.dll Question CVEL hard to compile using VS 2005 Ex?

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm working on setting up my compiler, it's VS 2005 Express. I'm starting out simple, intending to test it by simply re-compiling an existing DLL using the given source code.

I'm using soyuztma, with CVEL source code by the CVEL man himself, David Henderson. The code is perhaps 2 maybe even 4 years old.

Anyway, going step by step through the compiler setup, I've now come to the point where I get something like 92 linking errors involving (mostly) the CVEL.lib library, getting "Unresolved External Symbol" issues.

Meanwhile in these threads I'm hearing things like "CVEL is getting out of date" and "VS 2008 might be better [for certain issues involving linking]."

So I wonder, are DLL's that call CVEL hard or impossible to compile using VS 2005 Express? If so I probably should have started with a test DLL simpler than soyuztma, but darn it, that's the one I want to play with.

Has anyone any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thank you, I have indeed been successful compiling shuttlepb before.

I suppose I could try to hack together a non- CVEL version of Soyuz, but I feel I might be embarking on an even harder quest than simply recompiling the code that was compilable before, then making little tweaks, one by one.

Anybody see that I'm doing something wrong, with so many "unresolved external symbols?"

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I use VC 2008, but whenever I get errors about unresolved external symbols, here is what I do:

1. Remove all "trouble files" from your project

2. Go to "Properties" tab of the project and delete all additional include, lib, etc directories

3. Save changes and exit properties tab.......

4. .......Then bring it right back up

5. Add the necessary additional include, lib, etc directories (presumably containing the cvel.lib and cvel.h)

6. Add the "problem" files back to your project

Then try to compile again. I know it's a pain in the butt, but it has helped me before.

Oh, and I've had similar problems with CVEL in both 2005 and 2008 editions.