New Release D3D9Client Development

Kendo

Reaction score
There,s no problem with my Ati card. I am using a 2 years older driver.
The latest drivers are not always the best.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
the flickering faces when lit by local light source is still there on R12 :( now i got a radeon hd5770, and the same happens as on hd3850)

I am sorry to hear that. I made a debug build to diagnose the local lights problem and it was reported to be fixed. http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=427985&postcount=2512

I am not going to start chasing a ghost here. I need to solid proof that something is wrong in the client and not in the user computer.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
the flickering faces when lit by local light source is still there on R12 :( now i got a radeon hd5770, and the same happens as on hd3850)

You may have posted earlier, but could you post a scenario or outline steps for testing this? I can do a quick test of this on multiple machines with different cards over the next day or so to see if I can reproduce.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I had local light source induced flickering in R10 (I think) and it dissapeared in R11c

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Also, could you make sure you have the R12 activated from the modules tab and not the R11 Debug build.

Raven

Reaction score
I'm running an nVidia GeForce 9500 with the latest drivers on an XP system and have flickering with default shader set. No flicker with Level 20 though. Not sure if that helps...

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm running an nVidia GeForce 9500 with the latest drivers on an XP system and have flickering with default shader set. No flicker with Level 20 though. Not sure if that helps...

It helps a little. Level 20 and 30 shaders are identical. Only thing that will change is the target level for shader compiler. It could be a problem in the shader compiler but it still won't explain why the anomaly occurs so rarely and not for every frame. What makes it a random issue ?

---------- Post added at 21:45 ---------- Previous post was at 21:43 ----------

The code modification I have in this post is still valid does it remove the black artifacts ? http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=427985&postcount=2512

---------- Post added at 21:47 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

Is this a Windows XP specific problem ?

Columbia42

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the issue being referred to by others, but for me the flickering is fixed with R11c but installing R12 brings the flickering back. I have an ATI Radeon 5570 GPU and Win XP.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the issue being referred to by others, but for me the flickering is fixed with R11c but installing R12 brings the flickering back. I have an ATI Radeon 5570 GPU and Win XP.

You can apply this modification to R12 and see if it has any effect to the black artifacts (link in a post below)

There are no practical difference between R11c and R12 other then R11c is compiled in debug mode and R12 in release mode.

Last edited:

Einion Yrth

Hoopy Frood
Reaction score

Radeon HD7970M here. On Win 7. Same as Raven, standard shaders == flicker lvl 20 != flicker.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Could someone post a scenario to reproduce the lighting problem using stock vessels only.

aldarion

Reaction score
possible bug

Should the engines' "flames" look like this?

Newest XR2 and R12 D3D9Client
Intel HD Graphics 3000 Win7 64bit

Attachments

• engines.jpg
    engines.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Should the engines' "flames" look like this?

That's rather clipping issue. GPU clips some polygons depending on distance to screen plane and angle.

Try both settings of highlited option

d3d9-adv1.jpg

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I've encountered similar problem in d3d9 in spacecraft I'm working on. It's present only d3d9 client and I cannot find way to solve it.

Kendo

Reaction score
As far as I,m concerned, that problem has been around for years, so not just a D3D9 problem. Probably due to camera settings. I just change the fov.

aldarion

Reaction score
Strange.

Now the problem resolved itself with no reason or change in the configuration. :shrug:

First I have changed the FOV to 60 and the clipping issue dissapeared.
When I changed it back again the clipping did not reappear.

Any ideas?

Ok. The problem did not dissapear.
It seems that it depends on the camera angle in some strange way.
When it appears then it remains (and change) for different camera angles. But sometimes it takes time (and a lot of vessel direction and camera angle changing) to get it to appear.

I have no idea. It is a random situation I think.

Last edited:

timex21

Reaction score
It's been over a year since I've used the D3D9 client - I just want to say thank you for the excellent graphics client to the developers and the community. The client is looking GREAT! Thanks again! :cheers: