Dont You Wish You Could Combine These Two Mercury Programs?

Lanzfeld

Reaction score
I'm back to Orbiter after a rather large break (a few years!) and can't wait to try the 2010 version. I have to say though that I am really shocked that I cannot find any real updates to the excellent "Project Mercury" mod. Does the "old" version work in Orbiter 2010? I remember the old version was left uncompleted as the systems were not really modeled with much detail. Has nobody taken over the developement of this project to give us a more detailed version?

So for my Mercury fix I found "A-OK! The Wings Of Mercury" which models the systems with acceptable detail and allows a random failure mode which is really great and lets you practice emergency proceedures. The ECS and electrics can fail and the whole world, as far as recovery zones and comms, is modeled with detail. The physics model, however, is a bit off and the controls have issues. The graphics are a bit old as well.

I wish I could combine the systems and network of "A-ok! The Wings Of Mercury" with the physics, atmosphere, and graphics of "Orbiter" to have my ultimate Mercury sim.

Anyone know of any Mercury developements around here or anyone play A-ok! and what do you think of it?

Cheers!:cheers:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm back to Orbiter after a rather large break (a few years!) and can't wait to try the 2010 version. I have to say though that I am really shocked that I cannot find any real updates to the excellent "Project Mercury" mod. Does the "old" version work in Orbiter 2010? I remember the old version was left uncompleted as the systems were not really modeled with much detail. Has nobody taken over the developement of this project to give us a more detailed version?

So for my Mercury fix I found "A-OK! The Wings Of Mercury" which models the systems with acceptable detail and allows a random failure mode which is really great and lets you practice emergency proceedures. The ECS and electrics can fail and the whole world, as far as recovery zones and comms, is modeled with detail. The physics model, however, is a bit off and the controls have issues. The graphics are a bit old as well.

I wish I could combine the systems and network of "A-ok! The Wings Of Mercury" with the physics, atmosphere, and graphics of "Orbiter" to have my ultimate Mercury sim.

Anyone know of any Mercury developements around here or anyone play A-ok! and what do you think of it?

Cheers!:cheers:

Sigh
Yeah, Id say we have a few projects fall by the wayside due to lack of maintenance in the last few years. If youre really dying for this to happen, I would suggest contacting whoever the OHM Mercury Project package was uploaded by and checking whether they would be willing to update/assist/release sources/etc. (be polite though, it is intelectual property). Depending on how that goes, you can try making an addon request in the section for requests, assemble a development team, and so on. If you do end up taking the latter route, though I would suggest maybe waiting 2-3 months to make your pitch for that. For a project of the type youre thinking about youll probably need at least 2 fairly experienced developers to have a realistic chance of success, and a fair number of them are tied up in projects that are close to completion in the next couple of weeks (hopefully).

Good luck :thumbup:, and thankyou for bringing this up, a Project Mercury addon would be nice to have available again

Lanzfeld

Reaction score
It seems that maybe Mercury 5.0 works with Orbiter 2010?

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It seems that maybe Mercury 5.0 works with Orbiter 2010?

Cant rule that out completely, but just about everything from Orbiter 2006 and earlier refuses to display properly (no mesh), probably due to a change in how the programs file directories were accessed and located. Youre sure?

Lanzfeld

Reaction score
No I have not tried it myself but I just read that someone else had it working in Orbiter 2010 but who knows?

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The meshes, textures, etc. works on every release of Orbiter. The problem is that the module isn't compatible with Orbiter 2010.

It doesn't seem that the author of Project Mercury is available anymore, so an update can't be expected, but the source code is available here, so maybe some who knew how to code and what the difference is between the Orbiter 2006-code and 2010-code, could make it compatible for Orbiter 2010?

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I'm also a Mercury fan.

There was a way to get it to work partially in Orbiter 2010, but even in Orbiter2006 it had some bugs.

Bibi Uncle was working on an update
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/blog.php?b=924

At any rate, I don't think that it needs the in depth level of systems details, if that's whats holding it down. Something at perhaps an FOI Antares level with a few working switches would be great, or even a spacecraft3 treatment.

Lanzfeld

Reaction score
Well I hope that Bibi Uncle gets it working in Orbiter 2010. Not to mention if he improves the systems on it. I am sooooooo wanting this and I don't want to go back to 2006 to run it. I'll drop him a line I guess.

I still can't believe this mod hasnt skyrocketed with updates and such. To me, the realistic ships are the best and mercury is an icon.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

I don't think he has done anything on this in 2012.

Lanzfeld

Reaction score
I talked to Rob and he said he would look at getting Mercury compatible with 2010. No promises though. This is VERY GOOD NEWS!

We don't know what happened to 6.0

Last edited:

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.101stAirborneDivisionClan.com
Here Here!

Ill take a piece of that dev team if it gets assembled. My coding skills are not all that but I am extremely willing to learn or just do redundant things. Painting, detailed meshwork etc., I'll even test the heck out of anything you want. Or anything else you need Lanzfeld. You have my full help and support for this project.

I have always felt that in order to understand and to fully enjoy this sim/orbital mechanics/aerospace tech/all other aspects of science this mod simulates, one might wish to study how NASA and other space agencies learned and studied from their tests in the earliest days.

To me the Mercury and Gemini Program -even the X-1 as well as other projects have always been my prefered 1st grade sort to speak. I also have been gone for a bit of a stent and after roadblocking myself on some concepts, I'm ready to start in 1951 in Orbiter 2010. I'd like to delve into Sputnik too.

Anyway, you have my full support and my offerings for any hard work you need done sir. Its good to see someone else has a similar interest.

Consequently, I've been asking for an attitude indicator (a.k.a. 8ball, IMU Gimbal, FDAI, ADI) from Mercury and Gemini MFD external to those packages for use in Apollo, and Atlantis and other uses. The FDAI in Attitude II stopped working since Orbiter 2006 so I think my argument has been that if NASA used it in those three projects, as well as on the Space Shuttle, why don't we have it?
A Horizontal Indicator is NOT the same thing. So getting Mercury and Gemini to be updated, getting into the code, and getting my ADI/FDAI 8 ball outta this will be extremely worth it to me.

Thank you
:cheers: