Computer Problem

Missioncmdr

Reaction score
Recently I have been having this really weird problem with my computer. When I open or the computer starts an application, an error similar to this error shows up:

Error.jpg

The application works fine, but this is getting very annoying and I do not want things to get any worse. Anyone have any suggestions?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Recently I have been having this really weird problem with my computer. When I open or the computer starts an application, an error similar to this error shows up:
Does it happen when you start the laptop, or start some application?
If second, which application it is?

trojan.vundo can be suspected. antivirus check recommended.

Tachyon

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yep - welcome to the world of malware and viruses.

I work for an IT outsourcing company in the chicagoland area and have seen of recent a surge of this darn vundo "trojan". In most cases you can resolve the issue by installing, updating then scanning your system with a malware scanner called Malwarebytes (and boy don't it ! :lol:) Download it here

In a few cases the "mother" or "spawning" virus or malware is fully stealthed and can be very hard to eradicate leading to it's children continuing to show up. In which case I'm sorry to report the quick, sure fix is a reformat.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'd suspect a virus too. I had a problem with lost dll-paths once because of one, sounded rather similiar.

Missioncmdr

Reaction score
Yep - welcome to the world of malware and viruses.

I work for an IT outsourcing company in the chicagoland area and have seen of recent a surge of this darn vundo "trojan". In most cases you can resolve the issue by installing, updating then scanning your system with a malware scanner called Malwarebytes (and boy don't it ! :lol:) Download it here

In a few cases the "mother" or "spawning" virus or malware is fully stealthed and can be very hard to eradicate leading to it's children continuing to show up. In which case I'm sorry to report the quick, sure fix is a reformat.

I downloaded and ran that program. It found two files which I promptly deleted. However, I am still having the same problem. I can see a re-formated hard drive in my near future.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I can see a re-formated hard drive in my near future.

Bummer, :(

I suggest getting a EHD and back up all your data on it, and if you don't have a drivers disk for you computer, find them and pre-download them and save it.

Also a note on reformatting (if you have a laptop), don't do what I did. I left the external USB mouse plugged in when installing the OS system. The installer hangs up on installing 'drivers and devices' because it cannot find a driver for a USB mouse. I left the computer to install overnight and apparently the progress bar hadnot moved for 8 hours... :mellow:

Tachyon

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
In other words... Windows! :p
yeah ... larger targets are easier to hit and more rewarding. If the other OS's had the kind of penetration that windows has .... they'd be targetted as well. It's the same ole :firefox: argument. ;) But that is a whole nuther thread !

Missioncmdr - I can assume that you did the update before doing the "full" scan. Also, you might want to try a 2nd opinion from a 2nd virus scanner. In the business world 1st line is SAV Corp. I'd try a kaspersky or a NOD32 free trial. But as you can see ... by the time you've tried all these ... you're 85% of the way thru a fresh OS install. And if you've gone 16-24 months on an OS install - start over anyways.

Missioncmdr

Reaction score
Back online after a re-format. Thanks for all of the suggestions, but I guess I was overdue for a re-format, anyway.