Gaming Digital Combat Simulator Thread

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I haven't upgraded to the DCS World 2 beta yet. I've heard of performance increases along with improved graphics.

However, I mainly fly the A-10C and was wondering if there's any issues with the aircraft in the beta?

Also, does the beta overwrite the original DCS World? If not, is it hard to get aircraft installed into parallel installations?

Edit: While I'm at it, is there any speculative release date for DCS:W2? As in a "mostly finished" product with the majority of bug chasing done? I've just always been weary of betas because of gremlins that like to lurk around in weird places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Nope, DCS OpenBeta 1.5 and the newly released OpenAlpha 2.0 with the Nevada terrain are completely separate installs:
eS8fEtk.jpg

The installer is quite smart and copies over the identical files from the existing installation.

Right now the Alpha channel was created since the new terrain uses a new-generation terrain engine and the Black Sea map isn't yet compatible with it. Otherwise, the 1.5 beta and 2.0 alpha are identical. I expect them to be merged some time in the future, returning to only one pre-release channel.

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 21:23 ----------

First Nevada flight report: Imgur album link :)

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Yep, I only did one flight in the A-10C but all modules are available! You just have to install them through the in-game module-manager and not download them from the website.

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

I use an X52 stick and throttle (not Pro) with DCS 1.2.whatever it is now.

How do you go about transferring the profiles into 1.5? I know I downloaded a profile originally that had to 1.) extract to, and then activate through the Saitek software.

But 2.), there was a lua file somewhere that I had to open through DCSW itself to get all the buttons and axis assigned correctly.

How does this process work with 1.5? Is it just a matter of going into 1.5 and doing each button/axis manually, one by one? If so, that sounds like a major pain in the rear.

Actually, this question and potential issue has been the only thing preventing me from upgrading. I even paid for the NTTR map some time ago. I just don't know how to go about getting all my controls set up in the new versions.

I'd greatly prefer not having to relearn how to fly the A-10C. It took me long enough to become proficient at it in the first place. Going all the way back to square one would make me shed a few tears/drop a few bricks.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Can't really help with that, I'm sorry. I prefer to use the joystick's profiler software for all keybindings, leaving the in-game controls as untouched as possible (the only thing needed are the axis assignments) in order to be able to easily backup all my profiles between versions.

It should be possible to transfer the .lua files defining the controls but considering that in upgrades the number/function of the bindings might change it isn't recommended, from what I've seen.

Unrelated news: the Mirage 2000-C has been released! It's still an open beta and I don't own it, but it seems to be coming along nicely. :)

E

ex-orbinaut

Unrelated news: the Mirage 2000-C has been released! It's still an open beta and I don't own it, but it seems to be coming along nicely. :)

Yeah, it works nicely. Had it since it was released. Still a lot of stuff not working in the beta, where systems are concerned, but it is usable in game.

Mirage.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah, it works nicely. Had it since it was released. Still a lot of stuff not working in the beta, where systems are concerned, but it is usable in game.

Mirage.jpg

Is it with a French cockpit or do they plan to also add a Swiss cockpit as well?

E

ex-orbinaut

It's a French cockpit. I'm not sure about an official Swiss cockpit in the making; don't know, but maybe someone will make a mod with placarding, at least?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's a French cockpit. I'm not sure about an official Swiss cockpit in the making; don't know, but maybe someone will make a mod with placarding, at least?

I remember seeing a photo somewhere, with German labels mixed with French labels. But it was a IIIS not a 2000, so I am wrong there, the Swiss Airforce did never use Mirage 2000. :facepalm:

E

ex-orbinaut

I remember seeing a photo somewhere, with German labels mixed with French labels. But it was a IIIS not a 2000, so I am wrong there, the Swiss Airforce did never use Mirage 2000. :facepalm:

Well, the Peruvians use a mixed up French / English placarded cockpit. Guess you'll just have to get used to it as is. :lol:

Cockpit_Dassault_Mirage_2000_%287443127844%29.jpg

At least the search said it was a Peruvian version, but the civil designation up in the left is F... so, null.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Very nice aircraft to fly, definitely one that you strap on your back more than one in which you sit:
6GyuFHn.jpg

jWcljwz.jpg

Avionics should be roughly comparable to F-16A models in complexity and capability (much simpler than the A-10C's, but also less capable):
tYkVxHR.jpg

That is, until the front falls off:
pUGe64S.jpg

unBsHL9.jpg

Whoever hasn't tried Tacview out yet should do so: it's a great learning tool!

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Very nice aircraft to fly, definitely one that you

That is, until the front falls off.

At least you were flying outside the environment when it happened...

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Whoever hasn't tried Tacview out yet should do so: it's a great learning tool!

What do you think, is the professional version worth its 50€ or is the 20€ home version good enough for everyday use?

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
It depends on what you would like to do.

Here's a rundown of the exclusive features of the Professional edition:
  • Strategic View
  • One-Click Charts
  • Online Debriefing Host
  • Real Time Online Analysis (not available yet, in development)

The first two are probably the most useful if you're mainly flying alone: the first one would make it possible to keep an eye on an entire theater (for big missions) while the one-click charts might come in handy to, for example, evaluate your energy management in a dogfight. The standard edition also supports export through .csv files, however.

The last two features should come in handy only if you're flying online, I think.

If you can spare the cash and intend on flying DCS regularly you might want to get the Professional edition.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
ED Website said:
Minimum system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i3; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: 2 GB RAM card, DirectX11 - compatible; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+; RAM: 16GB; Hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / ATI R9 290 DirectX11 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

The requirements are pretty steep and I'm not sure it would run in Wine (I just haven't read of anyone attempting it), but DCS World itself is free, so no harm in trying.