Deorbit

Vipers

Reaction score
hi:rofl:

Can you help me whit the reentry? I have read some tutorial but I have not understood a lot.

I want to know when do the "deorbit burn" and what are the "s-turns" an when i do it???

thank you

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You need to specify the type of craft you're flying.

Vipers

Reaction score
sorry, I have forgotten it:leaving:

I'm using the shuttle

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
S-Turns are just done by banking the craft, while keeping AOA and Sideslip constant, so that your ground track looks like you are flying a snake or S pattern

You do such turns because by banking alone, you can regulate your descend rate, so that you are keeping a constant deceleration by drag.

The last information I remember was using 18000 km distance (falling) on map MFD for the deorbit burn, but other MFDs like IMFD might be better, as they also allow you accurate aim for reentry angle and EI altitude.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Aerobrake MFD is pretty good. I've always preferred the good ol' skip re-entry method myself, but sometimes I bounce off the atmosphere about 15 times before finally getting settled in... I may have to work on that...

Vipers

Reaction score
Hi thanks:clap:
I'm trying to use aerobrake MFD now.

I have a question (probably off-topic:angel:). I have see the video tutorial that I have download here([ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2882"]Shuttle Reentry (corrected)[/ame]) but during the reentry I don't have see the "reentry flames" is normal? someone of you knows it?

Thanks for all :speakcool::thankyou:

V8Li

Reaction score
Use the Reentry MFD, it's a simple tool that will use info like the distance from target base and your velocity to tell you the deceleration rate needed to hit the target (ie how much you need to decelerate). Get it here: http://www.orbitermars.co.uk/ .

Also you should practice reentry flights by keeping a constant vertical speed and deceleration (use the Surface MFD to get that info). Once you've mastered that you should focus on geting above the base for landing.

Good luck!

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
You need to put the dll in the modules folder.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You need to put the dll in the modules folder.

Not only that, but: "Modules/Plugin" - where all MFDs and simulation extension plug-ins go.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Not only that, but: "Modules/Plugin" - where all MFDs and simulation extension plug-ins go.

Oh crap. Sorry for the incomplete information.
I shall not post while on the phone and getting ready for the shower.

Danny Ramone

Reaction score
on this topic, are there any ideas as to why after re-entry with the DG i have lost aerodynamic control? I manged to use the RCS to perform some banks and s-bends to loose airspeed as i thought that travelling at MACH 7 may have been the issue. But even when ive lost airspeed my elevons dont want to make me bank.

any ideas?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Which DG? the standard DG from orbiter? And when yes, do you have damage and failures enabled?

Danny Ramone

Reaction score
Yeah the standard DG from the 2006 edition. I havn't checked if i have damage enabled. But even if I do, I am wondering what I am doing wrong.

Maybe i'm coming in too hot, i kinda just guessed the re-entry angle by using my orbit MFD.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah the standard DG from the 2006 edition. I havn't checked if i have damage enabled. But even if I do, I am wondering what I am doing wrong.

Maybe i'm coming in too hot, i kinda just guessed the re-entry angle by using my orbit MFD.
Disable damage and see if anything changes.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

If your reentry angle is too high or you pull too ecstatic on your stick, the DG looses aerodynamic control - and RCS creates only little thrust against the pressure of the atmosphere.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
could it be that you simply forgott to switch the control mode back from RCS to aerodynamic?