Question Blender Question

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been answered before.

I was just wondering how you can take a basic cylinder-shaped object in Blender (ie- a rocket) and creat indentations/cutouts where the sections aren't actually cut out, just sort of "molded inward". This isn't really for an addon I'm just trying to put some ideas in my head "onto paper" so to speak.

Basically comes together at a point near the top but then has a cutout leading down the length of the rocket where boosters (similar to the Soyuz booster) to minimize cross section. I'm envisioning 4 such cutouts for booster rockets (yes, I know, similiar to Soyuz). But I have a modified design in mind.

Please, don't berate me for trying to model something that has already been modelled. I'm just trying to learn how to do it to add to my skills as a modeler.

I also have a few more questions, if you'll oblige me.

1.) Where do people find accurate schematics/drawings to use as background images in Blender to be able to create accurate models in regards to shapy and size?

2.) If, and its a BIG if, I manage to figure it out, would the booster sections that would end up falling away partway through the launch have to be modelled seperately? Or can I just create them then translate them over to the main core to make it look good?

Also, how does one go about determing the mass of the rocket? That part has always been a mystery to me.

Please keep in mind I have zero experience and would never think of releasing this into the world of Orbiter and designs of this type have been done very VERY well. I'm only trying to learn how things work.

3.) As far as free modelling programs go, are there any other options that others prefer? I've only had experience with Blender, and I'm still working my way up the learning curve.

4.) Once I have the design done, is there a program I use to texture the rocket to make it look good? I know you can texture in Blender but my attempts leave...........a lot to be desired. I know people use Photoshop, but I don't have that kind of money.

Again, I'm sorry if this ruffles any feathers. I'm just trying to learn from the best, which just so happen to be here, in those involved with Orbiter.

Thank you for any advice you can give at all....

Last edited:

T1234

Reaction score
Hi,I find blender very tedious to use.To anwer questions 3 and 4, Anim8tor program is the best to learn on,lots of plugin shapes avadable and is relativley streightfoward. For texturing I use GIMP and a free legacy version of photoshop and Anim8tor has a UV tool for texture mapping.Good texturing is the hard part to making a good addon(Which I am still learning).

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
1) Those are called blueprint. Just google what you want + "blueprint". A good one might be hidden in all the results.

2) All the "detachable" parts must be modeled separately. Orbiter does not recognize separate parts in an object. You can use groups (ie: separate objects in Blender) and put it inside one Orbiter mesh, but you would have no way of separating it. So yes, each module modeled separately, and then put back together with what you plan to use for configuring the rocket (Multistage is the best if you don't want to get into C++ code)

3) There are some other free modelling programs: Sculptris for sculpting, FreCAD for parametric modelling (similar to SolidWorks). But for quick and easy modelling Blender is the best amongst the free ones.

4) GIMP is the free equivalent of Photoshop, and does its job really good.