), but it's in the final stages. Keep in mind that Dan is pretty much a pro at this, and he'll release no add-on before it's ready (and it'll be ready when he says it's ready, no amount of begging, bribery or otherwise cajoling will make it happen any sooner). There is whole development thread for it here...http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=27653

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
...and has anyone found a way around the orbiter bug of not beeing able to land with a docked vessel attached? I've been away from orbiter for a while so I'm not really up-to-date anymore...

http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=25408&highlight=news

Martin's working on it! (about half way through there's a video of docking landed).

Re. reentering with an Arrow, I often imagined the Arrow could have an emergency separation procedure, in the event of the whole ship having to be scuttled:
picture.php

(From a picture off vchamp's website)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Re. reentering with an Arrow, I often imagined the Arrow could have an emergency separation procedure, in the event of the whole ship having to be scuttled:

I would just use the forward section including the "wings" there. It is already very close to a good aerodynamic shape and would only need an emergency propulsion system for getting pushed away (too steep reentry) or towards (miss or too shallow reentry) a planet.

also, you could then use the main GNC systems of the arrow including the current navigation data, which would explain why you have no state vector transfer, activation and navigation phases after separation. :lol:

Proximus

Reaction score
I was considering using one of the multiple docking ports on the new arrow as a home for solarliner's pb shuttle mk2. Its small, unobtrusive and could be used as a life boat or rescue vehicle.

I don't like the idea of endangering the arrow and all of her crew if say her DGIV is disabled on the surface of a planet or moon.

I find it a real handful to land an arrow without the aid of a autopilot xpdr beacon, and you can be sure your stranded crew forgot to bring one! :facepalm:

Really like the sound of that emergency separation procedure!

Last edited:

rct3master44

Reaction score
But what if there is no DGIV or someting and the arrow is about to crash into Earth or Mars?!?!The entire crew would be doomed.
The return vehicle could save the crew,rescue another crew,and land at a landing pad at Kennedy Space Center.That's why I had the idea come from too!!!:dry:

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Make an inflatable paracone as a UCGO container. :)

You only need a few crates if it can carry a 5 man crew.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
But what if there is no DGIV or someting and the arrow is about to crash into Earth or Mars?!?!The entire crew would be doomed.

If there is no DGIV or XR-2 docked then I'd expect that there would be various procedures to stop someone flying the arrow into a planet. Besides, if the crew are daft enough to crash the arrow I'm not sure I'd want them back. :lol:

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
If there is no DGIV or XR-2 docked then I'd expect that there would be various procedures to stop someone flying the arrow into a planet. Besides, if the crew are daft enough to crash the arrow I'm not sure I'd want them back. :lol:

Agreed.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. :lol:

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
Harsh judgement lol.

It seems that what the op really wants is a simple and permanent lifeboat, for only that purpose, not for general ops. A bit like a Soyuz capsule on the iss. I don't think that's such a bad idea. A small cone reentry vehicle with enough engine power to do a deorbit burn would be cool. That said, unless you are orbiting earth, this would serve no useful purpose beyond delaying death. A better alternative is probably to have 2 dg class vessels docked, and only ever send one out at a time. That way you always have a lifeboat with some capability to get closer to home.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Fully agreed there WHAP. Only having one docking port is a bit of a bugbear of mine. The scenario I was thinking of is more the other way around. What if a crew gets stranded on Mars because of a DG failure? Unless supplies are dropped down to them to fix the DG they have no way home. Not a good place to be.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The DGIV with full fuel and life support supplies is already more than adequate as a lifeboat because it can handle an Earth-Jupiter trip, although I guess cabin fever would have the crew go Evil Dead on each other in less than a week.
Having the forward section detaching in an Eagle/Event Horizon way would be cool., however. It would make for some interesting atmospheric flight profile for sure.

Scattykat

Reaction score
The Arrow Freighter has a max crew complement of 20. the DGIV can take 4, the XR2 14 and XR5 18.

Me thinks we need a bigger lifeboat :)