Ec1 Inspiration was (New DeltaGlider style ship)

Russ_H

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
in need of some coding help

Hi, all

solar panel code
I can code the batteries, usage, panels and switches but the math to see if where the ship is is a little hard for me.

I am looking for someone that can code if the ship is in sun light or not. It would be nice to debug this with the ship I am working on and then make it an sdk.

PM if you would like to work on this.

Russ

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
the beta I was testing works good :) apart from there being retro thrusters that appear about 4meters above the wings

Russ_H

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
the beta I was testing works good :) apart from there being retro thrusters that appear about 4meters above the wings

I think you are talking about lights.

I have no retro thrusters coded.

Russ

Russ_H

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
System failures

Is it ok for each system to have a %2 chance of failure at all times when the ship is new.

Should this number be higher?

Failure % will increase with age and can be reduced with preventive maintenance.

Russ

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
how about a %5 chance ?

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Wait, a 2% chance is fairly high (I would think) for a spacecraft. How often would this posibility of malfunction be computed?

Another idea would be to put the failure chance in the config, so the end user can change it (sort of like the XR series' "cheat codes"), so if the end user thinks that it breaks down to much, they can change the percentage/probablilty.

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wait, a 2% chance is fairly high (I would think) for a spacecraft. How often would this possibility of malfunction be computed?
For an XR-class vessel, I agree. A futuristic vessel like these I think would have the same reliability as modern airliners. According to this presentation, http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Aer...8E3F-4339-B67E-664318D46F41/0/reliability.pdf that seems to be about 0.01% per flight. If we convert it to reliability per hour of flight and call it an average 3 hours per flight, that .003%/hr (~8E-7%/sec - how often I would compute it). Lets further decide that any system failure results in an 'accident'. The Earth moon run is about 7 days (lets round up to 200 hrs). We're still above 99% reliability. Mars at 3 years (26,280 hrs), on the other hand, has about a 70% chance of failure. This isn't quite accurate, though, as most accidents occur at takeoff and landing, of which there is still only one of each per trip. One percent seems high to me per trip, as the Space Shuttle is at about 2%.

Another idea would be to put the failure chance in the config, so the end user can change it (sort of like the XR series' "cheat codes"), so if the end user thinks that it breaks down to much, they can change the percentage/probablilty.
This is the best way, as people wanting to do station-building, for instance, could set the level at a more 'realistic' level, and those that wanted to practice emergency procedures could set it high. It would also be a good idea to set reliability values for each system. Avionics would be very reliable, but mechanicals/hydraulics or TPS would be less so.

The key is that if failures are possible, there has to be something the pilot can do about it. Otherwise, why simulate them?

Russ_H

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wait, a 2% chance is fairly high (I would think) for a spacecraft. How often would this posibility of malfunction be computed?

Thanks for the feed back

I know I am going to need a a file to keep track of all the ships age and use.

Maybe I could load a specific ship file per scenario. This way a ship could be used in other scenario and keep all it's data from all the times it was used.

When the user names the ship in the scenario the ship will keep track of it's use in that named file.

There would always be a code to turn off all failures.
Russ