Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Have been trying to get back into DCS but running into issues on my new rig. No matter how I map it for the A-10C, both in the Beta and 1.2 releases, my X-52 just will not work properly. I can only control pitch with the stick, even though the lateral axis is mapped to Roll. The stick works fine in X-Plane 10 so I don't think it's a driver issue. And the fact that I can map the roll axis suggests the sim is detecting the movement properly at least in that menu. Same thing with the throttle. It works fine when mapping in the DCS controls menu but absolutely will not respond in the sim. Frustrating. :(

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Do you have any conflicting inputs from e.g. pedals for the same command?

If nothing else works you can delete the folder corresponding to the module you're having issues with in this path:
Code:
C:\Users\[user name]\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input

Restart DCS and the folder will be re-created, resetting the input configuration to the default setting for that specific module.

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Do you have any conflicting inputs from e.g. pedals for the same command?

No, I've gone across all my listed controllers and deleted the other entries for each command & saved the profile. Only the X-52 has entries for throttle, roll, and pitch. Only the Saitek rudder pedals have an entry for rudder. I'll try deleting the folder and letting DCS re-create it when I get home on Sunday. Thanks for the feedback/suggestion.

E

ex-orbinaut

Have been trying to get back into DCS but running into issues on my new rig. No matter how I map it for the A-10C, both in the Beta and 1.2 releases, my X-52 just will not work properly. I can only control pitch with the stick, even though the lateral axis is mapped to Roll. The stick works fine in X-Plane 10 so I don't think it's a driver issue. And the fact that I can map the roll axis suggests the sim is detecting the movement properly at least in that menu. Same thing with the throttle. It works fine when mapping in the DCS controls menu but absolutely will not respond in the sim. Frustrating. :(

I'm hearing about these problems from DCS VS guys with X52s, too. Are you running Windows 10? Apparently, don't use the Saitek drivers, just the straight forward Windows detection of the unit, and it works.

At least, so I hear.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Have an X52Pro, so here's the current deal with Windows 10:
  • Released Windows 8.1 drivers do NOT work
  • Beta drivers have been released here
  • it is necessary to disable driver signature requirement for the installation using this procedure.
  • only one specific usb port has to be used: changing it neccessitates a driver reinstall

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Are you running Windows 10?

No. Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Apparently, don't use the Saitek drivers, just the straight forward Windows detection of the unit, and it works.

I'm using the SST sofware, which according to what I've read on the ED forums is necessary if I want to use one of the throttle thumb wheels for Zoom View. You have to use the SST profile to set it as an 'undefined' control.

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

I think I may have found an answer. Basically, it's a feature, not a bug. See page 2 of this thread (and my restrained response... ):
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=70697

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I think I may have found an answer. Basically, it's a feature, not a bug. See page 2 of this thread (and my restrained response... ):
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=70697
From your post:
Using the keyboard commands in place of existing physical controls at any point, in my opinion, defeats the purpose of having a HOTAS controller.
Except that you don't have any existing physical controls for the left or right engine. You have only a single axis that you've assigned to control both engines as a simplification. Needing to use the keyboard to control individual engines is kind of expected in that case.

Also probably worth noting that the Saitek X52 is more than ten years old. Given the complexity of the A-10, I don't think it's unreasonable to have to reach for the keyboard every once in a while when using a previous-generation stick that wasn't really designed to handle the sheer number of systems and controls available in the simulator.

Plus, I don't really think that you're expected to be able to use nothing but the HOTAS for the startup of the aircraft. In a real A-10 cockpit, can the pilot start the plane without taking his hands off the joystick and throttle? I doubt it.

Is having to use the keyboard controls only during startup from cold-and-dark really that much more of a suspension of disbelief than any other actions?

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
IMHO its a useful feature: the keyboard controls simulate taking out the throttle from its idle detent position: if this idle detent were to be mapped to the real 0% throttle position one would risk shutting down the engines each time idle thrust is selected.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
IMHO its a useful feature: the keyboard controls simulate taking out the throttle from its idle detent position: if this idle detent were to be mapped to the real 0% throttle position one would risk shutting down the engines each time idle thrust is selected.

Can't happen to me. :cool:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Except that you don't have any existing physical controls for the left or right engine. You have only a single axis that you've assigned to control both engines as a simplification. Needing to use the keyboard to control individual engines is kind of expected in that case.
I guess my expectation was that both throttles would move together. I wasn't trying to use it to control either the left or the right. Ridiculous now that I think about it, as this would result in both engines starting at the same time.

Also probably worth noting that the Saitek X52 is more than ten years old. Given the complexity of the A-10, I don't think it's unreasonable to have to reach for the keyboard every once in a while when using a previous-generation stick that wasn't really designed to handle the sheer number of systems and controls available in the simulator.

I see your point, and was wondering if that were the issue, which is why I asked if other sticks like the Warthog see this as well.

Plus, I don't really think that you're expected to be able to use nothing but the HOTAS for the startup of the aircraft. In a real A-10 cockpit, can the pilot start the plane without taking his hands off the joystick and throttle? I doubt it.

Not really what I was going for anyway. My hands weren't even on the HOTAS during startup until I got to the part of the procedure that required moving the throttle.

Is having to use the keyboard controls only during startup from cold-and-dark really that much more of a suspension of disbelief than any other actions?

Yeah I suppose you're right. I really shouldn't be allowed to post to any forums after I've spent more than an hour around my ex-wife. I always end up sounding like a whining :censored:.

Last night when I got home I put away my whining & fired up the sim. Using the key commands to move each throttle to idle, I was able to get the A-10C started. Going to stop trying to figure out why I don't remember this being an issue before and just enjoy the fact that I'm back in business. :thumbup:

Thanks,
2VU

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
"MiG 28s, no one's been this close before!"

Awesome, will definitely be ready for that one.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
"MiG 28s, no one's been this close before!"

Awesome, will definitely be ready for that one.

If the F-14 also comes out, we definitely need the MiG-28 paint job and a multiplayer session :lol:

But the F-5 pilot also definitly needs "Baklavah" as call sign on the helmet. :tiphat:

E

ex-orbinaut

LOL!

Someone got a dusty old vinyl to dig out from somewhere? It had a picture of Kelly McGillis and some other dude on the cover, sure it is around here somewhere...

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
But the F-5 pilot also definitly needs "Baklavah" as call sign on the helmet. :tiphat:

But who gets the call signs "Dead Meat" or "Washout"? :lol:

When do you think DCFS will come out with the Oscar EW-5894 Fallus Tactical Fighter Bomber a.k.a the Folland Gnat?

Last edited:
E

ex-orbinaut

But who gets the call signs "Dead Meat" or "Washout"? :lol:

When do you think DCFS will come out with the Oscar EW-5894 Fallus Tactical Fighter Bomber a.k.a the Folland Gnat?

:lol:

Ah! Sish-kebab!

aim9l_01.jpg

But as good as that movie was, they never had this. Must have them simulated next update. Gad!

Last edited by a moderator: