New Release Crew Dragon 2022

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Totally up to you! If you have an updated version for the "Crew Dragon DM2", it would seem logical to do so.
If losing the old "Crew Dragon for Orbiter2016" is a major problem for you, we can keep it. :)
The replacement is here: Much nicer and some extra features: :cool:
https://www.orbiter-forum.com/resources/deep-space-crew-dragon.140/

Crew Dragon for Orbiter2016 is a dependency of my old addon. As I said, it's obsolete now, so no need to keep Crew Dragon for Orbiter2016 up.
I will take it down to avoid version confusion. (y)

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Cool. I guess I'll give it until the end of the week, then take down the old "Crew Dragon for Orbiter2016" and rename this one.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Looking forward to the 'Crew Dragon 2022'! I think this will be a good representation of the - still growing - fleet of Crew and Cargo Dragon capsules.
___
I did some manual high-speed rentries recently. Looking for the perfect periapsis aim-point (like 60 km) would be easier if a lift-drag behaviour would be in the documentation. Questions:
  • Does the Crew Dragon (DM2) has an offset center of gravity, to provide some lift during rentry?
  • Is this somehow modified with the 'Ballast' value?
  • Which direction is 'up' for this lift? Is it towards the side hatch, or towards the crews' heads?

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looking forward to the 'Crew Dragon 2022'! I think this will be a good representation of the - still growing - fleet of Crew and Cargo Dragon capsules.
___
I did some manual high-speed rentries recently. Looking for the perfect periapsis aim-point (like 60 km) would be easier if a lift-drag behaviour would be in the documentation. Questions:
  • Does the Crew Dragon (DM2) has an offset center of gravity, to provide some lift during rentry?
  • Is this somehow modified with the 'Ballast' value?
  • Which direction is 'up' for this lift? Is it towards the side hatch, or towards the crews' heads?
Hi,
1. Yes, it should maintain a -170deg AoA (-Z axis 10deg below velocity vector, heads up) and give a bit of lift.
2. No, the ballast simply adds mass to the vessel.
3. Lift is in +Y direction (towards crew's heads).

The L/D is ~1/4 (roughly Apollo-ish I hope), so if you can "fly" the Apollo capsule, this should respond in something like the same way (?).

Right - I better get on with my add-on "housekeeping" :)

Cheers,
Brian

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Done!

This add-on now renamed to "Crew Dragon 2022" v.221126
The old "Crew Dragon for Orbiter2016" retired.

This add-on now includes scenarios for Pad Abort test, FalconHeavy launch(fictional), DM1, DM2, Inspiration4.
Includes Inspiration4 variant with viewing cupola.

Scenarios and Doc folders names changed to "Crew Dragon 2022", other folders remain "DM2".

Cheers,
Brian

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
3. Lift is in +Y direction (towards crew's heads).

Thanks for the clarification! Apollo was different. They entered heads down, with the lift vector pointing towards their feet.
1669562045170.png

I guess the heads-down attitude was to allow an early view on the horizon, in the Apollo viewport layout.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification! Apollo was different. They entered heads down, with the lift vector pointing towards their feet.
I guess the heads-down attitude was to allow an early view on the horizon, in the Apollo viewport layout.
Well, I learned something today! Thanks.
Sounds a bit uncomfortable, though. But I guess there's not that much lift anyway.
With the Dragon windows being around the crews feet, I guess +Y lift is logical from this standpoint as well?

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
I guess, your attitude is correct for the Dragon capsule.
The Dragons viewports are in the direction of the crews feet, to the left and right of the side hatch.
So the pilots can see the Earths surface during reentry.

On Apollo the viewports were on the same side as the pilots heads, probably to provide a forward view during docking.

Also during reentry you want to keep the delicate parts on the leeward side of the canted capsule, so all windows, side hatch and chutes are located close to each other on the side tilted-inwards.

Cuenca1

Reaction score
Thanks for the Addon :):):), but the left MFD of DM2-Panel is overlaid with HUD.

WingC3

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
What would be the proper installation procedure for the updated version if one had both DM2 and Inspiration 4 installed beforehand? Since the folder names have changed, I imagine there's a risk of duuplication?

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What would be the proper installation procedure for the updated version if one had both DM2 and Inspiration 4 installed beforehand? Since the folder names have changed, I imagine there's a risk of duuplication?
Hi,
only the Scenario folder name has changed (and some new .cfgs and changes to scenarios).
You should probably delete the old "DM2" and "Inspiration4" scenario folders, all the old scenarios are included in the new Crew Dragon 2022 package.
Allow it to overwrite the old files.
Cheers,
Brian

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
UPDATE v.230210

Various changes and feature requests......

Vessel mass and propellant increased to more realistic values:
Capsule 7200kg, Trunk 2100kg, propellant 2561kg
Aerodynamics adjusted
New RCS exhaust visuals by @francisdrake (with .cfg file option to scale larger/smaller)
Key press changes:
Ctrl+U = Jettison Trunk
N / Ctrl+N = Toggle "Glass Cockpit" view forward/back
Ctrl+Space = Show/Hide "Glass Cockpit" HUD commands list

Scenario folder name typo fixed, now "Crew Dragon 2022" (not "Crew Cragon 2022" 🤦‍♂️ )

CrewDragonMFD - changes to attitude control and reentry algorithm, etc.

Cheers,
BrianJ

Marg

Reaction score
I understand this addon is for Orbiter2016. Because of the new atmosphere model I would like to have something for beta orbiter. Most addons do not work there.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I understand this addon is for Orbiter2016. Because of the new atmosphere model I would like to have something for beta orbiter. Most addons do not work there.
Hi Marg,
I don't follow the Orbiter Beta development - what is the problem with using Orbiter2016 add-ons?
Is it just a change in atmosphere model - or do the add-ons simply not function (CTD)?
If it is something simple, maybe I can help, but I don't really want to get into chasing the Beta developement, or making different versions etc.etc.
Cheers,
BrianJ

Marg

Reaction score
Sorry, did not try your addon there in new BETA, but yes, they mostly do not work. Nevermind, it is not so important for now.