Project CST-100

Glider

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok i'll change it.Is there a way to use another mesh as Configuration 2 in a scenario file?
Configuration 2 ? Do you mean is there a way to replace mesh in a scenario file ? If yes, then you can't change a mesh for a spacecraft3 vessel from a scenario file. You should edit an .ini file (MeshName = "path to your new mesh" ), or replace the original mesh file by the new mesh file.

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
Configuration 2 ? Do you mean is there a way to replace mesh in a scenario file ? If yes, then you can't change a mesh for a spacecraft3 vessel from a scenario file. You should edit an .ini file (MeshName = "path to your new mesh" ).

Yeah, thats what I meant. Like when the capsule is in space, the nose cap is still on, the configuration changes to one where the nose cap is off.

diogom

Reaction score
Yeah, thats what I meant. Like when the capsule is in space, the nose cap is still on, the configuration changes to one where the nose cap is off.

I think the nose cap would be ejected during launch, like a fairing. So, I guess it would have to do with multistage? :idk:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
multistage allows for a single mesh to act as a fairing. It wouldn't matter if that fairing was a nosecap so that should work fine. you'd have to watch the jettison though otherwise you risk it striking the vehicle.

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
multistage allows for a single mesh to act as a fairing. It wouldn't matter if that fairing was a nosecap so that should work fine. you'd have to watch the jettison though otherwise you risk it striking the vehicle.

Depend if he going to fly in space with cap or not.
In space couple of option,attachment,payload,or animation = scale.

But in launch this:

Code:
[BOOSTER_1]
N=1
MeshName="Multistage\cap"
Height=10
Diameter=2
EmptyMass=50
FuelMass=50
Thrust=10000
angle=0
off=(0,0,85.5)  ; [I]of course you need to tune it for your craft[/I]
BurnTime=2
BURNDELAY=121
SPEED=(5,-5,180)  ; [I]to simulate eject like in mercury tower [/I]
ENG_TEX=Exhaust2
ENG_PSTREAM1=exhaust
ENG_PSTREAM2=contrail

Error correct,it will work only at 1st stage burn time...

Last edited:

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
I had planned on working on the mesh set again, but I'll wait to update them. This is comming along nicely and it would be better to get it flying before I try to update anything. Remember I'm still a hack amature, and the more time I get to work on it. the better it will be.

I've been looking into getting the textures builtin-to 3DS into .dds files, so we can assign them in mesh editor.

Things on my list to do:
Add the windows to the capsule
place the bottom RCS where it belongs on the capsule
Fix the SM with proper RCS pods
correct the main engine size and alignment to 12 degrees outboard instead of 20 degrees(check me on this?)
Get the all RCS exhaust cones inverted so they texture properly from the outside view

Please don't expect these anytime soon, I'm still having problems finding the time with real life getting in the way this past two months.

PS I'm getting married on Dec 31, going TDY in November/December, have a fielding all month Oct, and a exercise all month Sep.

ky

Reaction score
I had planned on working on the mesh set again, but I'll wait to update them. This is comming along nicely and it would be better to get it flying before I try to update anything. Remember I'm still a hack amature, and the more time I get to work on it. the better it will be.

I've been looking into getting the textures builtin-to 3DS into .dds files, so we can assign them in mesh editor.

Things on my list to do:
Add the windows to the capsule
place the bottom RCS where it belongs on the capsule
Fix the SM with proper RCS pods
correct the main engine size and alignment to 12 degrees outboard instead of 20 degrees(check me on this?)
Get the all RCS exhaust cones inverted so they texture properly from the outside view

Please don't expect these anytime soon, I'm still having problems finding the time with real life getting in the way this past two months.

PS I'm getting married on Dec 31, going TDY in November/December, have a fielding all month Oct, and a exercise all month Sep.

Ok, thats cool. Also, congrats!

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
Mesh WIP

I got some time tonight to work on the meshs.

