Centaur G/G Prime High Energy Upper Stage

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Urwumpe: How far along did you get with the Centaur/CISS SSP integration? I'm just wondering how far away a functional Centaur/CISS is. Mesh-wise, everything is done except for wiring on the Centaur Equipment Module and LOX tank barrel from the cableway box to the staging disconnects. The then the same goes for the CISS (wiring from the various avionics boxes on the Deployment Adapter leading to staging disconnects on the DA which in turn mate with the staging disconnects on the Centaur). Donamy, I believe you earlier expressed an interest in helping out with the wiring. Is this still the case?

Short: Not far at all. Have some lots of real-life right now with my switching to a new project and a lot of skills requiring training right now (JavaEE, Oracle DB, SOAP)

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I plan to be available again for some serious coding in the middle of July, after my exams at university. Also, from the beginning of August on, I have mandatory factory holidays to take.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for your replies.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Found this in document I got off NTRS over a year ago. "Current" is October 2 1989.

Centaur_related_mods_post-51L.jpg

These two are of the RTG Cooling Kit used to cool the RTGs on Galileo (STS-34, Atlantis) and Ulysses (STS-41, Discovery):

RTG_Cooling_Kit_overview1.jpg

RTG_Cooling_Kit_overview2.jpg

Edit:
Managed to find the source document: Study to identify future cryogen payload elements/users for space shuttle launch during period 1990 to 2000

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Urwumpe, I'm just checking to see how things are going on your end with the Centaur/CISS to see if there's anything you need from me.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Urwumpe, I'm just checking to see how things are going on your end with the Centaur/CISS to see if there's anything you need from me.

Not right now. I wait for finishing of the IUS before taking a look there again, in the mean time, I focus on fixing bugs in the trunk.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Not right now. I wait for finishing of the IUS before taking a look there again, in the mean time, I focus on fixing bugs in the trunk.
That's a good idea. There's a number of tickets that need attention.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That's a good idea. There's a number of tickets that need attention.

Yes, but more so, this way I can wait for GLS to finish his stuff and then resume the Centaur to use the same code base, if possible.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes, but more so, this way I can wait for GLS to finish his stuff and then resume the Centaur to use the same code base, if possible.
How about merging the two branches and creating a "upper stage" branch? This seems to be possible efficient path especially if they are going to share code bases.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
How about merging the two branches and creating a "upper stage" branch? This seems to be possible efficient path especially if they are going to share code bases.

If you would have suggested to do so one year ago, I would have said yes and asked for the PAMs.

But now, I would suggest pushing towards a release in the next three weeks and then decide: Should the next version of SSU contain all the upper stages? Then we should merge the stuff of all upper stages to the trunk and develop them there.

Also, I think both branches have progressed too far to easily merge them into one without going through the trunk. It will get difficult to manage because we need to keep merge direction constant.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
One thing I would like to do is move all the Centaur related meshes and textures (except the panel) to dedicated folders like the IUS. Any potential problems with that?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
One thing I would like to do is move all the Centaur related meshes and textures (except the panel) to dedicated folders like the IUS. Any potential problems with that?

Not for me right now.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
No issues for me either. I believe I already did that with the textures. Let me know if I'm required in the ShuttleCentaur branch.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Any data on the rotation range of the CISS tilt table? Currently we have 0º to 45º.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It's 0 to 45, there's no intermediate "check-out" position for the Centaur.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
It's 0 to 45, there's no intermediate "check-out" position for the Centaur.

And after deployment? Does it stow at a negative angle like the ASE?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
DaveS could you give me the correct offset for the mission kit plumbing? I'm trying to position that, so I can then put the CISS in the right place.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
DaveS could you give me the correct offset for the mission kit plumbing? I'm trying to position that, so I can then put the CISS in the right place.
Try 4.8 in the Z-axis. Now that I have checked it against the orbiter, it needs some work to fit properly.

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

I have checked in an updated Centaur Mission Kit plumbing that fits the orbiter much better as well as require no offset set in the code, so please set the offset to 0,0,0.