Request artificial gravity rotation node thingy

spacemonkey81

lost in space
Reaction score
i was wondering if anybody out there has the skills and the time to make what i have in mind.

it would be great to have a station-module that has two opposite docking-ports that can rotate relative to each other.

it would have to be a small module, or rather a node,
it could have two or six docking ports,
it should have the ability to either continuesly rotate at a set direction and speed or to rotate once for 90, 180, or 270 degrees,
or perhaps any given amount of degrees
and it should also have fuel and ummu capability
it would be absolutly great if it could be controlled remotely,
say from a dg4 mfd that would control all node's in a given distance

think of the possibility's that would give:
ability to build space stations or vessels with artificial gravity
ability to morph the layout of a station, maybe to accomedate docking for different ships
ability to have a stationary docking port on a rotating object
u could even dock thrusters to it (like the nerva) and give ur interplanetary stack the ability to thrust in every direction
who needs rms? ur entire station could become a giant arm:lol:

i dont know anything about making addon's but maybe the "external tank stations" addon would give a good base to start from? the center of that is a quite small module and it has a part of the rotation capability's?

hope someone's up to the callenge, this would give many possibility's

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Greg Burch's Space Station Building Blocks (SSBB) has what you are looking for I believe.

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3177"]Space Station Building Blocks 4.1B[/ame]

Note the centrifuge on the right side of the picture...

I'm (very slowly) piecing together something very similar to make a centrifuge that is circular assembled from smaller modules. The modules are easy, it's the connections between them that are the delay due to real life right now.

Last edited:

spacemonkey81

lost in space
Reaction score
indeed, that's looking quite like it, only its a bit big,
i'd like to see it that small so that u have a desent view from ur cockpit
when docked to it with a dg-4 or xr-2.

by the way, i tried downloading ssbb 4.1b but for some reason i dont
get a folder with files but a giant word document full of unreadable text/markings,
dont know what thats about...

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I've been dabbling ith this.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ive been planning on creating one for a while. It dawned on me back in the summer that using a variable x, and the sine and cosine functions with repect to dock port rotation in x and y, it should be possible to create a module with a spinning docking port. Time willing Ill try to have a go at it in the next month or so, but addon development is quite time consuming of time I dont have ;). If you can create a nice mesh for what you want that would speed the process considerably.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It dawned on me back in the summer that using a variable x, and the sine and cosine functions with repect to dock port rotation in x and y, it should be possible to create a module with a spinning docking port.

The problem is, the vessel docked to the port won't rotate with it.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is it possible to somehow adapt whatever the SSBB solution was to a DLL, or is it probably useless?

I actually don't know how SSBB solved it. From what I know, it should be possible to achieve this goal by using attachment points instead of docking ports, but I'm not sure.

as a spinning superstructure would cause a lot of numeric complexity to be calculated for the whole superstructure.

It's probably more of an inadvertent side effect of optimisation. Usually docking ports don't change their positions, so it is a lot more economic to calculate the relative position of a docked vessel once, instead of every frame.

In any case, you can build rotating centrifuges in IMS, maybe that suits you.

Last edited: