News Carrie Fisher Dies at 60

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
9 days. 9 :censored:ing days, 2016. Stop it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I hope nobody of the Orbiter community gets hit by 2016.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
9 days. 9 :censored:ing days, 2016. Stop it.

2016 is the Sarlacc.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

She apparently went into cardiac arrest 15 minutes before the plane landed. CPR was administered, but she was a long time without ALS. NY Daily News is saying she is on a ventilator. :(

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

Carrie Fisher's brother is tweeting that she is "out of emergency" and "stable". Whatever that means.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

Brother now saying she's in ICU, not in stable condition.

http://etcanada.com/news/190820/carrie-fisher-suffers-massive-heart-attack-on-plane/

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
15 minutes... even with an EMT onboard... I hope I don't know as much medicine as I think I do :( :( :(

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Her heart keeps beating and I'm sure we all hope it continues. My grandfather had heart problems when he was 63. Now he's 83.

statisticsnerd

Reaction score
Just remember to be grateful for every minute you are alive on Earth because it could be close to your last, and you don't know it. Heart attacks are unexpected and it could happen to any of us at any time.

Hope she pulls through okay.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
She apparently went into cardiac arrest 15 minutes before the plane landed. CPR was administered, but she was a long time without ALS. NY Daily News is saying she is on a ventilator. :(

The article you linked says she suffered the heart attack 15 minutes before the plane landed, not that she went into cardiac arrest at that time. And I figure if your going to have a heart attack where EMS can't reach you immediately, an airliner is probably where you want to have it: the flight attendants will know CPR, and there's oxygen available.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
15 minutes... even with an EMT onboard... I hope I don't know as much medicine as I think I do

I've seen much worse, so I'm confident.

A few years ago we were acting a modern play as amateurs on a parking roof. That was a very very hot summer evening. A few minutes into the play, one of my friends, who was 40-years-old and was apparently in full health, stumbled, walked a few steps like a zombie, then collapsed on the ground, apparently unable to coordinate his movements.

We were shocked and wondered if it was something he was doing in the context of the play, but it was a bit too weird. After a long minute, our director said "ok stop !!" and from there we called the emergencies.

They first didn't believed the person who called them (it was a Saturday evening). After an agonizing 45 minutes, the ambulance was in sight.

The guy had a brutal heart attack. He was saved because there were 1 nurse amongst us and 2 paramedics amongst the spectactors. But they had absolutely no drugs or hardware. They kept him alive with their hands and pure know-how.

Later we learned the guy's heart stopped beating and was restarted 12 times. Today he is ok, though his brain suffered from O2 deprival. Doctors said that some parts of his brain were dead. His memory was almost entirely gone and he even forgot how to walk. But even if he was slow at first, he was able to think, communicate (and learn again). So after 6 months of intensive re-education, he was on foot again and had recovered a good deal of his memory. Clearly a bit slower than before, but it still was him. There is still no real explanation of why it happened, again he was healthy, rather young, athletic and practiced sport.

So 15 minutes with a trained crew and some emergency hardware/drugs doesn't seems so bad. But I'd say she'll have to retire in a quiet place after that. They are probably going to have to find a clone for the next Star Wars, even if Carrie recovers well.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
There is still no real explanation of why it happened, again he was healthy, rather young, athletic and practiced sport.

Unfortunately, that seems to be much less of an impediment to heart attacks than you'd think. My uncle died of a heart attack while skiing alone this January, and on health and athleticism, I'd have said he was one of the two least likely people in our extended family to be dead by our next family reunion, *including myself*, even though I'm 30 years younger.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Carrie has made no secret about the fact that she hasn't taken good care of herself over the years, with lots of drug abuse and so on, and treatment for mental health problems; she writes about it in her books and jokes about it in interviews and speeches.

Hopefully she will pull through and get on a better track going forward.

Worrying about celebrities is an odd thing; I don't know Carrie Fisher personally nor has she done anything heroic to benefit me in the way that someone like, say, George Washington might have, but her face is stamped onto a fictional character in a fictional story set in a fictional universe that has become a major part of our culture.

Star Wars, in some ways, is to the modern world what the Iliad and the Odyssey were to the ancients: a great tale of adventure and heroism. And this despite the fact that we know for certain it is all just fantasy and a commercial money cow for Lucas and now Disney.

Pop culture is weird.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I think if I was stuck with my childhood memories of Star Wars and Princess Leia I'd be less struck by the tragedy, but I've read her books and am aware of her struggles with bipolar disorder and the substance abuse, addictions, and relationship issues that often accompany that disorder. I have some close loved ones with BD which puts a more personal light on the situation as well.

This disorder was very poorly understood back in the 1980s when Fisher was first diagnosed and treatments were not well established. Death by suicide or overdose is a very possible outcome of this disorder. She's had to resort to ECT to manage her depressive episodes, which is effective but often wreaks havoc on memory.

The short of it - Carrie Fisher has had a challenging existence and the fact that she's been able to recover and do so much is a testament to her character and strength of will. The fact that this may all be undone at the relatively early age of 60 is sad to hear.

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That sucks. now I wonder how JJ Abrams is going to deal with this for Episode 8

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
JJ Abrams isn't directing VIII. Additionally, filming has already finished for VIII. IX will be the issue if the script has a heavy amount of Leia in it.

Heartbroken. So unexpected.

hutchison66

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Carrie Fisher

RIP Carrie Fisher,
She is one with the Force now
really upset

Attachments

• Princess-Leia-princess-leia-organa-solo-skywalker-34240656-2500-1933.jpg
    Princess-Leia-princess-leia-organa-solo-skywalker-34240656-2500-1933.jpg