OHM Better ISS

barrygolden

Reaction score
This one of the best addons on here But close to time for an update. To fly around inside and see the ISS is awesome I use the " Sal" addon for EVA's But a working Quest air lock would really top this off. The other thing and I think I have said this before is a feature of real time tracking. You can use SCN ED and get the date and time right but the ISS is not in the right place and yes I quess if you know the location you could get it close but it would be nice to simplify that. Anyway love this addon and it's up there AMSO ,Shuttle Fleet and gattis's new Orion for being user friendly

Attachments

• ab.png
    ab.png
    693.6 KB · Views: 40

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I'll take a look at Quest, but no promises.
If you want the ISS in the right place, JPL Horizons has the data, and how to put it into scenario editor is explained here. If you need help with this, please let me know!
For example, the data for today and tomorrow (Dec 7 & Dec 8) is attached.

As far as real-time tracking: I don't really know how to tackle this.
I'm not sure how to automate fetching data from Horizons but even if I knew how, there would be a mess to deal with. How often to update? every 24 hours of simtime? How to change into the new orbit if there is a slight difference? Jump instantaneously? What if I'm closing for docking when it jumps?

Attachments

• horizons_results.txt
    5.5 KB · Views: 4

barrygolden

Reaction score
Thanks for the info and having a look. at the end of the shuttle program the guy who was doing shuttle fleet put the real time tracking in with his new mission releases and was really cool to go out at night and track then watch the ISS and Shuttle fly over

barrygolden

Reaction score
any update on doing the working quest air lock and the gap spanner for EVA's

Not sure if I ask if you could do the Skylab VC like this and the Gateway will need one as well

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
any update on doing the working quest air lock and the gap spanner for EVA's
I took a look at Quest, and the mesh would really have to be modified at even make the hatch open.
As far as the gap spanner, I would need technical diagrams to model it and since the goal of this addon isn't really realistic EVA simulation, I'm not sure it would be worth the effort. However, if @Donamy wants to let me use the gap spanner mesh from his ISS addon, I should be able to incorporate it pretty easily.

Not sure if I ask if you could do the Skylab VC like this and the Gateway will need one as well
If someone can provide a VC mesh, I can do it pretty easily provided the vessel is question uses a custom DLL vs something like spacecraft4, VesselBuilder, etc.
To be clear, the Better ISS VC mesh is not my work, I found it here and converted it for Orbiter.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Sure, no problem. And anything else you need.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
It has come to my attention that this addon has been uploaded here: https://orbiter-mods.com/view/42/better-iss-by-max-q

I did not upload it there, or authorize uploading it there, and strongly discourage the use of that site!
That (ex?) forum member is a pita.
Read this thread to refresh memory about his attitude...

And he has littered the English forum at Dansteph, too.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So what is a pita?

And a gap spanner?

As far as Skylab goes Yes I looked. Lots of images but not interior model. Might need a whole new model for exterior also.

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
Also, with the Axiom Station already an Orbiter addon thanks to francisdrake, would it be possible for a configuration that removes the PMA-2 from the front of the ISS to make room for the Axiom modules?
Ax_station_Final+renders_112.png
Most of the recent concept art that show the Axiom Segment sees PMA-2 entirely missing from the forward CBM of Harmony, suggesting that it is either moved to one of the ISS's nadir CBMs or it is deorbited (possibly through a departing Cargo Dragon)
1674310693625.png

Last edited:

barrygolden

Reaction score
I think this thing is being built right down the road from JSC in an old Fry Electronics store. Their is a full scale ISS mockup there hanging from the roof with 2 X38s their as well

The VC in the ISS HD is just awesome and really bring this to life would be cool to see the same for Skylab

the Gap spanner is the hand over hand ladder from the Quest airlock to the truss on the ISS

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Sure, no problem. And anything else you need.
I could also use your Bishop and BEAM meshes, if you're feeling generous... ;)

That (ex?) forum member is a pita.
Read this thread to refresh memory about his attitude...

And he has littered the English forum at Dansteph, too.
Yeah. Dan's forum isn't nearly as well moderated anymore now that Dan isn't around, so he's just kinda running wild over there... :eek:

Might need a whole new model for exterior also.
The exterior model from the Skylab1973 is quite good in my opinion, with a few tweaks it should work just fine.

Also, with the Axiom Station already an Orbiter addon thanks to francisdrake, would it be possible for a configuration that removes the PMA-2 from the front of the ISS to make room for the Axiom modules?
Easy enough. Something like a .cfg option like I did for the Pirs docking compartment?

I think this thing is being built right down the road from JSC in an old Fry Electronics store. Their is a full scale ISS mockup there hanging from the roof with 2 X38s their as well
Fry's used to be my favorite store, I'd go in there for hours just to shop even though I couldn't afford much of the stuff they sold in there...
I was sad when they shut down, although I knew it was pretty much inevitable.
Neat to think that a Fry's store now serves a spacecraft factory... :cool:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So could you make a cfg setting to not show the Quest airlock? Then dock/attach a Quest airlock with attachments for the Nitro tanks and eva. Like the Shuttle. OPen the door and press a key and the guys appear. Use tethr to move around

The gap spanner is also called the Airlock strut.
STS-110 Airlock Spur The Airlock Spur is a structural beam outfitted with multiple EVA handrails to facilitate translation from the Joint Airlock to the forward side of S0 and the Lab module. It measures 166.9 inches in overall length from the S0 pin fitting to the airlock bolts interface. Ten handrails (seven long, three short) are installed on two faces of the beam to provide handholds for crew translation. The Airlock Spur will be launched preinstalled on the starboard aft side of S0 with a hinge pin joint attachment to S0 and will be bolted to the airlock on orbit.

Easy to make.

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
So could you make a cfg setting to not show the Quest airlock?
Here's the issue with that: The VC mesh includes Quest, and if another vessel was docked to that CBM it would not know to hide it's exterior mesh when you're in VC mode.
That would lead to some really odd visual effects!
I can't just hide the VC meshgroups, because there is no CBM hatch to block the hole... so we're back to odd visual effects!

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh. I will see what I get. So I had a quest airlock that does EVA. I can't seem to find the quest airlock in the vc. though to see if it is blocking,....