Boeing 787 in vertical takeoff

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
That looks like last years Paris airshow, nothing unexpected with an empty aircraft fuelled for that display+ 5-10 minutes extra.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The takeoff view angle (from behind) is tricky: no commercial transport Aircraft is capable of a "vertical" takeoff (even with no payload and low fuel).
They probably pitched up to 40-50 degrees (which is not even close to vertical) maximum and just for a few seconds. Keeping that pitch longer during takeoff would lead to a solid stall :facepalm:

TachyonDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
No airliner can stand on its tail and climb vertically (not even Concorde with its afterburners). You're talking jet fighter territory here - English Electric Lightning for instance. Took the Americans another 20 years to rival that (F-15 Eagle) ;)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The Harrier can do it, and do it slowly, too. A pilot who knows what he's doing can make the thing stand on its tail and slowly rise up, nose over and accelerate down range like a heavy launch vehicle. I saw it done once by one pilot; I think he was a US Marine squadron commander. It's certainly not the standard way of flying Harriers.

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

Neither of those vids show the takeoff from the side, so you can't really judge the pitch angle. They both show it from behind or above where it's easy to manipulate the camera angle and make it look vertical for dramatic effect. That second video has "TV movie music" over it, which is a surefire way to get me to thumb it down. I want to hear jet engines.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
This is a case of a forced perspective. It's not a vertical takeoff, just a REALLY steep one.

Still badass, though!