Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
But I thought I could try to ask at least :rolleyes:

No worry ;)
I have of course plenty of ideas but I think for this release I'll only add a very few (for example, cargo consumption) . Too long time on Orbiter again this year. :lol:

I'm busy yet with the beta test of Orcus Patera, all is going well, I bet you'll love this addon !
Release in a few days

Orcus2013-11-30_065640.jpg

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Idea for UCGO - can polygon limit on cars be removed (this warning string is quite iritating)

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Idea for UCGO - can polygon limit on cars be removed (this warning string is quite iritating)

Or at least have the warning up for a few seconds rather than all the time. Not only does it hijack other uses for the debug string it's annoying when nothing can be done because I've done something like make another mesh a UCGO car.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Or at least have the warning up for a few seconds rather than all the time. Not only does it hijack other uses for the debug string it's annoying when nothing can be done because I've done something like make another mesh a UCGO car.

I agree I think that message should go away or limited. I have had to build a whole vessel just to get around it.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
I agree I think that message should go away or limited. I have had to build a whole vessel just to get around it.

I'll do something like a parameter to add in config so the author can get ride of this message.

But there is a reason: the cars are secondary object and a badly designed mesh can kill the framerate on some machines. Also some modellers don't have any clue how to optimise reasonably a mesh. So instead of learning how because of limitation they will tend to never care about and release meshes that aren't designed for real time rendering.

It's not that complicated, don't multiply the separated object with the same material, don't multiply the materials (use bigger textures) and of course don't use mesh done for CGI for real time rendering.
Here a tutorial: http://www.dansteph.com/publie/tutorial/Texturing.html

So, what about a parameter like:

IM_A_BAD_MODELLER_BUT_I_DONT_CARE_PLEASE_HIDE_THE_MESSAGE = true; :lol:

Release of Orcus Patera is planned for tomorrow, tuesday :)

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

... And 640 KB is all memory you need.

Also, calling Loru a bad modeller would be a petty insult IMHO.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
On a side note: one of the author was annoyed because of the upload limitation of 160MB on the pappy's hangar. He had 170MB of material for the DX9 Shuttle Fleet.
http://francophone.dansteph.com/?page=addon&id=161

After investigation he was able to reduce the size to 60MB without any loss of quality, he did forget one step and the textures would have been dramatic for FPS.

That's the advantage of the limitations.
(Everyone should learn 3d modeling as me on machine with 64k memory ;) )

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

... And 640 KB is all memory you need.
Also, calling Loru a bad modeller would be a petty insult IMHO.

It's not the artist part that cause problem... I tend to think that a great artist doesn't render all the respect
due to his work when he release something that is a framerate killer (while some simple optimisation would have made it framerate friendly)
and I helped a lot of them with many explanations and docs during years. The UCGO doc contain also a part about optimizing cars models.

but I can change the parameter to

IM_A_GREAT_ARTIST_BUT_DONT_KNOW_HOW_TO OPTIMISE_FOR_REAL_TIME_RENDERING.... etc. etc. :lol:

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
So, what about a parameter like:

That's a little unfair if all someone wants to do is take an existing mesh and convert it into a UCGO car. Something that is already on OH. Frame rates are also PC dependent so add a warning by all means but please allow us to remove it/accept it/ignore it.

Pablo49

Reaction score
WE_DO_NOT_USE_1980_COMPUTERS_FOR_VIDEO_GAMES_ANYMORE_CAN_WE_STOP_IMPOSING_ARBITRARY_LIMITS_ON_EVERYTHING_A_DEVELOPER_HAS_ACCESS_TO_JUST_BECAUSE_IT_FEELS_GOOD = YES_PLEASE_THANKS

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's not the artist part that cause problem... The UCGO doc contain also a part about optimizing cars models.

but I can change the parameter to

IM_A_GREAT_ARTIST_BUT_DONT_KNOW_HOW_TO_OPTIMISE_FOR_REAL_TIME_RENDERING.... etc. etc. :lol:

So, you know how to optimize... like...you know....your algorithms? :tiphat:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
It's not "Arbitrary limit"
It's not for 1980 computer
UCGO is a great help for authors, I spend hundred hours for that including the doc for simple optimisation.