Rebuilt the SM from scratch but it came out decent. I don't like the engines, but maybe a texture will flesh them out better than the plain mesh can show. They are now at 12 degrees outward camber from center. Cutin the RCS as shown in the reference image. The radiators worked out OK, but don't look too close where the umbilical joins. Some day I'll figure out how to move verticies properly.

Now I just have to work out the CM.
Enjoy!

Attachments

• WIP.png
    WIP.png
    275.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

ky

Reaction score
I got some time tonight to work on the meshs.

Rebuilt the SM from scratch but it came out decent. I don't like the engines, but maybe a texture will flesh them out better than the plain mesh can show. They are now at 12 degrees outward camber from center. Cutin the RCS as shown in the reference image. The radiators worked out OK, but don't look too close where the umbilical joins. Some day I'll figure out how to move verticies properly.

Now I just have to work out the CM.
Enjoy!

She's looking good, Capt_Hensley!Would working out the CM include a hatch and windows, maybe an interior?:)

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
She's looking good, Capt_Hensley!Would working out the CM include a hatch and windows, maybe an interior?:)

Exterior features only, Hatch, Windows, RCS, Antenna, whatever we can see in the reference image. I'll leave the interior as clean as possible so someone else can install the interior accomodations.
Also I probably won't do the Parachutes and re-entry objects, but I should be able to provide the empty hull space so this too can be fleshed out.

You may remember this was supposed to be a quick thing for me, and it is your project, so I'll let you work out the details, other wise I'm just steeling all your fun, and preventing me from working on my Gateway Station. I must admit I've learned how to do some nice things in 3DS while working on this project. It's been great, and I'm glad I can help.

ky

Reaction score
Exterior features only, Hatch, Windows, RCS, Antenna, whatever we can see in the reference image. I'll leave the interior as clean as possible so someone else can install the interior accomodations.
Also I probably won't do the Parachutes and re-entry objects, but I should be able to provide the empty hull space so this too can be fleshed out.

You may remember this was supposed to be a quick thing for me, and it is your project, so I'll let you work out the details, other wise I'm just steeling all your fun, and preventing me from working on my Gateway Station. I must admit I've learned how to do some nice things in 3DS while working on this project. It's been great, and I'm glad I can help.

Right, right, I forgot you were developing that too.I have an interior,but it's as good as I can get it for right now.As for the re-entry objects, i'll have to work out a multistage file or something for it.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hey ky, I was thinking that some of the spacecraft3 capsules out there might be worth studying for some re-entry effects. Many of them have drouge 'chutes, mains and inflateables that could be studied and implemented in the -100.

I've updated the documentation a bit to reflect Boeing's selection of the Delta 4 as a launch vehicle.

@ Capt hensley - Nice work on the meshes!

ky

Reaction score
I'll try to see if I can make my own parachutes and landing bag.If not i'll "borrow" it from an add-on.

---------- Post added at 07:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 AM ----------

Wow didn't notice, 800 posts!

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I can't think of one that has a set of airbags like the CST. But several have floats that could be used for inspiration.

ky

Reaction score
Is there a way to have a VC in the capsule, without having the VC line in the SC3 file? If not, how would I position the camera view inside, so that you are surrounded by the VC?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I think there is a tutorial somewhere that mentions how to position the "camera" (for lack of a better word). Lemme see if I can dig it up.

http://www.eharm.net/shop/freeware/orbiter/developer/spacecraft2/spacecraft2.html

Well it doesn't mention how to position it, it's just in there. But, I think this might be it... By Kev33, and camera is the right word. About 3/4 down the web page, in the [CONFIG] section the CAMERA position is defined. Might not be exactly what you are looking for, but it might do the trick.

Last edited:

ky

Reaction score
Maybe I should take a look at the spacecraft 3 pdf.

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
Maybe I should take a look at the spacecraft 3 pdf.

To config VC into capsule just use for VC same mesh as capsule and set camera position.
Or check mine X-37cd.ini file to se how it's done.

ky

Reaction score
It looks worse using the Capsule mesh for the VC. I'll take a look at your config.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Another issue:Interior lighting.How would I set the ambient light levels inside of the capsule?

Last edited: