Poll Browser Wars Take 2!

Which web browser do you use most often?

• Internet Explorer

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • Mozilla Firefox

Votes: 37 42.0%
  • Google Chrome

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • Apple Safari

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Opera

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Some other minor competitors that you think should be mentioned...

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Can't make up your mind...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Unstung

Reaction score
Speaking of BSODs, I used to get them frequently when playing Orbiter at the end of my previous computer's life. I think it occurred most often when warping time. Some other applications caused BSODs, but not as often. It turned out I had a few viruses, too. So, definitely check your PC.

Columbia42

Reaction score
I used to get BSODs sometimes when I plugged in my external hard drive. I got a new EHDD and they happened much less. I got a bigger internal HDD so that I wouldn't have to use any external drives and I haven't had a BSOD in months. (In my case it was a problem with my USB port drivers and reinstalling them mostly fixed the problem but I still have some USB hardware and software issues.)

Kalman

Reaction score
I voted for Opera, but I use Firefox 4 as well. I couldnt see Flash movies (on YouTube for example) with my previous version of Firefox, so I installed 4th and now problem is gone.
Opera is nice too.

Dambuster

Reaction score
BSODs??? What Windows version?

Windows XP. Admittedly it is an old computer (almost 8 years old I think), we've upgraded RAM and graphics, and also had to replace the motherboard. That said, it usually runs pretty well.

On that PC, I use Opera if I want something reasonably fast - Firefox can get extremely slow at times on that thing.

jedimaster1214

CDR-LMP-CMP
Reaction score
WOW. I just downloaded Google Chrome, & i'm amazed at the speed compared to IE. Now i just need to figure out how to navigate its tools and features...:p I'm stuck on choosing a theme..... I'm debating between 'Cork Board' or 'Pencil Sketch'. :)

Last edited:

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Try Google Chrome. I think you'll like it, faster, easier, and far less popups. That's why I like to use it.

Unfortunately, my father will not allow me to do that because his jobs web page will only work in IE. :shrug: go figure?

(and he wants all computers to be the same for back up of any kind)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
Samuel Edwards said:
Unfortunately, my father will not allow me to do that because his jobs web page will only work in IE.

Installing Google Chrome won't uninstall IE. And you can always uninstall it. Try it, it's great! (IMO)

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
WOW. I just downloaded Google Chrome, & i'm amazed at the speed compared to IE. Now i just need to figure out how to navigate its tools and features...:p I'm stuck on choosing a theme..... I'm debating between 'Cork Board' or 'Pencil Sketch'. :)
I really hate pieces of software that decide they must look different to all other pieces of software running on your system because they're in some way special. It really irks me that they have decided that the window surround doesn't conform their corporate image so you end up with a common theme and button placement for all the windows running on your computer except one particular one that decided it wasn't getting enough attention and needed to look different so people paid attention to it. Why can't you just use the normal window surrounds provided by the OS like everyone else? I know you don't like it, but I happen to like it so stop fooling around with your individual window surrounds as they look bad.

Yes, iTunes and Chrome. I'm looking at you.

---------- Post added at 14:29 ---------- Previous post was at 14:27 ----------

Unfortunately, my father will not allow me to do that because his jobs web page will only work in IE. :shrug: go figure?

(and he wants all computers to be the same for back up of any kind)
Install Firefox. There's a nice addon called IE-tab plus (or something like that) that allows you to specify web pages to use the IE rendering engine, so your Dad's job website will appear in firefox, but be rendered by the IE engine so will work. I use this at work as our work websites are alse NON-STANDARDS-COMPLIANT so won't work in FF.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Google Chrome is a smaller download and faster though.
Why does the page render only in IE?

Oh, I remember now: Dad said that his job only allows him to use IE :facepalm:, and he keeps the browsers all the same so there is no conflict among our computers. I don't get it, but if he says to do something, I'm doing it.

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
[long post bashing browsers about their borders]

Well, I don't really know about other browsers' themes, but in Chrome at least there is a line defining the borders, delete it and you get "normal" borders. Also the default theme uses Aero in Windows 7 and I guess also Vista (but I haven't tried).

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Google Chrome is a smaller download and faster though.
How Chrome is smaller download than Firefox? The standard, web installer is smaller, but it downloads the browser when it's being installed. The full, off-line installer is 20-26 MB large, depending on the version and build (Chromium / Chrome). For instance the full installer of Firefox is 13 MB large (at least for non-incremental versions 4.0 and 4.2 alpha).

As for Chrome being faster than Firefox, it is, if I execute the application or browse using only one to a couple of tabs, but if I use many tabs at once, Firefox is faster then for me. As for the speed of rendering pages on my machine, Opera (11.10) is the fastest of them.

Well, I don't really know about other browsers' themes, but in Chrome at least there is a line defining the borders, delete it and you get "normal" borders.
What's the setting name and in what file, as I didn't find it neither in the Preferences, nor in the theme's "manifest.json", and the only "border" strings I found in the User Data were in the extensions, I don't see it in application settings/flags either, and I'd really like to get those "normal" borders.

By the way, is there a line to move the Chrome's menu button, or new tab button to some other location (I'd prefer them both being at the top-left side of screen, and if there is a way I'd like to move the extensions bar somewhere else too).

What I'd really like to have as an Internet browser, would be a mix of Firefox, Chrome, and Opera.