Go back and read & understand my messages before trolling.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
UCGO is a great help for authors, I spend hundred hours for that including the doc for simple optimisation.

Understood. But for those of us who want to take a mesh and convert it into a UCGO car there is no way we have of optimising an MSH file when we don't have access to the original material.

For example, I took [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1328"]Shuttle Crawler Rollout ver9[/ame] and converted it to be a UCGO car so I could have some cool tracking shots of the themis on a crawler heading to the launch tower. No surprise that the mesh wasn't optimised but there wasn't anything I could do about that and I fully accepted the hit on frame rates.

UCGO is wonderful for allowing such messing around and it's not our fault if we use it to experiment on existing meshes :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's not "Arbitrary limit"
It's not for 1980 computer

Go back and read & understand my messages before trolling.

Call it trolling - I call it "Reminding you, that Loru has more experience in professional modelling of 3D objects, including optimization for games, than you have in software development, so please consider this tiny detail for a short minute before calling him a poor artist or incompetent for his reasonable request."

Disclaimer: No, I can't understand you.

Pablo49

Reaction score
Not arbitrary, got it. I forgot there was something at the hardware level that stopped you from having over 6000 polygons.

BUT! If a developer makes a addon that doesn't run well for some users, it is that dev's problem, not yours. I get the covering your own bases thing, not wanting it to look like UCGO is causing a possible performance issue. If a developer wishes to make a extra high quality mesh for those who have a computer to run it, it should be allowed fully, and without vitriolic remarks to their skill. Aiming for the lowest common denominator innovation. Addons that don't run well will get feedback asking for improvements. Isn't the right way to teach optimization.

Let a developer do whatever is possible with the framework you give them.

YES_WE_KINDA_DO_THAT_ITS_CALLED_RETROGAMING_NOW_WHY_ARE_WE_TALKING_LIKE _DALEKS_EXTERMINATE_EXTERMINATE_EXTERMINATE=TRUE
JEEZ, SORRY DAD. I'LL GIVE YOU BACK YOUR RUSH ALBUM, TOO.

Last edited:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Call it trolling - I call it "Reminding you, that Loru has more experience in professional modelling of 3D objects, including optimization for games, than you have in software development, so please consider this tiny detail for a short minute before calling him a poor artist or incompetent for his reasonable request."

EDIT: I never called Lorus anything like that read again my first message, the concern what with "modellers
that don't know how to optimize a meshes" (noobs) and the limit was made so they can read the doc
and have a chance to learn. The joke was well, maybe a bad a joke for this forum (it seem) but without any
bad intentions. I heven didn't notice it was lorus that made the request so you completely missed all the points.

It's you that transform that in bad personal flameware making Lorus feel insulted calling him with name
like "incompetent" or "poor artiste" and insulting me by the same occasion for absolutely nothing but
to satisfy your aggressiveness. For your records I'm programmer in my own company since 8 years.

And the "reasonable request" was satisfied at the first line of my reply.

That's a little unfair if all someone wants to do is take an existing mesh and convert it into a UCGO car. Something that is already on OH. Frame rates are also PC dependent so add a warning by all means but please allow us to remove it/accept it/ignore it.

Yep, this is why it has a big smiley after it and I heard you, I'll add a parameter. My explanations behind the joke and my intentions are clear and worthy, I have nothing to add or remove to it.

What a serious flameware, did something bad happened on this community ?

Last edited:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com

And you are worrying that a simple joke with a big smiley can insult peoples while you are bashing me seriously like that :lol:

I didn't call it a "poor artist" go learn to read and chill out a bit before you make every valuable author flee the community.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And you are worrying that a simple joke with a big smiley can insult peoples while you are bashing me seriously like that :lol:

I didn't call it a "poor artist" go learn to read and chill out a bit before you make every valuable author flee the community.

:facepalm: