Request ASAT missile

rseferino

Orbiter amateur filmmaker
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have been reading (for the umpteenth time) "Red Storm Rising" by Tom Clancy, written in 1986, dealing with World War III. In several chapters talk about the draft ASM-135 ASAT, anti-satellite missile could be launched from a fighter jet F-15. Actual tested missile shot down a satellite in orbit.

The missile is not placed in orbit, "simply" to intercept the satellite in its orbit.

I wondered why anyone who was interested in developing this project, but after thinking about it seems a bit difficult, Orbiter, not destroyed anything, and the missile to reach the satellite and go on.

Be interesting if it could be. What I most remember like it, is Soyuz-R. I remember that there is an Add-on, but not in orbithangar, Soyuz R, I mean:)

HTML:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASM-135_ASAT
HTML:
http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/asat.htm
HTML:
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/solwind.htm
asatmissilelaunch.jpg

186175561988fde998b6.jpg

asatmissile200407101503.jpg

070824f1234s009.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You mean something like that:
picture.php

picture.php

Is mostly finished there are just two problems left:

• Need a plane to launch it, that can be released. The Black Dart is still a huge mess for being released. The targeting would then need to be moved into a targeting MFD.
  • The second and first stage guidance needs to be fine tweaked and the trajectory measured for creating proper target tables.

clickypens

Orbinauta
Reaction score
The Black Dart looks so awesome. I patiently await it's release, along with it's ideological sister, the Hyper Dart.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Liber gave me a very nice ASAT mesh and I've been messing around with it as a simple addon.

The problem that I've got is that to simulate how the ASM-135 would work you need to launch it into the path of the approaching target and the speeds are so high that it really needs a targetting/autopilot MFD to control the ASM-135.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Wasn't originally designed to be an ASAT, but it kinda works for it...

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Was this ever released?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The problem that I've got is that to simulate how the ASM-135 would work you need to launch it into the path of the approaching target and the speeds are so high that it really needs a targetting/autopilot MFD to control the ASM-135.

Well, my ASM-135 has currently the realistic guidance, but lacks a proper targeting MFD...which wouldn't be very hard to make, since it is just calculating the ground track of a satellite target and launching the ASAT into the (coarse) orbit plane at approximately the right distance. The better you are to the optimal, the higher your chance to hit. Small in-plane errors can be corrected easier than small off-plane errors.

The biggest show stopper is currently, that I need a plane for launching it, with at least one compatible attachment.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Nice vid, Heilor, that last 5 seconds was worth it.
Yeah, I know the vid's waaaaaaaay too long for what actually happens. Sorry. What I should've done is show more of the missile's guidance in action in different situations (because it's really cool to watch the thrusters firing on their own) and just had the ASAT sequence be a bit of that...but meh.

Was this ever released?
No. It was a prototype for a set of addons which were never finished :(

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Nice Hielor, How was the guidance done? I notice that the ASAT approached in a prograde mode at high speed so isn't a true kinetic kill which would hit head on going retrograde.

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 ----------

The biggest show stopper is currently, that I need a plane for launching it, with at least one compatible attachment.

Urwumpe - didn't we talk about attachment points for Kev33's F-15 addon?

Would a Velcro ASM-135 be of any use?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Nice Hielor, How was the guidance done? I notice that the ASAT approached in a prograde mode at high speed so isn't a true kinetic kill which would hit head on going retrograde.
The reason I thought this was actually interesting is that the missile has no concept of orbital mechanics at all. Its a simple PD controller that takes into account the target's relative position, velocity, and acceleration.

I wrote it to be (and it is) insanely accurate when launched within relatively short range (500km or so), I was just surprised that the same guidance was able to launch from low altitude and still hit an orbiting object.

I did try hitting head on going retrograde, but it ended up just flying past the target...too much to correct for, I guess.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Any chance of a release of that MFD hielor? I'd like that have a play of it with the ASM-135 if you don't mind.

I've had the same sorts of issues with a retrograde intercept, I've found that part of the problem is the missile goes to where the satellite is and not where it will be so the miss distance is often on the order of >100km.