Updates Boeing's CST-100 Starliner

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
That there is no view of the crew inside until docking is a pretty downer, Starliner is really a pretty minimal backup.
I was thinking the same.

"Ha" and "Hp" on the PFD-view seems to be the height of apogee and perigee, right?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Here you go

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
Right now the crew is looking for their sleep masks. Obviously they are not where they are supposed to be 🤷‍♂️😅

Edit: according to MCC they should be in the stowage for clothing... Why not store them in the sleep bags? Crew systems is actually one of the most simple things I would guess.

Last edited:

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
Do they actually carry a rehydration sration on Starliner that provides hot water, for rehydrating freeze-dried food? Or do they rely on NF and FF foods/snacks on their way to the ISS and back to Earth?

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
They found their sleep masks 💪😂 Well, good first night in the new spacecraft then 💤🌒 Butch already was tired during prelaunch. I bet he will fall asleep very quickly...

Last edited:

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
Yeah, heard the comms regarding the helium leak on NASA TV. Let's hope it doesn't increase beyond the limit. But I guess even if, there would be enough redundancy for the OMAC.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Helium is terribly hard to keep contained, like hydrogen, so SOME amount of leakage must actually be expected. But this sounds like its at least one order of magnitude higher.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Sounds like docking to the ISS is slowly getting endangered, if they have to take that many RCS thrusters offline. Of course, Starliner is a thruster exhibition, with 54 thrusters in total (And 28 RCS engines).

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
Sounds like docking to the ISS is slowly getting endangered, if they have to take that many RCS thrusters offline. Of course, Starliner is a thruster exhibition, with 54 thrusters in total (And 28 RCS engines).

Yeah. Let's see what they evaluate and decide. Sadly I'll be at work today. So no realtime NASA TV coverage for me today. But good that we have this thread here 👌

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
First question from Butch to MCC after the wakeup call just a moment ago: concerning the helium leaks. But obviously they are still go for rendezvous. They will encrease the pressure and try to recover the RCS jets...

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
It seems that Butch fell in love with Starliner, judging from the communucation with MCC. He literally hail-probed the spacecraft and those who designed and built it. One could hear the excitement in his voice 👍

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
A5/Starliner CFT: We still don't have a full picture of the helium system status and what impacts the leakage might have on downstream operations; but pressing ahead with today's space station rendezvous indicates confidence the ship's propulsion system is up to the task of carrying out the required maneuvers; docking at the lab's forward port is expected at 12:15pm EDT (1615 UTC) (4/4)

https://x.com/cbs_spacenews/status/1798641920819785730

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
Caution, rant.

Obviously they are trying to replay a video downlink from the crew of this morning. But the only thing we get on NASA TV is audio, sadly. Too bad that in 2024 they are not able to at least send bad video, but even no video at all. I always hear from Suni that "as you can see". I'm not seeing anything but a crew picture. And the audio is bad also. Sounds like 1980s.

More than a decade ago they did better...

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
That is because the Space Shuttle was a REAL spacecraft, not a repurposed liferaft.
Nice rant too👌

I think that Starliner is great for what it was designed for. But yes, compared to the Shuttle it really is like a liferaft (with parachutes) 😂

As I had said often before: We will badly miss the STS after a while...
Yeah, I really do. Especially all the payload stuff and ISS assembling. That added so many tasks and procedures to the space program. Not to mention the MMU and all the other things they invented and tried. Even if you simulate it just on your PC at home, capsules can become quite boring especially during the coasting phases. It might change a little bit with Artemis though, hopefully. But after all, Starliner is just a space ferry 🤷‍♂️

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
To get away from complaining, there was a very funny talk going on between the crew and MCC. For those who missed it... I sadly missed the first part but Butch reported something that sounds like pipes in a basement. CAPCOM replied that there are no basements at the Cape. Butch in turn replied that one should not start taking about basements at the Cape... 😂 They also asked Butch what the OMAC sounds like. He said, loosely translated: I can't tell you how it sounds like but I can tell you how it feels like; it's not quite like what you got from your dad when you screwed up as a kid, but it feels like what you got from your mom 🤣 Then he added, while you could hear Suni laughing in the background, that he probably got more slapped as a kid than most kids. WTF... 😂

I love how relaxed they are communicating these days. There is also a lot of talk going on regarding the systems, design etc. Suni reported that rubber of switches and buttons partly came off, not the hardware of the switches but just the rubber. Sounds interesting. I'm curious if this was due to vibrations during ascent or some another reason.

Like they mentioned it before, there is a lot to learn from the new spacecraft. And certainly a lot to fix and do different next time.