Project Blender 2.63 + to Orbiter import/export addon

vlad32768

Reaction score
But not every meshes load properly, there are some problems with XR2 and XR5 vessels

Fixed bug with XR5 mesh. You can download a new version.

That XR5 mesh is slightly buggy :)
It has a group with missed UVs, and Blender doesn't like it. Now importer adds (0,0) UVs in that case.

Also XR5 mesh has A LOT of unnecessary geometry, but it doesn't prevent the mesh from being imported, of course.

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That XR5 mesh is slightly buggy :)
It has a group with missed UVs, and Blender doesn't like it. Now importer adds (0,0) UVs in that case.
This is not a bug. According to the .msh specification, UV coordinates are optional.

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi
Having no luck trying to get Blender to import mesh
Downloaded archive from http://gitorious.org/blender-orbiter-io/blender-orbiter-io/archive-tarball/master
Extracted " io_orbiter_msh.py" to C:\Blender\2.56\scripts\addons. (Thumbnail 4)
Enabled module in File->User Preferences->Add-Ons (I think - no confirmation message)

I get error message as at 3rd thumbnail when trying to import mesh. Nothing appears in Blender scene.

1st. Do I have the right version of Blender.? (One I have is shown at thumbnails 1 & 2.)
2nd. Have I got right version of archive? (blender-orbiter-io-blender-orbiter-io-master.tar).
3rd. Have I put addon in correct directory?

I'm a complete novice with Blender !!. What am I doing wrong ???

Please help.

JMW

Now have error mesage as at Thumbnail 5.

Last edited:

marooder86

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi
Having no luck trying to get Blender to import mesh
Have yoy tried with different meshes?
I get error message as at 3rd thumbnail when trying to import mesh. Nothing appears in Blender scene.
It doesn't look like error message for me. It says that mesh has been imported but seems like it has no faces or vertices at all, like it was an empty object.
1st. Do I have the right version of Blender.? (One I have is shown at thumbnails 1 & 2.)
As vlad32768 said the latest builds should work.
2nd. Have I got right version of archive? (blender-orbiter-io-blender-orbiter-io-master.tar).
If you downloaded it from the link from the first post of this tread then I belief it's the right one.
3rd. Have I put addon in correct directory?
Seems like yes, it's the place it should be.
If you're new to Blender wouldn't be wiser to get to know it more before trying to import or export meshes;).
Try to import some different meshes from your Orbiters directory and see if they work or not. And before importing, delete all object on the scene or at least default cube, you don't need it there;)
If it won't work anyway then I think you have to wait for updated version of vlad's script or download a little bit older Blender's build, the one I use works perfectly:) and it;s this one: r43338.

vlad32768

Reaction score

You are using the wrong plugin. There are logs of another plugin at thumbnail #3 (possibly Wavefront .obj importer).

You should enable Orbiter mesh import-export in Add-ons tab, and use File->Import->Orbiter mesh (.msh) to import an Orbiter mesh.

Last edited:

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi vlad.
I can't find a reference to Orbiter in Addons tab?

Last edited:

vlad32768

Reaction score
I can't find a reference to Orbiter in Addons tab?
That's strange. Probably there are some problems with this Blender build.
I can't download R34360 now, but all is OK with Blender 2.56a SVN r34384 Win32 built by BrianSzep.

Kendo

Reaction score
Hi, it works fine with 2.56a r34371 build win32 :thumbup:

Last edited:

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can't find any of those builds guys !
Where can I get one? (Pref. 2.56a SVN r34384 Win32 built by BrianSzep)

vlad32768

Reaction score
Can't find any of those builds guys !
Where can I get one? (Pref. 2.56a SVN r34384 Win32 built by BrianSzep)

This build is just an example. I didn't find your build too, because it became obsolete.
Blender is updating at a rate of at least 15 revisions a day, so you should try a newer one. Again, I don't know what was wrong with your build, but everything was OK with newer builds.

tomthenose

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
can't get it to appear

hi, having a minor issue with the addon, if i copy the file into the right folder or add it using the blender install addon feature it doesn't show up on the list even as disabled, the console says 'addon-disable io orbiter mesh not loaded' which isn't terribly helpful
i'm running blender 2.56, i think i have an outdated version of python which may be the problem? i have python 2.6 and i see theres a 2.7 and 3.1 available, i'm quite new to blender so i might be doing something dense...

tomthenose

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
blenduh

yeah that worked thanks!
i see some other folks have already had that problem further up this thread, sorry for the repeat marooder...

anyway, thanks vlad for the awesome addon!

marooder86

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
How to load the texture ? What button?
I can not cope
Script loads textures automatically while loading the mesh, there is no button for it. If you want to see model textured in Blender window then you have to switch to "textured mode" to see textures on loaded mesh.