arrow's autopilot is not useful when landing on a planet with amosphere

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
This is a known feature (not a bug or issue), as the Arrow Freighter was never designed for atmospheric flight.

As for handling it under your expected conditions, it depends on the body in question. If you're running on an Earth-type planet, you'll need to mod the config file to up the thrust of the hover engines. Otherwise, you'll never be able to control your vertical sink rate. Also, the control authority under those conditions will likely be marginal due to the atmosphere. I'm not sure what the best approach path is, but I'd suspect that there really isn;t one that's been well thought out and tested, as, again, the Arrow wasn't designed for such missions. Personally, I'd use an XR-2 or XR-5 for the LEO-surface-LEO legs, depending on the amount of payload and/or personnel being transferred to the surface.
Mars, I'd wager you could possibly burn off a good chunk of your speed while still outside the atmosphere by burning retrograde, then take a 45* AoA and use the hovers to slow your downrange velocity while also controlling sink rate as you approach your target. But, I've never actually tried that approach, as I again usually use an XR-family ship for that leg of the mission.

Titan... Yeesh. Never even flown there, tbh. No ideas. :shrug:

Venus... NOPE. Do NOT attempt a landing there. :lol:

fwd0502

chinese boy,the heir of dragon
Reaction score
This is a known feature (not a bug or issue), as the Arrow Freighter was never designed for atmospheric flight.

As for handling it under your expected conditions, it depends on the body in question. If you're running on an Earth-type planet, you'll need to mod the config file to up the thrust of the hover engines. Otherwise, you'll never be able to control your vertical sink rate. Also, the control authority under those conditions will likely be marginal due to the atmosphere. I'm not sure what the best approach path is, but I'd suspect that there really isn;t one that's been well thought out and tested, as, again, the Arrow wasn't designed for such missions. Personally, I'd use an XR-2 or XR-5 for the LEO-surface-LEO legs, depending on the amount of payload and/or personnel being transferred to the surface.
Mars, I'd wager you could possibly burn off a good chunk of your speed while still outside the atmosphere by burning retrograde, then take a 45* AoA and use the hovers to slow your downrange velocity while also controlling sink rate as you approach your target. But, I've never actually tried that approach, as I again usually use an XR-family ship for that leg of the mission.

thank god i've got an anti-gravity engine addon now,this gonna be an easy work

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 AM ----------

could you tell me where to edit the hover lifting power of arrow?